Masters Running

Tuesday, October 28 Runs and Tapers (Read 476 times)

DickyG

I heard one on the radio: a woman dressed in a blue turtleneck and blue pants, got a rubber chicken and tied a rope around her neck, then attached the chicken to the rope. Guess what she was? Chicken cordon bleu!!!
    Now THAT'S cool! A couple years ago, my friend Norm made a cardboard night-table (complete with drawn-on drawers and a cardboard lamp) and cut a hole through it so he could fit it around his waist. He went as a "one night stand". DickyG
      Dark Mare is a very bright person. Big grin Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

How about in-laws? Are you willing to take some of those on, too? Big grin (I'm just joshin' here, actually they are very nice people) Debbie, sounds like the right move to rest up for a little bit. I know how hard it is for you, and I applaud your decision. Remember we talked about waiting until the pain is ALL THE WAY gone before starting back?
        Holly, it was funny. I was at the running store yesterday returning books I'd borrowed from a friend who is having knee surgery today. He was trying to talk me into cutting back... and brought out 'brain training for runners'.... opened to the very pages I faxed you about zero pain tolerance. oops. I'd honestly forgotten all about that. I don't know if I think zero is necessary, or i'd have to live in a flotation tank. But what I've been doing is ridiculous. So, a slight change for a couple of days, anyway. thanks. I know you know how hard it is! I'll consider your in-laws so you can have a back-up plan if needed.

Marathon Maniac #957

holly, how do keep track of your speed w/o. Just reading about them makes me dizzy.
          I am able to pre-program and save two interval workouts on my TM. Next week, when I pull up this program, it will be the same as it was today. If I make changes in it while I am running, the changes are saved for next time. Debbie - I'll keep that in mind.... Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yay Mary, that's splendid news. Say, check out the thread with Econo, Tammy and your "hopeful" in the subject header--I meant it for you to read, but perhaps was too obscure--[shh...it's doughnut related] Clowning around Tramps, I'm torn, as I really like voting on election day, ol' lady that I am. On the other hand, my colleague here who is a political junkie and active locally AND like me, always votes on the day, advised I should vote early. When I expressed shock, he replied: "Well, who knows if you'll get back from NYC in time?" Arrgh. Looking forward to a nice easy one later in the sun. Talk later! grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles
              Twocat's Post-Race Last Will and Testament Who Gets What List (or be careful what you wish for): DickyG stereo. That would be the circa 1995 stereo in my office. It has a CD and get this a dual casset player! Mariposaibooks from my library. Here we have priceless treasures like "Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter" or the ever popular "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science." I hope you like them! P.S. 28 pints of salsa! What do you do with all of them? Sounds great though since I love the stuff. Took me forever to find a good gazpacho recipe, which is in my view is ideally salsa soup. Smile biketm you can borrow my friends to help with your burial right after they are done with mine. Wink Anybody else looking for stuff I will no longer need after Sunday just let me know. Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

mmmm, salsa! me loves some spicy salsa! I make a good pico de gallo type salsa - chunkier I guess. And it looses some of that fresh tomato/cilantro flavor when it's been canned, so I tend to only make up fresh batches periodically. Oregon is only a mail-in ballot voting, so this weekend I'll be sitting down and filling everything out. My son, almost 9, is really into this election so we're going to sit down together and fill out the ballot and I'll explain the whole voting process to him. I'll get in a run after my dental appt this afternoon. Probably 6-7 miles.

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

Mtnck1--LOL! That "snoopy" has had way too much coffee!
                  Ahhh, but it's really good coffee! Wink btw: I already voted....our precinct was one of those 'electronically challenged" the last time Roll eyes
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Mariposai

twocats........"Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter" or the ever popular "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science." Black eye Black eye sure...do they come with a "how to read" instructional book? if not...you have time to write it for me this week...your last master piece before you die Smile too bad you got a good gaspacho recipe, because I was going to trade you recipes for books Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I haven't posted for a few days, and looking at some of the daily posts and other threads, I feel like I haven't checked in for a month or more. You guys are getting a bit out of control lately! Ran about 4.5 miles this morning in mid-30s temps but late enough that the sun was up, so pretty IRC overall. Had a real panic attack when I was ready to start (drove to a nearby trailhead) and realized that I forgot my Forerunner. A real OCD moment, as I have not run without it in several years; it was like I almost couldn't get started. But I finally overcame the compulsion to drive back home to get it, and besides I know most of the point-to-point distances on the trail. So no real harm done and maybe I'll try it again someday intentionally. I'm starting a major household project here, such as remodeling my son's old bedroom that was last decorated when he was about 8 years old, so will probably be mostly absent from the forums for a while. (Do you have any idea how many thumbtack holes one kid can put in the wall after hanging up a few dozen hockey posters and such stuff over the years?) Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

I know what you mean, Doug! When I went to St. Louis, I was halfway to the airport before I realized my Garmin was still in the charging cradle on my desk. Almost turned around to go get it! Would've probably missed my plane though. Oh well, didn't matter. I had a crappy run anyway. (hmmm, maybe I can blame the absent Garmin!!) Holly, yeah, yeah, yeah... boy if I had a nickle for everyone who's told me to take it easy I'd be a rich girl by now. I'm going to go see what I can do... my biggest concern is I've lost all my endurance and my running legs. I know that might be silly with all the pool running and biking I've been doing, but it's just not the same as running. I've run 8.6 miles in the last 2 1/2 weeks. Brings new meaning to "long taper," I guess. Ok, off to the podiatrist... I'll check in later.

Marathon Maniac #3309

You guys are getting a bit out of control lately!
                          That tends to happen when Marathons are coming up...helps break up the taper / injury madness Smile "biketm you can borrow my friends to help with your burial right after they are done with mine" Thanks Twocat...looks like Erika is taking your/our approach too. Now it's up to Steve to chime in Roll eyes Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Twocat's Post-Race Last Will and Testament Who Gets What List (or be careful what you wish for): Anybody else looking for stuff I will no longer need after Sunday just let me know. Big grin
                            speed.
                            Mariposai

speed.
                              knowledge is better than speed my dearest one Tongue

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Twocat: scarily enough, I've actually heard of the Kalman filter Dark Horse: you? stubborn? Mary: glad you had a nice run. sorry you're stuck in wait mode - that's hard. I ran 7.1 miles this morning, with one mile chopped up into 0.2 mile fast/slow intervals. We have an oval 0.2 mile path in our neighborhood (half uphill, half downhill) and sometimes I just go onto that and spin for a few miles. The pace for the one mile of fast/slow was 8:33, which is speedy for me. If I was motivated, I'd keep doing these and add more cycles as I get stronger.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason