Masters Running

Monday, Monday, May 18, '15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, it's always good to know what affected your performance in a race, especially with an DNF. You did have a tough time of it, so that you ran as far as you did is a testament to your tenacity. I won't tell you what to do about upcoming races - you're a smart goddess, and will figure it out.

Hang tough and rant on, TW. Packing up after so many years is more stressful than one anticipates it will be, so just do what you can when you can.

Sounds like Hudson enjoyed his graduation, which is how it should be, Ribs. I'm glad you and The Saint waited out the storms and got a run in.

Dave, the only upside of moving is when you get settled in your new home and come to realize that you made the right decision. But getting to that point is also stressful, so take it as it comes, do the best you can, and don't worry about the things you can't control.

Smart move to give the ankle another recovery day, Stumpy. Enjoy the Sox game tomorrow! I hope you don't need a bumper shoot.

I'm glad you had fun racing and rumba-ing, Robin.

Great speed on the 21.5er, WC!

Keep doing what you're doing, Tet, and you'll beat the bridge clock for years to come.

Great news about the wedding and new baby, Deeze! But sad new out of the Sudbury Tri. RDs always remind racers when they are on roads that are also open to traffic, but few of us really take in the risks that poses. I hate to be reminded of that lesson the hard way. I drove in the opposite direction of runners in a half marathon yesterday morning, and too many of them were across the center line onto my side of the road. I slowed and gave them plenty of room, but we all know that some drivers are very considerate around racers.

Sounds like some good racing and shopping by the ocean yesterday, Aamos.

Nice rainbows for your birthday, Starr!

Nice running for you and EP, Mariposai.

Yesterday's racewalking races went off pretty well: Fastest time in the mile was 8:53, and 26:23 in the 5K. Some 16 year-olds from Maine and MA did great, and a 19 year-old who had never racewalked before (he looked at some videos a couple of days ago) finished the mile in 10:19. His for was far from perfect, but he was 'legal,' and did great for a novice. My only disappointment was when one of our local racers, who was trailing the field in the 5K, opted to DNF rather than hang in and race against the clock instead of against the other racers. She had arrived with a bit of an attitude before the races, so perhaps she was just having a bad day all around. She left in a huff, and I figured it wouldn't make any sense to try to talk to her till she calmed down.

I was right on target with 6.7 RW miles this morning. It was in the upper 40s and overcast, but it felt good out there. As part of my post-workout routine, I graduated from 66 to 67 crunches today. I managed the one-up without too much stress... I've got another evening meeting today, so it'll be a bit of a long day. So it goes.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..thanks for the Kind Words guys//.............sometimes it just gets a Wee Bit Overwhelming, ya know??

much appreciated.

.............although having tet blame me for his Running Career is a little bit unsettling.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Since there's very little possibility that we will actually come and help you pack, the least we can do is provide a spot to vent.   Ending that many years of anything is not easy to do.

Isn't that an old (Marx brother's?) punchline?  She left in a huff.  I thought it was a Chevy (or something like that?)

To make up for missing the weekend, I headed out for a very rare Monday run.  All the soreness is gone from the ankle--still not sure what went wacky, but happy it's gone.  Turned out to be even closer to a tempo than I've seen in quite a while--just a hair over 9 m/m for 3.1 miles.  I may even see a mile split in the 8's, which would really be a shock.

eta:  I had to search, and as usual, the memory was at least partially accurate.  From Duck Soup (and Groucho)

Firefly: Well, that covers a lot of ground...Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You'd better beat it. I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must've been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

5.38 humid, 68°, miles this morning.  By Wednesday morning it will be back to 33°.

Today will be mostly work, but Tuesday & Wednesday will be mostly house stuff.

Good morning gentlemen and those yet to post. Thanks for the great recap Jay. A little behind here. But it sounds like Jay needs some caffeine to get through his long day, Tom needs a hug, Kevin needs an atta boy for his nice run this morning, and Dave could use "serenity now!" (Frank Costanza's famous line from Seinfeld).

Reporting in after the Cellcom yesterday. Worse. Race. Ever. Training for four months in 20 to 40° temps is ideal for me. A race day with a 60+ temp and high humidity is not conducive to me running well. I forgot my watch and my running partner was fired up and ready to go. We were hoping for a 10 minute pace but I knew after 4 miles we were way faster than that. I cut her loose because I knew she had a good run in her and I was going to struggle. Lots of walk breaks but still managed an 11:03 pace. The longest it's ever taken me to complete that half. But I'm done beating myself up over it and will take this as yet another learning experience. And at my age I know my fast times are behind me. The woman who won the 60-64 age group was around an 8:48 mile. Something I'll never see again. The good news is I got to meet Mike, his son Ryan and daughter Laurie. Nice, nice people. I didn't get to see them after the race but I hope they had good runs and Mike's spit didn't end up on his leg when he ran through Lambeau Field this time.

