Masters Running

Saturday, April 19th Daily (Read 429 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

C'mon Teresa--Maine isn't that far from Boston. head on down for the day, or the weekend, or all three days. Wink does Maine celebrate Patriot's Day? I had heard that it is the only other state to do so, as it used to be part of MA. I'm afraid I'm going to miss the Beer's party tonight, but am making plans to be downtown for the trials meeting at Bob's. it's probably too warm for IRC at the moment, but should be nice and cool tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to meeting as many folks as possible. I just wish I could get the day off to go watch the regular marathon. Sad 44 and sunny at 7 for a 6.6 mile bike ride around the lake. it's amazing how the population there increases with the temperature. Since it took me a little over 27 minutes, that means that I can ride faster than the marathoners, but I'm not sure I could do the entire distance at that speed at the moment Shocked Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

btb1490

Happy Saturday, gang! Vista- your kickoffs here the past couple of days have been great! Thanks! Looking forward to following the mockingbird trail! mainerunnah- how very fortunate for me that CNY spotted you at the expo! It was great to meet you! You certainly looked primed and ready to go! Peter- Nice running conditions for you. I'm not sure if you ever mentioned what your next event was? anachrotech- It's good to hear you are having some good runs finally! dg- careful on that ladder please! Cmom- Good luck with your runs and projects this weekend. I hope the foot continues to do well. CNY- I guess you made it home ok! I was worried with all the yawning you were doing before you left! What an honor and treat it was for me to meet you yesterday! Sarge- That's a lot of squatting for today! Good luck! nono- One of my favorite purchases ever has been a home weather station. No more guessing how it is outside. Keep up the great runs with your partners! TomS- I checked in a few runners from MI at the expo last night, and the talk usually was of the snow this winter. I'm glad you are finally having nice weather to run in. The hip is doing ok? Teresa- lots of record setting in your family! Good stuff! Stumpy- see you tomorrow! Nice day for a bike ride! Tallrunner- give 'em heck in your half! You are one fast runner! Greetings from Boston! I wish I could pack each and every one of you up and bring you here for this weekend. Whether you are running the race or not, it's an exciting weekend to be in the city. I arrived yesterday without incident via ferryboat and then train, had just enough time to dump off my stuff at my room then get to the expo for the 2pm volunteer meeting, where I was to meet up with CNYrunner. Even though I'd never met her before, I knew immediately who she was when I spotted her. You can tell just by looking at her that she is a really fast runner! And within minutes of speaking with her, you can also tell she is a really great person. As she mentioned in her post, it was very fortunate (for me at least!) that we got stationed next to each other with our volunteer assignments, giving us a chance to have some nice conversations. Since this would probably be the only CNY sighting for the weekend, I was ecstatic that things worked out this way. Thanks Karin for a very nice time. As she also mentioned, we met up with other wonderful boomers there. Henrun and Marj, always smiling, had Ileneforward, always smiling, in their company. Ilene looked like she was really enjoying her Boston experience so far. Then CNY spotted mainerunnah passing by. He has a lot of good karma working for him this weekend, and is ready for a great race. Aamos' bib number was handled by CNY. I want 1/10th of the energy that that woman has. Just being around her leaves you out of breath! It was fun to watch her and CNY gab like they have been buddies forever. Amy's haircut looks quite good on her, and will no doubt shave minutes off her marathon time. wa5yom, aka Tim, called me to find out where we were stationed, and he stopped and chatted for a bit. Thanks for hunting us down, Tim. He looked nice and relaxed and ready to run well. I was in heaven meeting all these great people. What a fun evening, thanks to all of you! Handing out bib #'s and chips to the runners was a lot of fun. It was great to see the mix of people and their different attitudes. Some were so focused and serious and had tunnelvision, others were very laid back and casual. Then there was the excitement of the first timers. Watching the wonder and amazement in them was the best. Everyone was so friendly and eager to talk about their plans. What a really great time it was! Had a nice morning here with my buddy from Seattle, the fellow I was supposed to run the race with. He is so pumped and ready to run under 3 hours, I really excited for him! He found a really cool breakfast spot, in a part of the city I'd never been to, mostly because it's all residential. But in the middle of it all was this tiny old style breakfast hole that had the best food. Then we went to the expo to check him in, and to browse a bit. Picked up a few things, did some other errands, and now I'm packing a box of tissues, getting ready to head out to meet up with Amy and her family for the first time. Amy called me last night while I was at the expo, to say goodnight and tell me about her day. Her mom finally had to take the phone from her because she was going on endlessly! Smile As CNY pointed out, they will be stationed at mile 13 of the marathon. I hope the Wellesley girls don't frighten them away! Wink Wish you all were here... Smile

