Masters Running

August 13 - Hump Day Runs and Such! (Read 397 times)

5.5 easy miles in new shoes 400 meter pool swim shotley. Smile
      hopeful4ever I was up at 4:30am! Just posting now though. Nothing like a dog to er pull you along! Dave59 fall weather bad! Followed soon by winter weather . . . brrr. Tramps Congratulations on finding a fix to the extra ST lap problem! I will have to remember that. Jlynne colds can derail training for a bit. It is amazing how fast bodies deteriorate! perchcreek nice recover run. breger1 you were in a running funk just a little bit ago. So what happened to pull you out of it? Peter NC hills plus rain! You are one tough dude! SueT48 how long does winter last around here? Nice hill run today. WillRunForBeer nice double digit run. Heck you even beat my start time and I thought I was out early! nonoruns ah, dogs just like being with people. Getting to run with you is likely just a bonus in her mind. DickyG well Holly beat me to the translation key! I hear running intervals can immediately erase any thoughts about a prior nights softball game. In fact, it erases pretty much all thoughts other than how much everything hurts! Might be worth a try. Wink Holly S. just keep healthy. Impressive cross training routine today. Mariposai nice double digit run with a tempo set thrown in! Way to go! Twocat sorry for not replying to yesterday's posts but I really should not have spent the time I have on this already! Kind of busy today and I need to stop procrastinating at this point. I got up pre-dawn as my TP was supposed to arrive at about 5am for a 21 mile run with me this morning. She made it at 5:10am and off we went. I had two goals today one was to get in 21 miles (duh, no kidding! yea, yea I know) the other was to get back before 8:30am when I expected some contractors to show up and fix my lights. We have been having lighting problems all summer with two different firms pointing fingers at each other after each iteration. I wanted to finally put an end to all that by demanding they both appear at my house at the same time. Today was the day. Well I got home at about 8:35 and they had already started as I had left directions on how to get in if I happened to be out. I am really happy to report the lights are now working! Yea!!! Oh yes, gorgeous morning for a run here in SW CT. Clear skies, low humidity, temperatures in the mid-60's. Felt good throughout the run with the last two miles at about a 7:40 pace. Things are not bad!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Guess I am kinda sorry for bringing up the womens volleyball team Black eye, but I do realize they are tremendous athletes also. Actually, when I watch them play I am more concerned about them whooping up on the other teams, than their looks (but like a good / fit figure like all guys do)... But also understand some of the other views expressed. But in fairness to our girls in the Olympics and how there are dressed, I think we need to realize that most of these teams play their matches on Southern Cal beaches, and that's how appropriate dress is accepted here in the States... but maybe not on the World stage though. Lookin good there Bill with your running as of late Smile Nice 10 with 7 at tempo Mariposai...your running very well also. As always Mary....nice to here about your runs with Brinkley - such a cute picture also Happy "late" B Day Kevin Smile Have fun shopping Cooler weather is great, huh Dave....nice 4 miler Get better soon Jeanne - summer colds really suck Sad But good workout regardless! Lou, that is one good thing about the wave run, because you have to really think about what you are doing and pay close attention to paces...time flies by to me doing these wave runs - great run! As usual Steve, nice recovery run with the "almost" attacking Bambi Big grin DickyG...you are one funny dude and a enjoy reading your posts. Again Holly, glad to see you are still being smart and patient - and nice X training too Peter you wrote: "Running out the door as I type this...8.04 miles of hills @ 9:24 in the rain" - Did you know your exact miles and pace before your run Big grin I thought it was funny when some one wrote yesterday, that Ribs will be passing old ladies and small children before he knows it Big grin (paraphrasing) 4.5 easy recovery miles for me last night, and looking forward to my mid week long with 1000 M track repeats tonight Smile. Have a wonderful day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

I made the point to Lou that he has invented the "wave progression" run, which is a first here. He sure executed it well, and Tim is right that one feature of it is that because you have to pay attention to paces, the whole workout just flies by. Good job Lou. Another 2 miles at the Y indoor track, 37 minutes, which means I am not trying to go faster, but just that I am more comfortable. Yesterday I didn't nap during the day and I slept great! Off to lunch with a former consulting colleague. I hired him in the mid-90's and he has gone on to be President of a medical/insurance payments firm. I get visitors, phone calls, cards, etc., and each of them helps break up my day and moves things along. It is almost sinful the life I am leading right now. Spareribs
          munchkn883

3.5 mile walk for me this morning in the sprinkling rain. It was fabulous!! I can't believe I've actually walked two times already this week!! Didn't see you perch...I was in your neighborhood! Hopeful4ever -- that is the cutest pic!
              9 miles again this morning, and still managed to stay under a 10 min/mile pace. I thought for sure I'd be dragging after yesterday's GA pace. The cool temps are wonderful. BTW: all joking (which is fine) aside, I'm with Holly and Tramps on the volleyball-in-bikinis discussion. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I have always wondered why some (most?) female elite runners wear the equivalent of bathing suit bottoms, while the guys seem to do OK in shorts.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

TwoCat asked: "breger1 you were in a running funk just a little bit ago. So what happened to pull you out of it?"
                This is sorta embarassing but I think I was overtrained. This made for a prolonged period of fatigue and generally feeling down - which is usual for me. I've reduced the miles and have taken more rest days which have helped me feel fresh. And I been doing some speed work which (I think) has helped me break out of my (slow) pace rut. I've been doing some 5K's and have one this weekend, which has made me ease up on race weeks - sort of a mini-taper. Which itself has helped keep the miles down. That's today's theory anyway. (I am so clueless sometimes ...) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai - how about sharing a recipe for your chicken casablanca (or an invitation to dinner will do just fine) DickyG - do we have to take up a collection to buy you a new pair of shoes?!!! Over 750 miles?? Nice run in those decrepit shoes! Twocat - wow - your workman showed up and even arrived early - you can't possibly be in a New England state ;-). Or maybe it's a different culture on YOUR side of the state.... Holly - I'm still chuckling about your "butt-picking" statement (which I agree with wholeheartedly).