Have a great Monday everyone.

Jlynne, we also got a spell of the warm and muggies starting yesterday, and I was glad that I was working our HM instead of running it this year! I don't think I could have matched an 11:03 pace in any case.

Hope you're recovered, Holly, and welcome back, TW. We are quite a group with our aches and pains, aren't we? And I use "we" to include myself lately!

I hate to post another bummer story, but late last week a locally-known runner died after being hit by a student's car while running the roads on the nearby Oakland University campus. I have run those roads dozens and dozens of times over the years! The details haven't come out yet, but the stretch of road where he was hit is particularly wide to where cars can pass safely without even crossing the center line. So all I can think of is that it might be a case of distracted driving -- not an unlikely thing on a college campus these days.

This morning was like running in mid-July: hot and humid. I managed 5 very sweaty miles at my now-typical pace of around 10 minutes per. At least I do get warned up pretty quickly in these conditions, but then in a couple of days it might be cold enough to be back wearing tights again!

I hope it's not a preview of Charlevoix weather...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

jlynne, an 8:48 pace for a woman in the 60-64 age group is a pretty good time, not as fast as Aamos, but a good pace nevertheless.  So good for her. As to you, we all slow a bit as we age and I wouldn't be me if I didn't grouse about it sometimes, but I also accept that my fast times are all behind me.

The relatives left this morning and I have to say it was a great visit.  We ate a ton of food, packed in lots of activities to entertain them, plus the graduation and birthday party. All I did was cook!  Think I'll take a nap this afternoon.

4 miles for the Saint and me in the park this morning.  Hot, humid and sunny today, a steamy one.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Say, I was so droopy eyed last night I didn't even say 'atta girl' or sumptin' to Carolyn for that 22 mile (I rounded up) speedy run.  So hats off and water bottles up to you!  (I call my water bottle a water bobby.  Dunno why--maybe to personalize it a bit, as it is veddy important here in the heat and all.)

Wow, Jay, some fast times at the races.  And sorry to hear about the lady in the huff.  I'm always sad when something like that happens.  This is all supposed to be fun and not our day jobs.    And yet.  Kevin.....  (was it a blue Huff or a red one?)

.........who continues to get speedier and speedier.  Glad the ankle is better.  11 months until Somerville.  I fear the Stumpy  is going to stump all over me.

And also sorry Jlynne, as you seem sort of bummed about your time.  It is always an accomplishment to finish a half marathon.  Is the medal a good one?  And time is all relative; my DH would love to finish in that time, and he still has a few months to go in the 55-59 AG.  And as he would say, "I'm ahead of all those people home on the couch."

And I seem to be slowing down majorly fast I must say.  In Feb., ran a 15K in 1:10 and yesterday, ran 1:12, and with a break in the middle.

So 6 slow ones this am.

We've been watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix and found it most amusing: Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin find out their husbands, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen, partners in a law firm, have been in a long term relationship and now want to get divorces so they can get married.   Not great art, but the Sox games weren't starting until 10 pm our time.........

well and here on the east coast, Monday morning is almost history!  Have a good rest o' the day!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr – beautiful birthday pics yesterday!

Jlynne – sorry for the race not being a good one, but you are absolutely right that the first H&H after a winter of cold takes time to get accustomed to, and definitely will take a toll at a race.

TomWhite – does that activated charcoal work when the symptom is just stomach pain, rather than nausea?

Re: Another Dam 50K – I emailed Frank, the RD, and told him that I had forgotten to sign up early this year and it had filled up before I knew it, and that I would try again next year.  He emailed me back to say, “You’re a 5-time finisher – send in $15 and the form and come run with us!”  Who can resist that?  Especially since one of the regular volunteers came by my office a couple weeks ago to say that he was bringing dill pickles to the aid station just for me. 

3 recovery miles for me this morning in 73 degrees, followed by some core work.  Tummy is still a bit crampy, but otherwise I feel much better.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, $15 for a 50k??  What a deal!

Jeanne, sorry that your HM wasn't what you'd hoped for.  H&H is difficult to deal with!  But lucky you, meeting Mike and Ryan and Larva!

Mike, congrats on 1st AG!  And how fun to have two of your kids running, too.

Stumpy, thanks for the Marx brothers quote!  Brings back memories.

For all of you congratulating me on my fast run yesterday -- first, thank you!  But I said it was 40 seconds per mile faster than the last time I ran there, not that it was fast!  My pace improved from 13:53 to 13:12, or still about the speed of dirt.   And the group I was running with, from Denver Trail Runners, took off and didn't wait for me, as usual.   Which is okay, since I'm used to running alone.  But they really shouldn't advertise that they wait for people on their group runs unless they mean it.  It was an out-and-back, so at least I saw everyone heading back while I was still running out.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - those must be some speedy runners, to leave YOU behind, because I know you are a fierce trail runner!

Mike - details, please!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike, congrats on 1st AG!  And how fun to have two of your kids running, too.

No wonder I didn't see Mike, Ryan and Lori after the race. They were probably halfway back to Minnesota by then! Holy cow Mike - awesome races for both of you!! Mike finished first in his AG, 29th male O/A finisher, and Ryan was 5th in his, 16th O/A. Those were some fast times, especially in the sleep deprived state you were in. Now you have to come back again next year to defend your title. And stay a little longer this time so you can enjoy all of the "friendly folks" in Green Bay - your home away from home   If you get a chance, pop in and tell us about how your race went.

Glad you got into the race Holly. Did you ever try ginger or ginger ale for your stomach?

Sorry your friends didn't run with you Carolyn. Not nice.

Glad you had a nice weekend with the family Ribs. You'll have to share your tips on running in heat and humidity.

Henrun

Great racing by Mike and Jeanne. Speaking of slowness, I'm so slow now that I can't even think of racing any distance longer than a 10K.

Had my annual physical on Friday. Nothing major but I'm having a lot of upper body aches and pains,primarily due to age related lack of muscle strength (especially since I don't do enough upper body work.). My primary suggested a muscle strengthening class for seniors. I checked one out at the Y today and found myself with about 15 women and 1 man. The first 30 minutes was devoted to Zumba and the second 30 to weights and stretching. It was quite an aerobic workout. The instructor told me I did well since most of the women have been doing these routines for ages. But I worked up quite a sweat. One of the ladies told me there was an easier class on Fridays- mostly muscle strengthening- maybe that'll work better. Despite my fatigue I went out for a 4 miler this afternoon and it was one of my best runs in a while. Maybe the workout helped??

evanflein

I feel sort of out of it, too. Had to go back and see if I even posted yesterday (nope). Our weather has turned spectacular and it's hard to stay inside too long!

Holly, good news about getting in to the 50k and I agree that's an excellent price! Glad you're feeling better.

Such sad news about these tragic interactions between runners (and cyclists) and cars. It so often is a case of distracted driving and so preventable! Just really makes me sad... and mad that these needless tragedies happen at all! I've almost been hit several times by cars, usually by drivers looking the other way while pulling out or looking down at (probably) their phone or something. Grrrr!

Jlynne, I like the way Amy's DH puts it into context... you may not have gotten the time you wanted, but you beat all the slackers who didn't even try! And fun times meeting speedy Mike and Ryan and Larva (?).

Henry, that class would really appeal to my dad. He didn't want to move into this retirement community because he didn't want to leave his house, and I think he felt it would be admitting he was getting old. Well, once he realized all the social opportunities, AND how many single retired women were there, he loves it! My mom just rolls her eyes and he gets a silly grin when we talk about it. He'd love an exercise class with mostly women! Good for you for working the upper body too. Balance is all important!

Starr posted a beautiful double rainbow picture along with Carolyn's star message, Carolyn runs trails with mountain goats who won't wait for her, Dave is balancing working with house stuff and still running, Stumpy is feeling better, Jay just keeps walking faster than a lot of people run and on and on and on. You guys are pretty impressive. Is Tet really blaming tomwhite for his running career? I missed that one....

Yesterday was the warmest day so far and we set a high temp record! Ok, before you guys get all excited, it was 79° but I think we blasted past an old record of 69° which is impressive. Today will be mid-70's and tomorrow could be 80°. Humidity? Absolutely none. We're at 16% RH right now, which just sucks the moisture right out of you. Everyone is worried about wildfires and we already have a few smallish fires burning in the area. No smoke issues so far....

Ran 14.6 miles yesterday before pulling the plug and accepting a ride up the hill from DH on his motorcycle. Plan was 15 miles so I was close. Got a bit of a sunburn on my shoulders and neck... need to remember sunscreen for more than just my face! Ended up the week with just over 55 miles, right about where I want to be. I'm about to head out soon for 5 easy to get the week started.

wildchild

Carolyn

I noticed over on FB that today is Coastwalker's birthday!  Have a good one, Jay!

With all your conservation commission work, I thought I'd make your birthday greeting next to Clear Creek in Golden today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.