Masters Running

Weds 9/3 - Short week - Hump day already (Read 414 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Google Chrome? Gotta check that out! Of course it was a nice cool 62F this morning as I walked 2 miles wearing a splint on my leg for Tory. We saw numerous rabbits but did not pet any deer. I've got my healing plan in place.. 5 days of nothing but Tory walks then 5 days elliptical and spinning then start back running and be at 40 mpw week of Sept 15th. I keep remembering in Pete Pfitzinger's book "Advanced Marathoning" concering injury and the training plan. The rule of thumb is 10 days or less off with injury, resume the plan normally. More than 10 days, adjust goals. The extra sleep feels great and I keep thinking of Forrest Gump: "I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now" I may need a padded cell within a week.... have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

lamerunner

Happy Wednesday morning Got up early and out for about 9, 8 at a good strong tempo pace, probably 7:30-40 then the last mile slow. I had not really planned that for today but I figured out at 3 am that DD was still up finishing summer schoolwork; she had not read the history assignment carefully it seems and there was a lot more to do. My annoyance with her lack of planning and worry about the little sleep she would get kept me up mostly after that, so I got up at 5:15, made the lunches and got going. I guess now I don't do the speed/tempo I had planned for tomorrow... oh well. Used the nervous energy and had a strong encouraging run, at least for today.
      DickyG

Softball report...we are still alive...barely...after winning our first playoff game last week, rain postponed all games last week...last night we lost the first game to the #1 team, then pulled another upset in the second game. The loss put us one game from elimination but we've still managed to win two playoff games despite finishing the regular season 7th out of 8 teams....end of softball report. Carolyn: 37 degrees? I smell skiing in the near future!
        I just felt really strong on the hills, and although I did take walk breaks, I really charged the hills and felt good.
        That's great! I'm a firm believer that taking small walk breaks on hills doesn't hurt your time very much, if at all. I always find that after a 15-second walk I can start out a lot faster. Maine: As usual 2 great runs. Looks like you got your hands full at work...that's what you get for taking a vacation, playing golf, cooking, eating, and enjoying your family. Twocat: First of all, if the weather guys are right, plan on some sour weather this week-end. Second, after your excellent 20K race, lots of great junk food is certainly in order...and if you feel the least bit guilty, remember that all that stuff would only be a between-meal snack for Phelps. Finally, the injury-related "sermon" was on the money and frankly made me feel better about being hurt all the time. Aamos: 3:34...wow! Very, very nice. Larry:
        My lower left leg has been grumbling for 3 weeks now and I am getting a little concerned. It seems to have moved from my Achilles area to my mid calf area.
        Man, another injury? This makes about 90% of the group...hope you are able to work it out, Larry...jeez...I think I'm gonna put Twocat's sermon on the fridge. Tim:
        I saw two little small does that still had their spots on them. I stopped to look at them for a few minutes and guess what...they both walked right up to me and I petted their heads till their mother snorted and the cute little one's walked away back towards their mother...neat experience.
        Well, Tim, if you want to see some more, drop over to my house anytime...this morning there were 7 in the back yard and another 2 in the front...they might be cute, but they are first class pests around here...and my car has the dents to prove it. Decent run this morning...4.5 miles in 40:52 (9:05)...tough course with 6 big hills...only walked once..13 seconds faster than the last time I ran this course. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #3309

and my car has the dents to prove it
          I manage a Collision Center Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

8 easy miles with T...8:01 pace The weather looks nice for Sunday...
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Off day for me, so I took the dog for a 40-minute walk. What beautiful weather we're having! Fall is the best. Dark Horse, I hope it goes well with the kids and that you don't get any that are like my 13-year-old! Shocked
              wildchild

Carolyn

Carolyn: 37 degrees? I smell skiing in the near future!
                This morning it was 34 degrees at 7 am. Ice on the windshield. The forecast says 20% chance of snow on Friday. Yeah, skiing is fun, but not in September. Sad Those of you who have problems with deer should consider getting dogs! We have deer and elk in our area, but not in our yard. They do allow hunting here, which helps keep their numbers in check. This morning the dogs were going crazy barking at the coyotes, who were howling up a storm. Tim, nice that the fawns in your area are so friendly - that sounds like a cool experience. Dark Horse, I'm sure you'll do fine with the kids. The trouble-makers are not likely to be taking Latin. Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Back to civilization after 4 great days in the woods. I so envy wildchild who lives in the mountains and does not have to go up there just once in a while like I am forced to do. We all had a great time. Our exchange student survived all the hiking and camping. School started for us yesterday. With two boys in highschool, both of them in a soccer team. DS starting driving school and running start I can see that I will have very little time to run Dead, unless like the Beers I wake up at 4am to do it. Sorry to hear that perch is dealing with injury issues. I hope is nothing serious. I was happy to see your recovery plan. You are one smart athlete. DH, good luck with your pupils today. Gordon is your marathon this weekend?????? If so I wish you the BEST my friend. Remember...trust your training. No run for me yesterday nor today. The body still preatty wiped out from the weekend's adventure, so I am going to rest one more day and go at it again tomorrow, unless I feel ready to run again this afternoon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Those kids don't know how lucky they are having DH teach them Latin. Good luck horse. Mary, you wimp. Now get out there and run! Perch, good plan. We are all watching you. Sue, I don't know what the fitness lady was bugged about. Sounds like you improved greatly. Good for you. I posed this question for discussion on Kick, so I will give you a shot at it too: Who's your favorite, Bobby Flay or Alton Brown? Weather update: The Dallas area has chilly winds today. Lots of heavy gusts, no rain though. The Saint and I walked together. 5.25 at just under 16 minutes a mile. Very enjoyable. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hands down, Bobby Flay to me...I love the cooking network shows. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Oh my goodness, Alton Brown by far! We watched his episode on peaches last night (On Demand). He actually tells you why he's doing something and has such a great (and quirky) sense of humor. Bobby Flay----not so much. Fine food from Chef Flay, but he's too into his manly sex appeal or so he thinks. Since Mr. CNYrunner used to work at the Culinary Institute of America, I got to meet both of them at a special event there years ago. Alton is the real deal and very kind in person. Alton has style AND substance. Oh...running, eh? I am having an upside down day. I was up at 4:30 AM to participate in an international conference call with one of our client universities in Germany. This tested my language skills (nicht sehr gut) and never mind that fundraising and philanthropy and other development jargon can't quite translate. I should have asked Dark Horse to join me.....conference call in Latin! I loved my five years of Latin. Well, singing "Jingle Bells" in Latin wasn't pretty, but the rest was incredible. Lucky kids indeed. I did get out for a run at 9 AM. The sun was high and the humidity was rising, but it was a great run. This was a dial-in the pace run to work on form and steady turnover. I label it as a pace run in the log, but it's not quite that. Anyway, 13 miles at 8:10 pace on a hilly course, torso still, arms pumping, shoulders low, feet striking at mid-foot or better. I was happy. No deer, but plenty of bunnies, squirrels and other critters scampering. The herd of school busses had already dispersed. Wink. Good running lamerunner and great way to burn off the energy and stress! Hang tough Perch...I know you will. I developed such painful IT issues on my left leg just four weeks before the Hartford marathon in 2000. I stopped running completely for two weeks and could barely walk for the first few days. Anyway.....I did run and snagged a BQ. You are such a smart and strong runner. I know you'll be a model of patience. My family did want me to move away for a while there. Speaking of BQs....Boston Marathon 2009 registration opened TODAY. Yikes! Back to the grind Karin
                          Glad you are back Mariposai. Still feeling bleh. Wish this would just go away. I will attempt some sort of cardio tonight. Good luck to DH on his first day of teaching Latin! Tim - I hope you checked for ticks! My avatar is a public dock I sometimes start or end my runs on. The tiny lake is always glassy with fog rising off it. I want to be there right now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DH - I'd say something clever or sarcastic, but I won't. These students are lucky to have you, and I predict you will be one of those teachers that they remember for a long time. 5 very slow recovery miles today - paying for yesterday's speedy fun. I was thinking about doing 9, but I found myself just dragging along and decided I wouldn't get much out of 4 additional miles. Now is not the time to push through fatigue and soreness.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Not sure about Alton, but Bobby is a marathoner.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              TammyinGP

Good Day Masters - it's been awhile since I've been here. Life has been real hectic these past few wks with my husband's surgery, post surgery complications, having to take unplanned time off work to care for him and just the usual busy-ness of the end of summer time. But hopefully now, life will get back into a routine and groove. DS started 3rd grade yesterday and was so happy to be back. I was off yesterday as well, as I always am on his first day back, so I can hear about his day as he gets off the bus and make that special after school treat for him. and since I had the day off work, I got in a lovely 8.3 mile run after dropping him off at school. It was a very chilly morning (I could have even worn my running gloves for those first few miles!), and it felt good to get in a decent distance. As you can see from my log, I haven't been able to run much the past few months and haven't done a long run for almost a month, so I really needed those 8 miles yesterday to prove I could even still do it! Hopefully September will be a better and more consistent month for me. I sure hope so since I'm in a HM in about 2 months - plus a few miscellaneous local 10k's over the next couple months as well. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy