Masters Running

Valentine's Day Runs and Workouts (Read 670 times)

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I have to retire shoes at around 300 miles, mostly because my wacky gait scrubs the outsoles from the forward outer edge of my foot. Much of the heel is still so pristine that it could be factory-new, but when I start striking on the midsole, it's time to let 'em go. DH is sensitive to the piles of "still-look-ok" shoes in the house, so I've started taking the older ones back to the running store with me. They ship them off to the third world, so hopefully there are plenty of heel-strikers getting plenty of use out of my old footwear. I keep a rotation of: trail shoes, which last a long time, because I'm not on single-track much these days, The New Shoes, and The Middle-Aged Shoes. I also have a pair of Trance 7s that are virtually new, but which never worked for me the way the old Trance 6 did. They cost a lot, and it kills me that they don't feel good. From time to time, I try a different insole and tell myself that this will be the solution. And it isn't. I hate that. No Track tonight, ("relaxed 800s", says Coach) followed by much manic carpooling and driving about. I have it on good authority that DS has stashed a rose in the garage but is waiting until I get home to present it. Good boy.
    SteveP

It would be kewl if Mr Hopeful got bit by the exercise bug. Thanks for the coffee. This AM, I made DW and DS "Toad in the Hole". I used a cookie cutter to cut a heart shped hole in the bread. I was gonna dye the dog red. I may do that later. The dog and I ran to where DD#3 works and dropped off a goody bag. As the bag had soda, we didn't time the 3 miles. It's getting pretty snowy out there. We're watching our GS tonight so DD#1 and SIL#only can have a few quite hours together. The people of this forum rock.

SteveP

What a workout to start off the daily thread----Go WRFB! Happy Valentines Day folks! Today's run with Holly was wonderful and a great way to start off my last day on the road until next week (Atlanta next week). 10 smooth miles at 5 AM and about 15F when we weren't running into wind (slight anyway) Holly's daughter was so excited to show me her Valentine treats when I came in to warm up my hands. She and Holly's son are fabulous. I didn't have trouble turning the key in the ignition this time. Thanks Holly. The run felt good and with any luck, I'll have clearer roads at home for the next days of running. In the next weeks I'll be moving up into the high 60 miles per week range and then on into the 70s for March.....all systems go for now. At the airport now and then through Philly and on into Hartford and home. More soon, CNYrunner
          DD went off happy as can be this a.m. with her valentines, wearing her new heart choker and ring her dad and I gave her, looking forward to the day. DS, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with this day. I give him another few years... I did get a great card with a picture of a baby wearing a tattoo that said "Mom" and the message, "You always remember your first love" though. Must...motivate... myself to get out the door for a quick run. I'm still in my pjs. Working, of course. Gorgeous day here. Have a legal seminar in the late late afternoon, then an early dinner with a friend. Kids are off to Maine on winter break with their dad on a red-eye flight (sniff). I'm half looking forward to the time alone, half dreading it. Enjoy the day, folks.
            Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. I had a hard workout planned but got through it just fine. Warmup, stretch then 12 miles at MP pace (target 7:45-7:50), with fast finish. Cold and windy -- hands are just starting to warm up now. Workout: 12.1 miles, 7:39/mi, last 2 at 7:27, 7:16, AHR 162 Overall: 13.0 miles, 1:40 Have a great day!
            Lou-You ROCK! Good job and excellent execution of the workout. I have another unscheduled off day, thanks to my still swollen knee. Hot tub tonight-my house!
            evanflein

Shoes... hmmm... I've been a slave to the Asics Nimbus series for years. I still say the 6 was my favorite. Seems like every "improvement" to generate a new version number leaves me a little unimpressed. But I've got my third pair of "9's" now, just came in the mail a couple days ago. I seem to easily get 500+ miles on a pair, but if I do a lot of trail runs they wear out sooner. The shoes I trained for and ran the Equinox this year have holes all over them (in the mesh on the sides,not soles) and they look pretty beat up. I still wear them for snow running though, with the Spikey's. I also liked the Cumulus 6, and have a pair with thousands (well, not really) of miles on them. They still look nice and I wear them around as runnabouts. I haven't liked any of the successor versions of that shoe, though. Trying the Asics Speedstar too. It's a little lighter than the Nimbus, not as cushioned, but for racing and speed work only. Anyone else try these? First try in the bedroom walking around on the carpet makes me think they're a little short. Teresa, nice job! Always amazing how when you feel like bagging a run, it turns out to be so rewarding when you really get out there. We have a track like that at our gym, makes me dizzy. I might switch out tomorrow's rest day for today's 5 miler, seeing as how DH and DS2 will be going to Anchorage for the weekend for soccer. Just me and the 15yo so plenty of time to run then. Hey, we must have a pretty good inversion going... I can see Denali from my office window! The Alaska Range is beautiful today!!
              TammyinGP