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

evanflein

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I have always wondered why some (most?) female elite runners wear the equivalent of bathing suit bottoms, while the guys seem to do OK in shorts.
                    Well, PDR, I've thought the same thing. And I'm with Holly on the form obviously overruling function with all the wardrobe adjustments those women seem to need... Ok, I enjoyed all that stuff yesterday but had to skim it over quickly today. Between work, soccer tournament and trying to get my miles in, I'm always feeling a borderline panic that I'm just not making the grade... Too much stuff left half done, undone, poorly done... agh. Driving me crazy. So, in an effort to multitask a bit... I picked up the boys yesterday and delivered them to the soccer fields a couple minutes late. They're supposed to be there at 3:15, ready to warm up for their 4 pm games. Then I drove over to the park where some of our races start and/or end, parked the car and headed out for what was supposed to be just an easy 5 miler. Felt good so, sort of like Lou on that last mile of his, I just kept going to see how long I could hold a good pace. The bike path that was flooded a couple weeks ago was above water but muddy, so I carefully trotted over that, up the ramp and on down the road. Felt really good because the sun was out, temps were 73 (yeah! first time over 70 in ages!), and my foot felt pretty good. Some uphills and wind on part of the run, but overall just good and didn't feel like I was pushing anything. I checked my watch at mile 3 and couldn't believe the time, wondered if the Garmin missed some distance somehow, but I was on a measured route so knew how far I'd gone. Cool beans, kids. Turned into a 6 mile tempo run. Mile splits: 8:15, 7:45, 7:56, 8:12, 7:46, 8:00, 7:59 overall average. Walked a bit, then drove to the games. Soccer note: DS2's team had a rough game. I think every kid got a yellow card, but nobody got a red card this time. We were down 5 players for injuries or red card from Monday's game. Tied 2 to 2 so we're still in the running. DS1's team played like rookies. It was as if they'd forgotten everything they'd learned this summer. Lost 2-0. And DS1 was benched the entire game. WTF?? He thinks coach was punishing him for being late (5 minutes!!). Coach even played an injured player while he sat on the bench! DH was furious. So if it happens again today, DS is supposed to politely ask Coach what's going on... Mary, that's one cute puppy. Glad to hear she's doing so much better. Byll, so glad you got your groove back! Smile
                    Mariposai

Mariposai - how about sharing a recipe for your chicken casablanca (or an invitation to dinner will do just fine)
                      You are more than welcome to join us for dinner...are you serious about the recipe. If so send me an email at nancyquiindy at yahoo dot com and I will send you the recipe.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I Can Go The Distance

Recovery run of 4 miles for me today in 41:38 (10:25 pace). I felt fine, so I guess yesterday I was still feeling the affects of Saturday's LR and increasing my mileage last week. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Byll, glad you found your groove again. Not much I can add about the women's beach volleyball outfits. Holly said it best. I overslept today and missed my run. Actually I wanted to miss it. Still feeling worn out from that trail race. Quads finally not screaming at me. I checked the trail race series standings and after the first 3 trail races I was 15th out of 17 females. So then I checked the last race and only 6 of us did it. Lucky for me, the two women below me in the standings ran it. So I should end up 4th out of 6!...which sounds so much better. I am already thinking of doing it again next summer, just because it is an awesome workout, hill repeats disguised as lots of fun! Enjoy the day.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I was a bit stiff this morning but the nice weather shook it out of me. A simple recovery run 5.5 miles at a relaxed pace.
                            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                            also on Twitter
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

My second time to run two days in a row. After yesterday's great 6.5-mile run on the treadmill, my 4.3-mile run today outside was more difficult, but OK - 47:57. I "ran into" a friend on our street who was doing an easy recovery, so we ran together for a little while. She's young, fast, and is training for her first marathon in November, so I huffed and puffed while she struggled to go slowly enough not to leave me in the dust! Big grin She has little kids, so they rode their bikes as we ran (I live on a very quiet cul-de-sac). I was VERY much looking forward to my annual physical exam later in the morning. I printed out several of my RA graphs to show my doctor, who was a runner before his knees gave out on him. Results of the exam - I've grown half an inch to officially measure 5'-9" (!) and am in "great shape!" Three years ago, the doctor told me I should be at 150 pounds (I was over 180 then). So it was quite exciting to see 148.2 come up on the scale. I asked if I could lose a few more pounds, and he looked at me like I was nuts! He said he guessed it would be OK, but where I am right now is fine. Whoo hoo!!! My oxygen saturation measure was 100% - the nurse said, "I can tell you're a runner." My overall cholesterol has gone up, but the good stuff went up more than the bad, so he said it's fine. Blood pressure is fine, too. I'm so happy! As he looked at my records from the last few years, he said, "Remarkable job!" Thanks to all my RA friends for helping my achieve my health goals! I still can't believe it.
                                Very, very cool Teresa! Congrats for sure! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong