Masters Running

Weds 9/3 - Short week - Hump day already (Read 414 times)

Tim! We had a family of 3 deer in the front lawn of our neighbors just 2 doors down last night. They were trying to cross the street (live on a boulevard, with a center grass island, and the speed limit is 25 mph) and cars were slowing for them. They were headed in the direction of a much busier street, so I was most glad they decided to turn around and head back toward the hills from whence they came. Hang in there Perch. You are a good sport to post when you are not running, and be cheerful. Must the good example of others (not me, for sure) like Holly. Whoa, if the Boston Reg. is open, must get 09 Fenway tickets soon! Gym day for me, sigh. Yig, Carolyn, I am so not ready for cold. Bruger, about that party in Florida. Would I love it if I just plain moved there? I have running chums in Tallahassee. Best of luck, Gordon! grins, A
    Masters 2000 miles
      Aamos, You'd love it down here. And you'd love running down here too assuming you like running in H&H. 'Course you'd be sure to love it since I'm down here (doing my best DH impression). Don't go near Tallahassee. It is a long way from Ft.L. And FSU is there so I'd have to not talk to you anymore. (DS is a Gator.) Bill PS: gotta plan out those party supplies ...

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SR - thanks! I think the trainer was most peeved that my baseline heart rate for the bike test was 15 beats higher than my baseline for next year. She wasn't sure how to interpret the test in comparison to last year. Didn't matter to me - I already know my aerobic fitness is way ahead of last year.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Aamos, You'd love it down here. And you'd love running down here too assuming you like running in H&H. 'Course you'd be sure to love it since I'm down here (doing my best DH impression). Don't go near Tallahassee. It is a long way from Ft.L. And FSU is there so I'd have to not talk to you anymore. (DS is a Gator.) Bill PS: gotta plan out those party supplies ...
          OK, how about Ft. Myers, where the Sox train? ps: running in H&H is better than running in S&I! And would it be ok just to run this come Feb. 1? http://www.tallahasseemarathon.com/
          Masters 2000 miles
            Ft. Myers is right across the state. That'll work! I guess you can run the Tallahassee Marathon if you must ... How about Miami, A1A (Ft.L.), Disney, Gasparilla (Tampa), PLB, Jax ... geez there's so many. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Those kids don't know how lucky they are having DH teach them Latin.
              Spareribs, You are right. But they will find out. Everybody else, thank you for your good wishes. Day 1 went great. I handed out a syllabus for the year, and explained it point by point. The kids smirked and laughed when I mentioned we would have frequent quizzes, but no pop quizzes--I would prepare them for each quiz, and it would be part of their learning. I asked why they laughed, and they told me the last teacher--though she was very knowledgeable--was totally disorganized; she would announce quizzes that never happened, and give pop quizzes on the spur of the moment. One of my tasks today was to rummage through her crammed desk, and look for the final paper written by one of last year's advanced Latin students for whom she had not turned in a grade. I found the paper; then I went to the guidance department and turned in a grade of A for him. He is a senior this year and needs the grade for his record as he applies to colleges. These are all nice, smart, motivated kids. In fact, they may be a little too smart. Most of my Latin dates back 30 years or more. I did refresh it this past spring semester at UMass/Boston, but I'm not yet as sharp as I need to be. I will just do my best, and we will all learn together. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #957

I will just do my best, and we will all learn together.
                A great attitude! But I have every confidence that you will do extremely well. How wonderful that you have found a job that you love - not many can say that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Wow, Tim, that's quite the story about the deer. The only deer we have around here are Moose and I don't get close enough to pet them, not even the cute ones. And they leave more than dings and dents on your vehicle... I imagine Dark Horse being a special teacher to his kids the way my high school english teacher was to me. I still see her around and she's still great. I graduated 31 years ago and still get big hugs from Francine. Like Mariposai, I didn't run Monday or Tuesday. Monday I was just too busy, and yesterday was busy and tired. Just didn't care if I ran or not. I don't like feeling that way, makes me think I'm on the edge of burnout. And it's not just running, which is actually a nice escape for me... Sometimes it seems that every angle of life sort of comes at you at once. Normally you can bounce these things off, or deal with them effectively, but sometimes it all just conspires to hurl itself on you all at once and I just want to go crawl under the covers. Too much to go into here, but it does help to read about everyone else's runs, plans, races and life in general. Tonight is soccer tryouts for the comp teams. DS1 has already said he's done with soccer. With the crappy year he had, I don't blame him. But he also quit XC running. And has no interest in any other sport or activity, which pisses off DH to no end. But he's taking advanced classes and senior level classes (he's a jr), and so far is loving all of them. DS2 lives for soccer and can't wait for tryouts. He's also getting ready for basketball tryouts, and wants to find a job (but he's only 14). They're so different it's amazing they're related. Ok, off to go see what sort of run I can find.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Dark Horse, what I've learned from my kids is that they like any teacher who is ORGANIZED and cares about his or her subject. They will be happy to learn with you as you go along!
                    TammyinGP

ArkDa Orseha, ongratsca onna the obja. ouya illwa eba a reatga eacherta! (you probably didn't know I could speak Latin also didja?!!) Big grin

Tammy

((((((Tammy)))))))...I meant to send you a big hug earlier anyway. You have been through so much! Your igpay atinlay is abulousfay! Smile Arinkay MTA: The kiddo had his first day of seventh grade today and is taking French and Latin. I am thrilled since he originally said no way to Latin. He'll be lucky to have a teacher as dedicated and organized as Dark Horse. So far so good.....his textbook looks great (although he said hands off!)
                          ArkDa Orseha, ongratsca onna the obja. ouya illwa eba a reatga eacherta! (you probably didn't know I could speak Latin also didja?!!) Big grin
                          Tammy, Don't make me get my paddle. Dark Horse
                          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                          TammyinGP

D'oh! I knew something didn't look right - - - I forgot the "y" on all my words. It's been so long since I've written in Latin. Maybe a few lessons are in order, eh DarkHorse? And I promise to be good . . . no paddle necessary for this attentive student! Thanks Karin - it's been a rough few wks. Sometimes hard to keep mustering up the energy and positive attitude, but I keep trying. I think I wanna temporarily run away from my life . . . .you wanna come with Erika? Seems we both could use an escape for a bit. Maybe we could go do something crazy, like take a latin class for the fun of it.

Tammy

Big grin Big grin tooooooo funny!! nothing for me tuesday except a 4 hour nap, school shopping a meeting from 7-9 then for some stupid reason i stayed up too late on the computer and then read so was not in any shape for a morning run after my youngestt son went off on his first day of h.s. like i hoped.........nope back to bed for some catch up sleep however -- i did get out around noonish and was cursing myself because it was much hotter then than it would have been at 7 am -- oh well -- i did say i like heat and humidity right???? so did 10 miles today ....... for some reason on the 4th mile i was having a melt down - shouldn't have been because my 1st 3 miles were consistent for me 9:34, 9:34, 9:38 - but then my head started playing mind games - i started walking - then was asking myself why i run??? i'm not fast, i'll never be fast, i can't put in the mileage a lot of people here put in ........... but then i regrouped and said -- you run because YOU LOVE IT!! i do love it - i love being outside enjoying the surroundings and even when i have to run indoors i enjoy the time on the treadmill (well if i don't have to do more than 6 miles that is) so what if i need to walk sometimes and so what if i never run fast - i love it and as long as God gives me the ability to stay out there i will - even if i walk at times.............so there it is 10 miles in 1:45:51 -- total avg pace of 10:35 -- pretty darn respectable for this old gal if i do say so myself -- lol

denise

so did 10 miles today ....... for some reason on the 4th mile i was having a melt down - shouldn't have been because my 1st 3 miles were consistent for me 9:34, 9:34, 9:38 - but then my head started playing mind games - i started walking - then was asking myself why i run??? i'm not fast, i'll never be fast, i can't put in the mileage a lot of people here put in ........... but then i regrouped and said -- you run because YOU LOVE IT!! i do love it - i love being outside enjoying the surroundings and even when i have to run indoors i enjoy the time on the treadmill (well if i don't have to do more than 6 miles that is) so what if i need to walk sometimes and so what if i never run fast - i love it and as long as God gives me the ability to stay out there i will - even if i walk at times.............so there it is 10 miles in 1:45:51 -- total avg pace of 10:35 -- pretty darn respectable for this old gal if i do say so myself -- lol
                                Way to go Denise! Love that attitude. Bill