King of PhotoShop

I wish people would stop making a fuss about Aamos. As everyone knows, I don't like Aamos. Also, Karin and Bob have already started rubbing our nose in it that they are meeting all these neat people. Have I ever met Mainerunnah, CNY, Ilene, btb? NO! So knock it off! The only people I know in that group you guys mentioned are Aamos (see above), some skinny guy from Oklahoma who can now kick my butt, so I have no use for him, and Henry and Marj who don't count because they also know everyone else so I have no exclusivity with them. Next thing you know Holly will post that she had dinner last night with Frank Shorter. It's Saturday and I'm already getting pretty cheesed off here. Volunteered at the Hound Dog Hustle. Everyone in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area who owns a dog must have been at that race. Or to put it another way, every dog in the area brought his owner to the race. What a madhouse! Beautiful day too. I was a course marshal and had a ball. Hey, I met Carol40 who sometimes posts here, very nice lady, so that adds to my list of Boomers I know and I didn't eveb have to go to Boston. After the race I jogged a slow 4.3 miles on dirt back at my local track. This gives me my first 25 mile week which I will do for two more weeks, then up it by 5. I am just having so much fun right now, and not one mile of speed at all. Life is good. Teresa, what a swell run with your daughter! Vista, I am old enough to remember when the song "Mockingbird Hill" was number one. See if I recall how that refrain went: "tra la la, tweedly dee dee, it gives me a thrill; to wake up in the morning to the mockingbird's trill..."
          Aw Spareribs....our favorite curmudgeon! Big grin I don't know about Holly having lunch with Frank Shorter, but he was on the same flight with Aamos. For real! .......running out of the forum now while ducking..... Karin
            Good Saturday afternoon boomers. It's exactly 4 weeks until the half marathon I'm registered in takes place. The schedule called for 10 miles today. Finished the 10, felt like I had something left in my legs and got 2 more. My longest distance in quite a while! It took me 1:52:30 but I'm okay with that. The weather was 44F, spitting rain and strong winds out of the northwest. I think I can complete the half, hopefully without too much trouble. Hey Boston people - thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Even if we can't be there, it's nice to live the experience through all of you. Behave yourselves this weekend so you're ready to run your fastest races ever, and be sure to post all of your wonderful stories next week. Good luck and Godspeed to all of you! (I'd say "break a leg," but I don't think that's the right quote for people running a marathon!) Jeanne
            Dave59

I ran my first "race" in 6 months. The Great Lakes Loons 2nd Annual Pennant Race. The Loons are a minor league team that came to our town last year. I am in pretty bad shape right now, so my goal was to embarrass myself into more regular workouts. I hope it worked. I finished in 28:53 (which was 5:14 slower than last year in this same race.) 9:17, 9:38, 9:06, :53 27 of 32 in the mens 45-49 group. 401 of 609 overall.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Runners, I did 8.2 miles today in 1:24:39 a 10:20/mile pace. The weather was great, 59 and a little overcast and no wind. Vista: Thanks for starting us off today. You are right about all our "Boston" friends getting us motivated! Thanks also for the great pictures. Thanks also to everyone who gave us great reports from prerace Boston. Have a great weekend and good luck to all. At our local high school track there is a monument dedicated to my high school track coach. The plaque has his favorite saying on it: "Stay Tough." I always go over to the track and touch the plaque for luck before a race, so tomorrow after I run, I will touch it for all of you running Boston! Good luck also to those running other races this weekend. Have a great day everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

0603 65 F Started out on a 10 miles run (reverse stinky deer run... PBJ, if you're listening) There was a large group of runners this morning... must re-phrase... there were several moderate groups of runners this morning... Some were doing Waller Mill (aka reverse stinky deer run), some were doing Quarterpath, and some were running Bassett Trace. I didn't know what to do. The shirtless men took off toward Waller Mill while I was trying decide. I ended up running by myself way way behind the shirtless men. It was a wonderful run! Except, when I got to near 8 miles (per Garmin)... my pace went radically slower...but I was moving at the same speed...but I wasn't moving (per Garmin)... the darn machine stopped counting mileage for a wee bit, but, the clock kept ticking. I thought, "This is strange." Then, I started going backwards (per Garmin). I think I ran further than 10 miles (I hope I did according to the clock). Everyone from all of the groups was already sitting outside the coffee shop, laughing and having a good time when I arrived. The r.s. had a good run he kept up with the shirtless men for about 7 miles (7:30 pace) they, not being Clydesdales, started pulling away from him in the park. Hi C-Mom! How far are you running tomorrow? Hey Karin and Bob, thanks for volunteering and bringing word back from Mecca... I mean Boston. Hey Ribs. This is the 4th Hounddog run I remember hearing about... maybe you should post that photo of your son's dog... Go Stylin' Amy! p.s. We signed up for Delaware, anybody else running it?
                  LaVita
                  Mariposai

First race in 6 months is something to celebrate dave, regardless of the finish time. I hope tall did well on his HM. It seems like the fun already started in Boston. Impatiently awaiting for the pictures from there. Could someone give brb a butterfly hug for me so he in return can give the hug to Amy. I will be thinking of Amy tomorrow as I run my marathon. Nice easy resting morning at home for my butterfly wings. I made my favorite pre-race Paraguayan bread this morning. I will vacuum and dust the living room and then just take it easy with a book the rest of the afternoon. Tonight we have a Quinceanera celebration (a 15 birthday party for a Mexican girl) which is a huge, big party, almost like a wedding. There will be a lot of dancing, eating and drinking. Of course I will dance only a dozen or so songs to not tire my legs too much for tomorrow's marathon race. Weather will be fun...or not...32 and snowing...... I am still going to aim for a PR...so wish me luck. DH and I are looking forward to meeting up with arf and divechief tomorrow in Wenatchee. After the race we are going to a restaurant to celebrate the ultra queen arf's birthday. Good luck to all the weekend runners!!!!!!!!. Enjoy your Victory Lap

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

well popping in today to read Ribs' cranky attitude was definitely worth it. He's so cute when he's cheesed off. . . Although I've never had this longing desire to qualify for Boston (not that I ever could anyways), but reading all the excitemen does start one wondering what it would be like. No running for me today. Decided to take the day off and just rest. Doing a bit of stuff around the house, but have just been enjoying sleeping in til 8 a.m., making a coffee, doing a bit of laundry, etc. As much as I wish I could have gotten out there and done a nice long run today, I'm sort of enjoying the fact that there is absolutely nothing on my schedule that I have to do today. BTB - Amy should have her package by Monday. I wish she could have gotten it before you'd be meeting up with them this weekend. have a great weekend everyone!

Tammy

Geez, everyone is so upbeat today that I feel I can't whine about my last two carpy runs. On my way to the gym last night, it was hailing, torrentially! It piled up really quickly and I was a bit nervous driving. So you call this spring?? 7pm, 8 miles on the TM. Did mostly 5.6mph but put in 2 miles at 7.0mph (8:35 pace). I was going to do another fast set, but I couldn't get on my favourite TM that is directly under the ventilation system, and provides a nice cool breeze. As soon as it came up free, someone else would nab it. I guess everyone knows this secret now! 10:15 am Saturday - cold and sleeting, 5 TM miles, having to walk every mile for almost a 1/4 mile! HR was ridiculously high, not sure if that is from running 13 hours previously, or if I am still a bit sick, or both. I see Ribs is green with envy. Keep it coming guys!! CNYrunner - I forgot to mention how envious I was that you got to have dinner with a legend. It feels awesome just to "know" someone who knows Katherine S. I thought she looked beautiful in those pictures in RW in the fall.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Just a quick note since I wrote an epic earlier. Enkephalin, I loved your taper poem the other day. Have a good run in early May! Tammy, I am doing laundry and pulling weeds from between the bricks in my patio... odd combination, I know, but it all needs to get done! Tempted to go to the William and Mary baseball game instead... all proceeds go to ALS today. $5.00 to watch baseball and help with ALS research vs. chores...? What would you do?
                          LaVita
                          pfriese

Afternoon all, Even though it is just a week until my marathon, I ran a 5K in Stillwater this morning. Amazingly, I finished first in my AG. I guess the marathon training has really been paying off. 5K time: 23:10 Paul
                            mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hi, all... ...will post a run just to make sure all y'all know I'm lurking and wishing you all well. Except for Spareribs. Him, I'm just here to keep an eye on. Today was my last longish/hard run before Eugene, 2:30 of progression running. It was Postman's weather: Ran in rain, snow, sleet - it changed up from one mile to the next. The only thing I missed out on was Dark of Night, but a few of those glowering clouds offered to fix that, too. I gave thanks for modern fabrics: Although soaked to the skin in 35F, windy weather, I stayed warm until I got to the van, where I had a change of clothes. The divot in HR at Mile 14 is a trip to the Blue Room. I spent the last mile or so getting a premature ice bath, as it appeared that 4" of slush had fallen on this area while I was further out the trail. Drove home barefoot, and am now thinking good things about the extended weekend's racing while I sip my latte. Mmmm. I think I'll hide under the covers now until Spring returns. Vista, I've sent your blog to some friends who are teachers - I really enjoyed the birds last spring. Thanks.
                              TammyinGP

Have I ever met Mainerunnah, CNY, Ilene, btb? NO! So knock it off!
                                You've never met Ilene??? good grief - what are ya . . . the last person to NEVER have met her? I thought everyone has met up with Ilene before! Tongue

Tammy