I call a girls retreat weekend at Soundie's house!! Surprised Shoes - I, too, have a few pairs that I've retired but still look perfectly fine. I keep one spare pair at home for just regular wear but I have a few prs I keep in my office at work, so that my DH doesn't roll his eyes at all the "looks just fine to me" pairs that I have. no run for me today, but looks like several of you are getting in some great runs! I did 5 miles on the TM last night and will do a long run of 10 this weekend. It's my cut back week as I have a HM next Saturday. Then as soon as I get done with that, we are taking our son on a surprise weekend to Portland to see the Globetrotters. He has no idea about this and we aren't even going to tell him what we are doing in Portland until we show up at the Rose Garden. He's gonna flip!

Tammy

seemomgo

I have to retire shoes at around 300 miles, mostly I also have a pair of Trance 7s that are virtually new, but which never worked for me the way the old Trance 6 did. They cost a lot, and it kills me that they don't feel good. From time to time, I try a different insole and tell myself that this will be the solution. And it isn't. I hate that. No
                  I too mourned the change over of the Trance....BUT!!!!...I got lucky and bought three pair on Amazon (through one of their retailers) for only $70 a pair!! I am so happy!! I know how they fit, I know how they wear - so it was a no brainer! By the way..a 4 mile run + 4 mile walk through the snowy fields this morning. It was just to beatiful to go inside today!
                    roch, sorry to hear your fever turned into flu. That's a bummer. dtoce, sorry to hear your knee isn't better yet. Nice long runs for Evan (progression on TM),WRFB, biketm, Holly and CNY, PDR, and Twocat. This morning it was in the mid to high teens with a little wind and packed snow on the roads. I did 4 miles in about 38 minutes for a 9:30 pace. It felt as hard as yesterday's run but at least it was a little faster and the last mile, which really felt bad, was the fastest. Due to the way I felt during yesterday and today's run, I'm feeling nervous about my 5K on Saturday. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                      I keep the most recently retired shoes for my "knock around" use. All older shoes than that get donated to the local food bank in town. They absolutely go crazy when they see new shoes coming in. Many people can get many more miles out of them once we think they're done for. Donate 'em people! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Ultrachick

Happy Valentines Day! I was greeted with 6 red roses when I got up this morning from my SO-significant other. So what does DH mean? There must be a dictionary thread somewhere here..... Smile I've got 10 to do today also-I've got 3 done on the track this morning-I'll get the rest this afternoon and enjoy temps in the 30's and sunshine. I switch my shoes at 500 miles too but I start to feel aches and pains at 400. Have a great day everyone! Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                        Oldnuf2nobetter

Since Evan's sickly Dead Saab ain't coming home anytime soon, she can see her present here:
                            Thanks Holly........obviously getting up at 2:30 in the morning doesn't help me to understand what day it is. Sheesh..... In the running log Is there a way to get a summary of mileage for previous years without going to your calendar and adding up the totals? I want to do some totals for previous years and want to be lazy about it.
                            Vista
                            btb1490

Thanks Holly........obviously getting up at 2:30 in the morning doesn't help me to understand what day it is. Sheesh..... In the running log Is there a way to get a summary of mileage for previous years without going to your calendar and adding up the totals? I want to do some totals for previous years and want to be lazy about it.
                              You can go to your training log and use the Search option along the left side. Just plug in the date range, and it will list all your workouts for that range. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and a summary of your miles is displayed. Does that give you what you need? Thanks for the post you wrote about Valentine's Day. And thank you Holly for moving it over here to our attention.
                                I call a girls retreat weekend at Soundie's house!! Surprised quote> Well, I didn't say I'd be home moping about. Wink Yes, your DS is going to love the Globetrotters. I still remember the year --mid 70s -- my brother received tickets for Christmas to see them and how excited he was. My DS has never...hmmmm. Evan, something about seeing "Anchorage" and "soccer" in the same sentence in mid-February seems strange indeed. ((Dale's knee))) Got the miles in. About 7 on the nearby hills. Sluggish today, but that sunshine on my face sure felt great.