Masters Running

Sat. Aug 16 DAILY runs, etc. (Read 340 times)

Renee the dog

OK, I'm getting to start this off 'cause I ended up with almost a scratch for today. Left knee so tight and feeling nauseous cut short my planned 7 mi. run to 2 mi. BUT, Renee and I did splash around and chase sandpipers for some cross-training and loosening up of these stiff joints. Smile And we got to watch 2 pods of dolphins playing around just off-shore from us. Felt like what we just needed to do. Have tomorrow to get the rest of my miles in for the week. Really good news on the car accident: total cost to fix up my car: $21.00. Yeah, the rim is a bit scraped up, but it is not bent, totally functional, and really, give me a few times parallel parking with the kids screaming in the car, and the rim will look like that anyway. Shocked So, that's all we're asking from the other folks and they don't have to file a claim unless they want to for some reason. Heading out shortly for the drive to see my parents -- have great runs and races everyone!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Good morning, I must have been in a fog this morning as I was getting ready to go out for my run....about 1 mile into the run, I realized that I had accidently put on a pair of really old, retired running shoes. I didn't feel like going back to change so I took it a little easier today. 8.02 miles of hills @ 9:21 pace...no damage done Smile Enjoy the weekend.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Wow! Am I really 2nd? 6.3 for me this morning. Really, really slow, but who cares? Big grin Now off to lift weights and swim a mile. Nono that's great news about the accident, which I didn't even know you had cuz I'm not up on the latest news w/ everyone. HAPPY SATURDAY EVERYONE!!!! btw, and I hate to ask this, since I have NO part in it other than being at the end of the list, but did anyone ever do July mileage? I never saw it posted. Confused
          Helen - we were out of town when the July totals would have been tallied, so I don't know. $21 for car repairs? Inconceivable! Easy 5 for me this morning. What a beautiful day. Like I said yesterday, I don't know if the weather will hold but I'm enjoying it while it's lasting. I started at 64°F and finished at 68°, and the humidity was down to 82% -- like I said it felt wonderful. 5.1 miles, 43:34, 8:34/mi, AHR 145 We had fun on our vacation, but it's good to be back home for a "normal" weekend. I hope you have a great weekend, too!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Rest day for me with a little core work later on. $21 to repair a car after an accident? I think I’ve paid tolls that were more than that. Glad to see folks embracing the sport/no sport distinction. From yesterday’s thread: badminton, tag-team rasslin', boardsailing, kite surfing, and windsurfing are all sports--assuming they meet other criteria (e.g. no “freestyle artistic windsurfing” carp). Table tennis definitely is a sport and has a soft spot in my heart since it is associated with my greatest moment of sports glory (which, believe me, isn’t saying much). My high school had grades 10-12 and each year there were “Olympic” competitions between grades using a variety of sports. In my sophomore year, late in the Olympics, I won the table tennis singles championship in a gym full of a couple hundred screaming students to help my class get an upset overall victory. Heady stuff for a kid used to the relative obscurity of the 2nd line in hockey. Smile I’m not really a swim fan (maybe because I could barely pass my college’s required swim test of one length of the pool and decided I best stay on dry land Blush) but that Phelps finish last night was astonishing--even better than my table tennis victory.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning all. 2 miles warm up, 5K race, and 2 miles cool down. The 5K was warm (naturally enough) but I ran pretty well - better than I have this year. 7:40, 7:37, 7:26 and a sprint to finish it off. 23:30 or so for a 7:35 average. HR avg 166, high of 172. I think I may have had a little more since I felt pretty good after finishing. I ended up 3rd in my old man age group. 1st was 19:15, 2nd was 20:21. Eek. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps Smile I had a one great season in HS on the badminton team. My best friend and I were put on the "E" team, meaning there were 4 pairs of better players ahead of us. We worked well together, improved a lot and ended up winning the division (for E that is!). Bruger - great 5K in the warm temps! Great speed there old guy! Are you going to do another one in the fall? It is going up to 94F today in the PNW!!, (avg high temp this month is normally 76F!!) so I am planning on running inside at the gym. Probably some sort of speedwork. Then I will lie around on the floor the rest of the day in our un-airconditioned hovel.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Beautiful day here--ran with a friend this morning, met at 7 am for 8.11 miles in 1:03, so a sorta PBJ special. Off to make some fake-eggs omelets and then perhaps a packet pickup in my future Wink. Get your snacks set for the Women's marathon in Beijing. I bet Mariposai is whipping up something way more wonderful than what I'll be having. (Altho I did make a feta/spinach/pepper/onion/olive pizza last night that was pretty good Tongue). Happy day, everyone. grins, A (and I must say, a $21 car bill restores my faith in human nature....that ought to get reported to the Car Guys!) booger, greta race.....way to run!!! Cool
                  Masters 2000 miles
                    Perfect morning at start 54F & sunny but it warmed up fast & was 69F at finish, could've used a breeze he last couple miles. Anyway 6.2 w/DW in 1:02:20 then I added a couple of neighborhood loops for total of 8.7 in 1:27:10. FIL's cancer battle coming to an end soon, he probably won't survive the weekend, the last 2 weeks have been very bad. Sad

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

DickyG

The way I saw it, Phelps lost that race...Mark Spitz is still the man...although one of the ESPN guys commented that Phelps was able to manipulate water better than anyone since Moses. Twocat:
                      Tonight it is off to a comedy club with my DW and her BFF and her BFF's DH. It should be fun even if it costs me in tomorrow's race.
                      You realize, of course, that now you must post not only a race report, but 3 jokes as well....and you still shoulda considered the rasslin' tix as wife's birthday gift.. Roch: If you can run a hilly golf course, you're a better man than I...tried it before and absolutely tanked after 9 holes. Henrun: You cut your 2.5 mile time down by a full 2 minutes..jeez...how'd you do it? Holly:
                      Tonight after work I’m grabbing the kids and packing them off to grandpa’s, then zipping home to fix dinner for friends (teriyaki steak/red onion/yellow & orange pepper/mushroom kabobs with rice, steamed broccoli, crusty whole-grain bread, goat cheese, red wine – not as fancy as Tall makes, but still yummy).
                      Got room for one more guest? Sounds amazing. Carolyn:
                      Snow accumulation up to 2 inches.
                      What time do the lifts open? Ribs: Bridge...I used to be a very competitive player during my college years and later partnering with my dad until he passed away. But if you don't play for about 5 minutes, there are another hundred conventions and you fall behind quickly. I still read a few of the newspaper columns but don't play much anymore....and I can't believe you've hit the 3-mile mark so quickly...actually, I'm not surprised...you're one tough dude! Jeanne: Nice going...you're now running better than me...and judging from the way I played Thursday...able to beat my butt in golf...and the Alan King video is hysterical....thanks. NoNo: Really hope your knee problems heal fast..as far as feeling nauseous goes, happens to me all the time (usually after a race when I check my watch and see how bad I did). Tell you what, I'll loan you the $21.. Tramps: Don't knock table tennis..I happen to stink at it, but those who are good can be REALLY good. I got $5 on you vs. Forest Gump. Breger: Congrats! I think 23:30 and 3rd in your age group is fabulous. I ran a pretty decent 4 miles today on a tough, hilly course...36:25 (9:06 pace)...last 2 miles in 17:20. Ended up the week running about 1 1/2 more miles than normal so that was OK too. No run planned for tomorrow...golf, Olympics, Cup race, nap...actually pretty full day. DickyG
                        nono, sorry to hear about the car accident but, with no one hurt and the damage an unheard of $21, the ending isn't too bad. breger, congrats on your fast 5K and 3rd in AG. Nice long runs for CNY, henrun, Peter, hopeful, and mariposai. After Thursday's shortenend run due to a recurrence of hamstring twinges, I was aware of my hamstring yesterday during normal activities. That concerned me. This morning, I decided that I would try running but cut it short if there was any problem, maybe even after the first few steps. I started even slower than my normal slow and took short steps. I ended up doing 3 miles in about 32 minutes for a 10:42 pace. A few times, I was aware of my hamstring but it was not uncomfortable, just noticeable. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                          Tom the hamstring problem sounds so familar. I took a proactive approach, keep running slowly and lots of stretching. Now I'm back to where I was, which isn't where I want to be, so I'm continuing the more aggressive stretching. My goal is make my legs 10 years younger Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Sarge, my condolences to you and your father in law and family. I hope things go easily for him. Nono, that was a piece of good news for someone who needed some good news. Bill, I'm proud of you. 7:35 pace down in that weather is pretty darned good. DickyG, my partner in college was Marty Bergen and my sister helped edit his first book. My latest fun coup was finding an error in Bobby Woolf's column and sending him an email. He sent me back a very gracious note acknowledging that he had set the hand up incorrectly. I still follow the game closely, but you are sure right about the conventions. Today I went out to the Lake to do 3, but ended up walking with a bunch of folks and before I knew it I had done 4. 1:08, or 17 per mile. Feeling fine. Tomorrow I will pick up CNYrunner and take her to the lake and let her run with the big dogs, while I walk a bit. It will be wonderful to meet her in person. I think the world of her and she is so much fun on this site. Spareribs
                            SteveP

Nono, it's kewl you're due for some kewl news. Breger, nice going on the hardware. There's been a tough spell. It's been nearly two weeks since my last run. The dog and I went out on some trails. When we got back, he took off after the school's cross country team. He bit a kid pretty good. We had to put him down. I took time off of work. When he got out of quarantine, my brother and I took Ace camping in the middle of nowhere. An isloated spot on top of a hill and by the Muskegon River. The dog ate ice cream and sausage to his heart's content. We played frisbee for hours. It would be launched from the top of the hill, hover over the valley and the dog would be under it when it came down. When it got dark, he'd chase the laser pointer down the trails, off the cliff, into the sand dunes and into the river. When I got tired, he'd chase the sparks from the camp fire. He was wet dirty and smelly but still shared my sleeping bag. When we got up in the AM, we played more frisbee before my brother and I took Ace to the vet, after we stopped for more ice cream and sausage. I tried very hard to find an alternative, from what trainers told me was that the dog would always be a danger. Today, 5.5 miles. At one point, I was going to pack it in, then I found a super ball. So I finished the run and bounced a ball.

SteveP

SteveP

Sarge, sorry to hear about your FIL. Ribs, I'm finally jealous.

SteveP