Masters Running

Wednesday Sept. 9 runs and milestones (Read 484 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I wonder if it means he will finally be caught using illegal performance-boosting drugs, and publicly disgraced? When he retired, I breathed a sigh of relief on his behalf, because he made it all the way through his streak without getting caught. Not that I condone that sort of thing. Now he will be risking his legend. Dark Horse
    He says he's going to be tested daily and post results on his website. They now keep the samples in case future tests methods are developed..... Maybe we'll never know...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Mary—Congrats on 1000. (CNY—belated congrats on your 2000 the other day. Wow.) Tim—I just assumed Lance was riding again because marathons were too tough. Holly—nice to see you have such a good run. Perch--- Sad 5.2 @ MP-ish 8:16.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

He says he's going to be tested daily and post results on his website. They now keep the samples in case future tests methods are developed..... Maybe we'll never know...
        I personally believe Lance was - and will always be "clean". During some of the Tours and other races, he used his own personal money to pay for drug tests for everyone....This dude just simply out works any other cyclist in the world, and is the most tested cyclist ever And Steve is correct about him being tested daily, and sharing the tests...he never has had anything to hide. Of course this is only my opinion, but wholeheartedly believe Lance is and was clean. I know a Ball State Professor who wrote a book on this very subject. After reading this book, it left absolutely no doubt that Lance was / is just one of those once of a lifetime athletes who over achieves, but makes people wonder how he does it when doping is rampant in cycling and other sports. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I "watched" the Sox game on Yahoo live feed. All excited they came from behind in the 8th, and then in the 9th the Rays did the same thing to them. A tough game. They need the rubber game today.
          I too watched with excitement as the Sox took the lead in the bottom of the 8th and brought on the usually rock solid Jonathan Papelbon (although he has had 5 blown saves this year) still when he comes in with the lead the Sox usually win. Very disappointing turn of events in the 9th inning. Yes indeed let's hope they win the rubber gamne.
            Brrrrrrrr...who turned off the heat??? 43 degrees seemed a little chilly this morning... 4 miles with T at an 8:39 pace... Job interview today...bought a nice suit to wear...
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Job interview today...bought a nice suit to wear...
              Pictures, please? I love to see a handsome guy all spiffed up.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hey, did you guys read that TALL WON HIS HALF MARATHON!! After drinking beer and whisky all week long at his cottage?? What an athlete!! Holly, it was great just reading about your run. Do you think the cooler temperatures helped as well?? Mary, great strong runs you are having...how much longer till the big one? I was supposed to do 9 miles this morning but when my alarm went off at 5:15am I just couldn't get up. Now with the daylight getting shorter, it is dark in the mornings. Maybe I should start bringing a flashlight?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good Morning all, Great racing Tallrunner (check out yesterday's thread folks) and you need to post a report. Sweet life indeed Steve. Erika, something must have been in the air yesterday. The Kiddo came home from hockey practice last night and was throwing one of his pucks around in the house. Lucky, lucky that the puck landed on the window sill. Great runs for Mary and Holly. Nice going! Today is a keeper here too---like Sue described. It was 52F and clear when I headed out at 7:30 AM. Today's run was a dial-in the pace at 8:30 pace run. I was stiff at first from last night's workout, but found my groove and went 10.5 miles in 1:29 or 8:30 pace. I ran into Dr. B on the bike path, a retired pediatrician and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He's 59 and just started running marathons at 56. He's running in the Baystate marathon as well, so we ran together for a bit and compared notes on the race. He was the doctor for Canada J's and Spicy J's children, so we all know him really well. I welcomed the company. He turned off just as I was approaching the last hills of my loop. As I crested "hospital" hill Handel's Messiah was up on my iPOD. Nothing like having a choir boom "Hallelujah!" at the top of a steep hill. ((((((perch))))))) Thanks Tramps! Welcome back Annied! I remember you and glad you posted. I live close enough to Boston to come in on my club's bus on race day, but your offer is wonderful. Are you running a Fall marathon? or have you already? Details! Time to get some work done. Happy day all. Karin MTA: Hi Enke...we posted at the same time.......!
                  DickyG

Next month's shuttle flight to the Hubble Space Telescope faces an increased risk of a destructive hit by space trash, NASA said Monday. New number crunching puts the odds of a catastrophic strike by orbital debris at about 1-in-185. Although some people have blamed me for all the trash out in space, this time it's not my fault. I blame it all on my children. I have told them time and time again to put their trash in the trashcan. Tramps: Way to gut out 10 miles in the soup yesterday...whoever promised less humid air for today ought to be shot. Denise: Wow...you're really pouring on the miles...nice going. Tall: Great race...congrats! Mary: Excellent reaching 1000 miles so soon...I haven't hit the big K in 2 years now. Holly:
                    Today I thought, this is what running is all about for me, these rare moments when it comes together and I feel so alive, so healthy, so strong.
                    Well, it certainly doesn't get any better than that... Craneium: Another big W! Back in the game! Peter:
                    10.17 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace...still warn & humid in this part of the country.
                    Yep...great run, Peter. Tramps said a cold front was supposed to be here...he lied. Over 90% humidity here for about the 99th day in a row...slogged through 4.2 miles in 38:53 (9:16)...had to walk a few times to catch my breath on the hills...so what else is new... DickyG

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary, great strong runs you are having...how much longer till the big one?
                      Not that I'm counting or anything....but 39 more days!! Don't you have a headlamp? Much better than carrying a flashlight. Good luck with your interview Lyndenrunner!! You make me laugh Dicky! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Great racing Tallrunner (check out yesterday's thread folks) and you need to post a report.
                        Congrats indeed, what a great race Tall or should I say "Francois" a 1:25.33 on a hilly course isn't too shabby at all. It looks like your really hitting your stride for that Army race in a couple of weeks. And CNY is right a race report is certainly in order for a run of this caliber! Wink
                        Mariposai

Tall Posted this last night:
                          Back from 4 days at the cottage. Had a great time with my dad, helped with closing up, caught some big fish and won the Sudbury Masters Half Marathon. Tough tough hilly course, crossing beaver dams and up 20 or so big hills. Followed the leader for 18K or so, was bogged down when we met up wth a dog a thon on narrow trails and with 3.5K to go was 200 meters back but then he started coming back to me and I passed him on the hills with 2.1K to go and won by over 3 minutes. My dad saw me bring it home. What a day, trophy, medals, amazing gifts and my name on the Sudbury Masters Cup (32nd anniversary). All in all a great day of running.
                          Congratulations Tall, wow now I can say that I know someone who has WON a Master's Half Marathon. It must feel very goooddddd. Taking it easy this morning, will travel to Seattle in the afternoon, I decided to drive to Wenatchee earlier than needed to run 11 miles on the bike trail, which is also the marathon course for the marathon there. Wildchild thanks for asking about my FIL. His situation is and will be the same for days, months to come until the end. At least the family is doing better with the news now. Thanks for your concerns and prayers. Ribs, your hints on webminar came very handy for me yesterday as I was preparing for lesson one. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me. How is erika doing today? Holly glad to hear that the magic returned.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I was supposed to do 9 miles this morning but when my alarm went off at 5:15am I just couldn't get up. Now with the daylight getting shorter, it is dark in the mornings. Maybe I should start bringing a flashlight?
                            As in, bringing a flashlight to bed? Big grin Seriously, if you come up with a technique, I need it. I go to bed early, plan on getting up early to run, but so many times just don't--it is so hard to do in the dark. Then I read about Mary running under the starts, or PDR-- once I'm up and out, it's great, but I am just so lazeee! Holly, so happy for you--hope it heads southeast to Perch asap. I'm with Tramps--Lance found marathoning too hard Wink Great bike report, Tim--sounds grueling. Nice to visit with so many of you this am. Will check ack this afternoon, with any luck, after my run. <must>> grins, A </must>
                            Masters 2000 miles
                              Brrrrrrrr...who turned off the heat??? 43 degrees seemed a little chilly this morning... 4 miles with T at an 8:39 pace... Job interview today...bought a nice suit to wear...
                              Details, please!
                              Masters 2000 miles

Top 'O the World!

I personally believe Lance was - and will always be "clean". During some of the Tours and other races, he used his own personal money to pay for drug tests for everyone....This dude just simply out works any other cyclist in the world, and is the most tested cyclist ever And Steve is correct about him being tested daily, and sharing the tests...he never has had anything to hide. Of course this is only my opinion, but wholeheartedly believe Lance is and was clean. I know a Ball State Professor who wrote a book on this very subject. After reading this book, it left absolutely no doubt that Lance was / is just one of those once of a lifetime athletes who over achieves, but makes people wonder how he does it when doping is rampant in cycling and other sports. Tim
                                I agree w/you...& am aware that Lance also has brought his team to "elevation" to train before the Tour..could explain some of the "advantage" ..& has done this several times: http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-6-12-17731-1,00.html ps: Today show this am says Lance has announced - is definitely planning on another Tour
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group