Masters Running

Tuesday May 13 Daily (Read 555 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mary, thanks for the puppy photos! How cute. This morning, I was scheduled to do my longest run yet, 10.5 miles. I had my doubts, because yesterday I spent a lot of time sanding trim and putting polyurethane on it. I was sore! It was also very windy this morning (53 degrees). My running partner and I headed out from her house, and had a great run. At times, we were running directly into the wind and it was VERY challenging. In the past, we would have stopped, but we toughed it out. She made it 8.5 miles and I managed the entire 10.5 (in 1:58:32, for an average 11:18 pace)! This is the route we took (her house is at the upper left). For perspective, it's almost 4 miles around Back Cove in the photo. The route right along the ocean front is a really nice paved path that's quiet and smooth. The end of our route, in downtown Portland, is 5 miles from Martha's house. So now I'm tired and sore, but happy! Onward and upward. Teresa

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great job Teresa!! I love the arial view! Erika - the puppies are born looking like little cows, but as they grow the white turns to the grey and the brown takes on a reddish - natural highlight - kind of look! Smile It is goofy I know! Ribs - I cannot wait for Friday. So excited for your son.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Great job on your longest run Teresa....that is awesome and a long way to run Smile Love the aerial view also, puts a long run in perspective. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Raining a plenty. Did the TM, 4 miles. 1 mile w/u at 5.6mph, 2 miles at 7.0mph, 1 mile c/d at 5.6mph. Knee was fine but I think if I had gone longer I'd be feeling it now. Usually that 2 miles at 7.0mph feels a bit easier, but it was Ok. HR was 165 when I stopped, but it came down quickly. I have a question for those of you that use a HR monitor. If you do a 20 min tempo, lets say, does your HR go up when you stop to walk/jog before it settles down (because it is working harder to pump the blood after your legs stop helping return the blood)? I am just wondering what my HR really is at the end of these tempos, but I can't ever imagine wearing a strap around my chest. If they invent something unobtrusive someday.... I hope to do a longer slow run tomorrow. teresa - cool photo Holly, I said 8 week training plan, because that would be the shortest time possible to train for a marathon and do 3 20 milers. I don't want to commit to something 4 months ahead of time again, but I could see myself signing up 8 weeks out if my base was good.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice long run Teresa. Now about this 3.1 mile run this past Sunday? <arms> (as Holly would say) Wink</arms>

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Manchild

Nice runs by many posters. Mary, as others have mentioned, the pups are cute! Teresa, nice run!! My cousin lives in Gorham. I'd like to run the marathon in ME... For me it was 5.57 miles at a 9:04 pace, just under an hour. It was blowin' out there but warm, 60 F. Celts are makin' me cwazy!!! Chris
              Henrun

Teresa, love that view of Portland's Back Bay. I used to run it a lot when I lived in K'port and was a member of the Maine Track Club. Now run it whenever I get back to Portland. Brings back wonderful runnining memories. Smile
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

OK, Kevin, you kicked me into gear so I wrote the race report! Cool, Charley and henrun! Back Cove IS a nice place to run, especially when it's high tide. It used to intimidate me, though, because you can SEE so far. It seemed like such a long way to run!

GreenMan

.... Speaking of foggy. I'm on business too. Staying in Ripley (believe it or not) West Virginia. Needless to say I got some hill work today. Found a nice country road in the dim morning in the fog for 7 miles GA in 1:01:33 (8:43 pace, AHR 160). My GA pace is usually a minute faster but the elevation profile slowed it down a bit: That run I think will make me rule out Grandfather Mountain Marathon. Them there hills were HARD! Have great runs! Steve
                    Perch, nice run. I think you would do very well at GFM. Its not a PR course, so just think of it as a LD training run . It's bound to be good training for something. Or adventure run. And believe it or not I've been to Riley too. Big grin 50 mins of elliptactical hills jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                      Some nice running out there today. Thanks everyone for checking in and giving the report. I did a 5.37 mile run this early evening. This is a great jump on my week and I am pleased at how this year of running is shaping up. I am a warm weather runner and can anticipate some nice warm runs ahead. In fact, I am going ahead and boosting my goal for the year from 1,000 miles to 2,000 KM. I have established a good base and am 42 miles ahead of the 1,000 mile pace and 45 miles behind the 2,000 KM pace. This makes for an ideal time to jump to the next goal with over a half year ahead. Thanks for the shout Wildchild.....I was busy with several projects today that left me needing to stay away from here for the morning. Mary.....those are cute pups. The pup with the hearts on it would make a good candidate for the name Valentine and a great gift for a guy to give to his girlfriend/wife. The talk about travel areas being the same reminds me of my busy traveling days when I would get up....catch a flight......jump in a cab.......head to a stadium/arena/.....then back in a cab .......and catch a flight to the next city. Then people would ask......"How was Chicago (or Detroit or New York or Boston.etc)?" Ummmm....just like 100 other American cities. Have a great evening everyone.
                      Vista
                      wildchild

Carolyn

I did an interval workout very similar to Bruce's - 6 x 800s. I was aiming for 400 m recoveries like Bruce, but after the 2nd interval I decided I needed to bump the recoveries to 800. So my intervals were 4:10, 4:20, 3:57, 3:59, 3:55, 3:55. I also ran the last 4 barefoot, which helped speed up the pace. Smile Total 7 miles in 70 minutes. Felt great, but this snow is still bumming me out. It looks like January outside, instead of May. Teresa, congrats on the 10.5 miles! Vista, maybe I should think about 2000 km also. That's only 103 miles per month, which sounds easy, even with a couple short months that I usually have during vacations.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Speaking of foggy. I'm on business too. Staying in Ripley (believe it or not) West Virginia. Needless to say I got some hill work today.
                          I lived 18 years in Charleston, just 35 miles south of Ripley. I use to run a lot of hills back in those days. (I even bought one of those custom vans in Ripley - Tom Peden was the dealership I believe. It was when the kids were little and it was fun taking trips in. Glad I don't have that gas guzzler now.)

Mariposai

Today is DS2's 16th birthday. In celebration for this special occassion I went out running 9 miles in 90 minutes for the 9 months I carried him in my womb. When I returned I received the good news that he was given the scholarship he had applied for to go to Japan for six weeks during this summer. How cool is that.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Mari, that scholarship sounds great! What's it called, and how can my DD apply? We loved our spring break trip to Japan, and I'm sure she would love to go back for 6 weeks next summer! She'll be 16 by then.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mari-san that is sugoi omedetou to DS2, . . . and to you and DH too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)