Masters Running

Wednesday, July 9 Runs, Walks, etc. (Read 628 times)

evanflein

I have to say that when he drew the graphic on the screen with his pointer of the normal width specifications of the aortic valve next to my aortic valve it was only then that I realized there is something wrong with me.
    Geez Ribs, gotta paint it in black and white for you, no? Seriously, so glad you got this checked out and have a plan of action. We expect to have you grouching around here for a long time so getting this fixed right away is imperative. Tramps, not TMI... thanks for the info. I won't hit the 50 for another couple years but this procedure is something we all need to think about and schedule when the time is right. Holly, no cement geese here. Most yards around here are just full of weeds and dog doo. Enke, very nice run. You have a right to be proud of yourself for that one. Raining and gloomy again today. Ran 6 on the treadmill last night, those first 5 miles at 6.8 mph (8:49 m/m) at 1% are so hard to do. I find my form gets sort of sloppy and I wander side-to-side a lot. Last mile I upped to 7.2 (8:20), which is about MP and felt so much better. I felt I could've gone on another 5 miles easily at that pace... But starving children and soccer duty called so I had to go. Tonight is supposed to be 8 with hills... hope it stops raining. I hate muddy shoes.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning All Ribs: There is not much more I can say that has not been already said, except to say that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. In the short time I have been here at RA you have helped me to run some of my best races ever. I need you here to continue to push me (and tell me when to slow down) so get well soon. Tim: I run my speed sessions at a high school track also. It just happens to be the school I ran track for. Like you, running at the track brings back some really great memories. Sometimes when I come around the last turn on the last interval, I am taken back to those days and I can see in my mind's eye friends and family in the stands cheering me on. I guess we are like old firehorses, when we here that bell we take off! I did 6 miles easy today in 55:07 a 9:12 pace. 8x100m strides over the last mile. Still felt like a nice easy pace over the whole run. Have a great day everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mainerunnah - I am so jealous. My ultimate goal is to retire and live on a trout stream - especially with the privacy you describe. It's too cold in Maine, though, so I'll have to settle for the White River in Arkansas or Taneycomo in Missouri.
        I'm a Mainiac born and bred and have lived here all my life excepting of course my 3 year hitch with Uncle Sam's Army! Anyway, I'm not too sure how many more winters I have left in me...my wife and I really like it in Arizona during the winter...maybe just maybe someday we'll winter in that area and be back in Maine for Spring, Summer and Fall. Now that would really be "the way life should be" at least for me! Ahhh no more running in blizzards and very few if any runs on the dreadmill...what a life that would be! Big grin
          bummer - my computer didn't send my reply --- ok here goes again spareribs and tramps -- thank you for sharing your personal health information with us -- it is so valuable and an important message for us all!! thinking positive thoughts for you both!! help me with my math a bit -- i'm thinking .25 miles on treadmill = 1/4 mile = 400 meters -- or pretty close right? hit the gym -- figured treadmill fan and a/c were much smarter options for my midday workout than the noon high sun, heat and humidity .. total time 37 min 3.73 miles incl warmup and cool down........ did 4 sets of .25 miles which i'm thinking 400 meters at an 8:50 pace ....... majority of the time i ran at a 9:30 pace with the exception of warmup/cooldown and recovery segments - felt good!! then did some PT abs/stretching/squats - now i need a NAP - working 12 hours tonight - first night back after 2 weeks off -- caffeine will be my friend at 3am i'm sure!! thanks for all the birthday wishes for my son - we had a great night with family, friends and a nice group of 14 yr olds!! happy healthy wednesday to all!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim: I run my speed sessions at a high school track also. It just happens to be the school I ran track for. Like you, running at the track brings back some really great memories. Sometimes when I come around the last turn on the last interval, I am taken back to those days and I can see in my mind's eye friends and family in the stands cheering me on. I guess we are like old firehorses, when we here that bell we take off!
            Well, about off to run to my old high school track for my 1000's. Everything back in the day were 220's 440's - and 880's and such....this metric stuff throws me waaaay off. I have very fond memories of high school track and my coach yelling...go go go, faster faster faster, puke puke puke...ahhh, those were the days...still are Smile Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago also Shocked. I still see my old track coach out running sometimes still...which is nice to see. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

So the rain seems to have stopped, the sun is peeking out, the pavement has dry spots... I figured I would try to fit in my run at lunchtime after all. Get down to the locker room, change into running togs, put hair in pony tail, then reach for... my... socks...? I don't believe it... no socks. Angry How'd I miss that item?? Oh well, get dressed again, go get lunch from the fridge. Rats. Oh well... I was planning on an after-work run anyway. Just hope the rain holds off. Meetings all afternoon... yawn.
              DickyG

OK...back from meetings...and a rotten run... Twocat: Upcoming marathon sounds like a brutal course, but judging from your workouts, you're ready. Tim: Really awed at your ambitious program! You're doing 3 times the mileage and 2 more days than I'm doing...and I'm always exhausted. Oh yeah...and I made over $50,000 on one of those e-mail things...send me a cashier's check for $1.40 and I'll tell you how... Nonoruns: 3 miles in 84 degree heat is a great effort. dg: Thought you were coming along nicely with your gym workouts...yesterday's post didn't sound good...think you're past the "rub some dirt on it & walk if off" stage. TomWhite: Yes, you DO own the Brooklyn Bridge...don't you remember I sold it to you last year? Tramps: OK...go ahead...describe to us your pre-colonoscopy day...I dare you. Gordon: 20:54 in the heat...awesome, man! Enke: 12 miles...negative splits...80 degrees...I need a nap just thinking about that. ...and Ribs: As you stated, I won't make a big issue of this...but: First of all, is an echogram and an ultrasound about the same thing? If so, I know the prodedure...I do one every year due to my dad's blockages. Second...yeah, I know about degenerative calcification and the fact that replacing the valve is open-heart stuff. Coumadin is excellent medicine! But you need to lay off it if you're planning on getting a face lift anytime soon. My buddy Mac, also a cardiologist, read your post and without any additional info said "This is a common procedure...no big deal." Look, if you are gonna be out of commission for a while, you seem to have established a rep as a great coach. So...here's my problem...I'm hitting my irons great but hooking the hell out of my woods..club championship is in 2 weeks...and please don't tell me "take 2 and hit to right".. Got in a run this afternoon...about 90 degrees out there so I went to the local h.s. track and did 4 miles...was walking some after 2 but still managed 39:23, not all that miserable in those conditions. DickyG

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

No time to read barely time to post.... 6 EZPZ in Muggy wuggy

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Went out at 3:30 pm for a 3 1/2 mi run -- out to the boards, down to the sand, back home via the streets. I started thinking of the sheer variety of sports/games I encountered on a simple 3.5 mi run...in no particular order: - walking - bicycling - basketball - swimming - rowing - surfing - in-line skating - baseball - volleyball - badminton - horse shoes - football I probably forgot one or two...oh yeah, other runners too! It's so easy to go "do" when everyone else is doing. Definitely not the most sedentary town in the U.S.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

...thanks dickyG//....musta lost the receipt..... oh,,ps,,,,,,90min hike...... ...............good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

8.27 Miles easy - 1:11:53 - (8:41) Avg HR - 130 / Max HR 141 8:55 - 8:50 - 8:58 - 8:41 - 8:20 - 8:25 - 8:44 - 8:38 - 2:18 Temp - 84 Degrees - Humidity - 74% - and quite windy too! I got caught in heavy rain 5 miles out but at least there was no thunder or lightning. I'm glad I got this one out of the way, enjoyed a nice dip in the river afterwards. Big grin
                          Tramps, do NOT take that bet and tell us about the day B4, no no no. That would be wrong. Tight lipped Dicky--funny how doctors can say it's "no big deal" when it is not their chest that is going to be cut open! Holly--my neighbor has a life sized statue of a horse in the garden--ok, it's a big house around the corner, on a quiet street, but still. It makes me think of the statues in the park when I was kid we used to climb on. I asked Daniel if we should take Frank over to see what he'd do but he said no, he'd probably just pee on it. Ribs--keep us posted, you know we care. I ran 7 this morning and got to hear Jesse Ventura on NPR. It was a hoot! grins, A ps: Didja see the score on the Sox game today? Big grin
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          dg.

{{{{Ribs}}}} welcome back, Gordon. very nice job. Erika, I keep waiting for that. I load the bag the night before, only 1/2 check it in the morning because after all, i am still cognizant. aren't i? of at least some things? Wink. worst i've done so far was to forget my water. other than trying to open the locker with my car clicker. Roll eyes but i think i already told you about that. I hope your weather holds. I have a couple of feet related links to send to you. DickyG, Smile. You may be right. that would probably mean i should roll in it. (the dirt). Today was a little better.. I did 25 on the elliptical, & then ran a mile without hurting my feet too much. so happy. then 20 on the arc trainer, 10 on the recumbant bike which i should've skipped but couldn't. (it's illegal). assorted stability ball exercises then stretches & then I was late & hurried home. thanks for noticing. -). thanks for your advice the other day. i've put a lock on the microwave door. 90F?? wtg! deez4, you're doing so well. Big grin.
                              Ribs I wish you well. I have a sister-in-law you had the procedure 4 weeks ago and is doing very well. Holly I noticed the goose thing was very popular in the Dayton area 15 years ago. Up here in NE Ohio I see them once in awhile. One of my brothers lived in the Dayton area up until 5 years ago, they had a goose with at least 8 different outfits. Also there had to be 25 others within one mile. No run for me today, I'm preparing for my colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Bill I vacationed in Marco Island in 1986 & one acre of beach front property had a for sale sign of 1.2 million.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Ribs, Thanks for sharing. We all will benefit from your openness and I am sure will model you during our own health issues. 6 mile hard run today 9:11 warm up 8:06 8:10 8:05 8:10 9:18 cool down pretty happy with this effort and now a slow recovery day tomorrow right ribs ? Holly, The cement goose thing was big around here a few years ago. I remember one lady had a whole family in her yard. She dressed them for every season. right now they would be in their red white and blue. It must be for people who like to sew I would guess. Gordon, Great race time. Hope you had a great vacation. My physical is in December and he already hinted that I was getting a colonoscopy this time. My father had one every year and they usually found a polyp or two. Genetics can be good and bad. Here is to every ones health Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down