Masters Running

Wednesday's Daliy, 7.9.14 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice hill work by Dave, Tramps, Mariposai yesterday.

Nice mangoless13er, with a GB heron sighting for Aamos.

Holly, I also would have been a bit unnerved by an aggressive dog charging me - nice towel work! I hope the owner will keep that dog better contained from here on out. Funny "non-runners" guide that you posted...

Good luck with DS's surgery today, Ribs!

Don't fade away, Tammy! Post anything you want, even just a 'hello.'

I'm glad you're psyched about the zombie thingee, Twocat, whatever that is.

That's a heck of a cross-training routine you had yesterday, Marj: "walking, hacking, sneezing, packing"

I have a feeling that you've done more than your fair share of hills, Tet.

I got a decent night's sleep last night, so I was out the door at JJ:05 this morning for a scooch over 6 RW miles in breeze 75F temps. I saw the beginnings (although not the Grand Finale) of what was going to be a gorgeous sunrise this morning. Because I had taken the last two days off, it took me a while to find some fluidity. By the last mile+, I was cruising, although not fast enough to stay ahead of the black flies, one of which took a little taste of the back of my neck.

Have a greta Wednesday! (What day is it?)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I could have used a cape today when a dog charged at me.  I saw it so late that he could have eaten one of my legs before I reacted so I guess it wouldn't have been much help.

I rarely run with headphones anymore because I have been enjoying the peace and quiet of being out running, but I was dragging this morning and thought I'd listen to a little music to see if it would help the run.  I was in a pretty deep day dream state when I saw and heard the dog right by me and then a second later someone yelling, I assume at the dog but you never know.

In the end, 4.4 bite free miles.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning.  My only dog problem this morning was that I forgot to stick a couple of biscuits in my pocket and got a very disappointed look from Sophie the Golden when she had to settle for getting scratched instead.

5 drippy shorts miles to add to the 4 of yesterday.  Haven't been so tempted to start walking in quite a while, but managed to keep plodding the whole way.  Yesterday was 9:50 pace and today was around 10:10.  Sure felt like a lot more than 20 seconds differential.  But it's done and I will hopefully have gained a tiny bit of mental fitness, if not physical.

Off to the Sox game tonight.  I'll be waving to you, Amy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

At the beginning of the summer we bought tix to see a Rangers game, which is tomorrow night.  Of course my oldest son can't make it, and the Rangers are fighting for last place. What a drag it's going to be.

Thanks for the well wishes to him btw, and Twocat, that is our thinking exactly. We persuaded him to stay with us one night, but we're hoping he will stay longer.

Yes, that song was "Mangoes" by Rosemary Clooney.  Who remembers another of her hits "An Occasional Man"?  "I love my island, in the Pacific, and everything about it is terrific. I've got the sun to tan me, palms to fan me, and....an occasional man."

Tammy, I left FB for July and August and will return in September. I also quit the running blog for the Dallas Morning News for the same period.  I did it because I waste too much time on FB and wanted to make sure it's not an obsession.  The downside is that many of my friends have only my FB link to connect to me, so it's weird to get emails from people who want to ask me something, or share some information when I hardly know them.  My email address is posted right on the running blog.

Holly, that was a funny piece by Remy, and he nailed it on many runner behaviors.

5 miles at easy pace this morning. Now off to pick up my son and my granddaughter to take him for his surgery and keep her company.  They will both stay over at the Rib Cage tonight.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Spareribs, we will all look forward to your blogs again in September. A pause is always good. Good luck with your son's surgery.

Marj, I hope you are feeling better today.

Stumpy, enjoy the Sox game.

Good to see you got 4.4 bite free miles, Dave.

JJ:05, thanks for the great news RE: relay. .

Twocat, while not all my runs qualify as smile miles, I am glad to say that today I did enjoy 6 smile miles under one glorious summer weather. Oh, and I showed that monster Robynson Canyon who is the boss.

Enjoy the summer wave my dear friends. It will be 102 today here. Just perfect!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Fletch

Greetings!

Jay - Nice 6 mile sunrise R/W this morning!

Dave59 - Close call with the dog.  I enjoy listening to music when I run, but after a similar experience, I drop one ear bud.  Doesn't sound as good, but at least I can hear dogs...and traffic!

Stumpy - Another round of the stickiness here this week as well.  Nice job getting in the run.  Enjoy the game.

Ribs - Good luck with DS's surgery today.  Nice morning run.

Mariposai - Yay on the 6 smile miles.

Hooked up with a local running group for a speed workout this morning (some of the same ones I ran the Bacon Run with this past Sunday). 23 runners turned out at 4:45 this morning.  Started with a one mile warmup...then the painful part!  3 pickups, 20 seconds each, then 3 of 40 seconds, 3 of 60, 3 of 80, 3 of 60, 3 of 40, 3 of 20.  20 second recovery between each.  Cool down at an easy pace back to the parking lot.  Total was 5.25 miles.  Exhausting, but exhilarating!

Happy Running.

Henrun

At the beginning of the summer we bought tix to see a Rangers game, which is tomorrow night.  Of course my oldest son can't make it, and the Rangers are fighting for last place. What a drag it's going to be.

Yes, that song was "Mangoes" by Rosemary Clooney.  Who remembers another of her hits "An Occasional Man"?  "I love my island, in the Pacific, and everything about it is terrific. I've got the sun to tan me, palms to fan me, and....an occasional man."

Holly, that was a funny piece by Remy, and he nailed it on many runner behaviors.

5 miles at easy pace this morning. Now off to pick up my son and my granddaughter to take him for his surgery and keep her company.  They will both stay over at the Rib Cage tonight.  Spareribs

Ribs, Our Sox are firmly entrenched in last place. I've got a ticket for a game in August,unfortunately. I'm debating taking my Red Sox hat with me on our trip to California tonight.

I'm not that familiar with the song but I did see Rosemary Clooney at the Hollywood Bowl in the 90's. She referred to her nephew, George, who was doing well in the movies.

Loved that piece by Remy.

Good luck to your DS.

Did 2 steamy miles at Jay o'clock this am. Off to LA for a wedding in a couple of hours. Will spend 2 days in San Diego ;beforehand-hope to run both places.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

During a bumpy time in my life, I changed my FB password to 32 random characters, wrote them down, and then checked that piece of paper (alongside the Service Level Requirements for Section 3.5.a of Appendix QQ) into The Ministry's official document repository, guarded by a dragon who only worked from 10:00-2:00 Tuesday and Thursday.

(What good is an archive of Government documentation you can get at only eight hours/week?  I don't know, but it served my purposes of making that particular document almost impossible to get at.  .....oh.... <light dawns> Smile )

Like Ribs, I fret a little over whether I spend too much time on FB (of course I do), but at this point, I know my mom counts on that stream of snippets from me just as I do on my kids' feeds, just for little touches of "there she is and she is OK."  Anyway, for now, that bit of mindful discipline isn't what I need, but it's a good thing to think about.

Ob.Running:  45' last night on the waterfront, with 6x 3' hard, 1' easy.  That year I took away from running is still costing me:  I am back to racing weight and have a huge, mountain-capable aerobic engine, but the speed is taking its own sweet time to come back and now I wonder whether it ever will unless I choose to focus strictly on running.

My solution for this is to go ride up a (small) mountain a couple of times tonight.  Smile

TammyinGP

good morning. sitting on hold for who knows how long, so figured i'd multi-task!

I'm glad you'll be back to FB, Ribs.  I probably spend too much time on Facebook, but now that I'm so actively involved in our non-profit partnership with our animal shelter, and we have the most visibility in the facebook world, I need to be there. Last night I was voted in as a board member and am in charge of volunteer coordinating and media relations. 

still so dang hot here. It cools off around 4 a.m. and by 8:00 a.m. we have to close up the house already. this seems hotter and earlier than in years past. Normally, we'll get a week or so of 100's in August, but we've had this 100 degree heat for a couple wks now. Yesterday actually felt bearable at 92! lol. 

but we are heading to the coast for camping next week and i'm so ready for a high in the low 70's and nights in the low 50's. and running in cool temps! actually, just running at all will be nice.

Tammy

Tammy, kudos for being a board member now and your volunteer work.

fb, what is with the ads now?  I though that would drive people off of it, but I guess it is just too easy to skim past them, like everything internet related these days....skimming, with very little deep reflection.

5 sweaty miles, the sun made it feel hotter than 62F, so I had a cold shower afterwards, which made me pine for swimming in a lake, which made me decide to take the day off and take the kids to a beach somewhere.  My boss is having a root canal done, and said she wouldn't likely be in.  Woohoo!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...mornin' guys//...........30-min poolrun yesterday, but too busy to get to post it

==========

tried a wee bit something different this morning,

took a 30-min hike with my RacingCrutches,

not like

I'm worried about hurting my hip,

it went pretty well,

kinda cramped up but was expecting that, so I got to try out my TENS unit when I got home

if this actually works,

I hope to walk and then poolrun on my days off

been missing TheSun and Fresh Air

..........THE GOOD NEWS>>>>>>>not a Goose in sight

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Fly-by post, sorry, I did read but no time to comment just now.

3.5 miles for me this morning, plus 30 minutes weights and core.

I sure miss my DD!  It's so quiet around here.  And tidy.  And I haven't yelled at anyone at all this week.   

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Just stopping in to say hi and to tell you that I ran 10.7 miles tonight.

Okay--that's it.  Bedtime.  See ya!

I pushed myself out of bed early enough this morning to sit at Ocean Park and watch the sunrise - so beautiful.....I sat and marveled in it for awhile, did some spiritual reading then ran 2.3 glorious, barefoot  miles on the beach.   Cleaned up for 8:00 mass then went back to the beach for a fairly decent swim.   Hit the local library book sale then spent the day with a friend and her 3 little ones at the beach, pool and back to our campsite for a fire and s'mores.  Had a great day, but now enjoying the quiet and reflecting on the beauty of the day.

Sweet dreams my friends!

Jay - glad you joined the RR Fan Club!

Ribs - hope your son recovers quickly (and stays with you longer)

denise

That sounds like an awesome day, deez. I have trouble getting up early on vacation days. I am ready to fall asleep here on the couch. Hopefully that means I will sleep all night long.

I hope Spare Tire agrees to stay at your house for some additional recovery days, Ribs.

No running for me but did about 10 miles on the bike. Some people on the path are pretty clueless and I am never sure if they understand "on your left". I only know it in one language And we have an incredible amount of non-English speaking people in our community.  "Heads up" seemed to work when they were coming straight at me 3 abreast.  After a young woman was killed on her bicycle last week In a SW MN town, I am none too cautious. She was pulling a burley with a 1 & 4 year old who did survive. The driver of the car was arrested. He had been doing some online banking on his phone and came up over a hill And didn't see her.

Good night everyone and good running and safe travels.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich