Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 11.18.14 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I've only been away from here for a few days, but it seems there has been a lot going on, and I have a lot of catching up to do - but not this morning.

We had a great weekend away with a couple of good friends. I got rested and relaxed, and had a few good workouts. We all enjoyed a shop that only sold oils and vinegars, and a great local bookstore. We looked up and surprised our friend's great aunt/uncle, whom he hadn't seen in decades. Spending time in their house was like going back to the 50's - what a trip! We were all glad that we spent a little time with them. We ate (and drank) well, talked a lot and laughed a lot. I needed all of that.

No workout yesterday 'cause Monday is my regular rest day, and also because it was chilly and raining all day. I got out this morning for a good, quick 5K in breezy 35F temps and under clear skies.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Your weekend sounds like just the kind of things DH and I like to do when we take a vacation break. Always look for a great local bookstore and other small shops to find some "treasure" to take home. Glad you came back well rested and had a couple of good laughs (and glasses of wine!)

Erika's going to Hawaii?? Nice! Is this a special anniversary for you?

Sorry for the early school closing Holly. Sure hope it's not another one of those winters...

That was a pretty nice takeaway for a 10k, Roch.

Wimped out this morning. It was only 10° with a pretty good wind out of the northwest at 5:00 AM. I didn't feel like layering up so I went to the Y to run on the track. Yes - that track that is 14 times around for one mile. 5 miles = 60 laps. That's all I could handle today. Then hooked up with some young folks doing burpees, mountain climbers, core work and other assorted forms of torture. Nothing will make you feel older than trying to keep up with people who are half your age

We have a second showing on our house tomorrow.  Sure hoping these are the people that will write an offer.  Stay warm everyone!

Dave59

Hill workout.  7.2 miles, 15 degrees, "feels like" 0.  A dusting of snow on the hill but it wasn't all that slippery.

mrrun

6+ miles in 35 before the winds come (and probably colder temps also).  felt springy the entire time.

Holly - click on the link under two cat's post.  the recipe is in there.  I modified it so I didn't have to run to the store - onions for shallots, cranberries for currants, etc.

Jlynne - you only need one offer - good luck!

coastwalker - nice vaca - short ones are always fun

Dave - keep those temps in your area

Happy runs/walks everyone

marj

Tramps

Sympathies to all of you dealing with early winter.

In the 20s here but a beautiful clear, crisp morning after a long gray day of rain yesterday.

EZ 3 for me, easing back into things.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

If Marj is running 6+ miles in 35 minutes I need to train harder.

Good news here.  No hip issues at all. Ran 5 with the Saint at easy pace, low 30's temps and clear skies made it a perfect day for running.  I have a ton of work today and she is off from her work so she's making jelly out of a whole mess of jalapenos from our garden.  Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hi, all.

I'm back again, reconnecting with frens after a rather disrupted autumn spent moving back to Michigan.  My training volume has crashed from 12 hours/week to, maybe, like, 1.5, and my weight has increased correspondingly.  But I'm slowly getting some mojo back - just in time for my outdoor options to be severely curtailed by weather.  I'm really struggling with re-acclimating to a place that has winter.  When I whine, the Michigan crowd usually look befuddled and say, "but you're *Canadian!*"  They don't understand that I came from Lotusland.  Anyway, faced with 20F and howling westerlies yesterday, I didn't run but chose to swim instead.

Have cruised the last page or so of notes - Charlevoix looks like an interesting race, will consider... and Dave:  We were at Mackinac island two weeks before you, in the same kooky old hotel.  The trails behind the tourist strip look perfect for running *and* riding, although I contented myself with an 8-mi trip around the perimeter instead.

Tet:   "I ran a Terry Fox 10K even in Japan.  I guess Terry wasn't able to finish his trans-continental Canada run on a prosthetic in those days and I've often wondered if anyone (or ones) ever finished it for him.  Maybe sal knows."

Well, I think every Terry Fox run is a symbolic effort to complete that run.  And I'm sure that more than one person has traced the rest of his intended route.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks sal, and welcome back, in more ways that one, especially as a Michigander again (I love to say that one). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ps erika - that's Pretty Darn Fantastic about Hawaii. (can't do it anymore but make PDF in bolds) Be careful about volcanic lava flows.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya all!

Sayhey Erika, are you running a marathon in Hawaii?  Have fun and enjoy!

Right twocat, the EXCEPT items are the ones still in use, e.g., Garmin, sportclip, etc., so I'd best NOT forget.  Packed the expo email yesterday.  I told them I thought I'd run it in 3:45, so I'm in the green corral, deez, forgot to mention that when I was running on in my email to you.  Of course, hope to see you before then.

Oh Tramps, isn't that just a fun feeling?  heh heh heh, good for you!

tet! [footnote below at ** -- tet's post from yesterday, in case you missed it and want to follow] Is the hotel owner's name Ms. Palmyra Pettison?  The hotel and the owner are featured in the book, er, or you knew that?   I didn't realise this part is based on fact, as the owner in the book, Ms. Pettison, does exactly what you describe with the hotel.  Thanks so much for taking the time to write that; it makes the book even better.  (And me even seriouser about getting out there to see you and have lunch with you there!  Must plan something concrete for 2015.  I think THAT will be my NY's resolution.  Let me know what dates to stay away from, and I will get busy checking schedules and races soon!

Good luck Jlynne!  Don't forget to simmer (making cookies would be a bit over the top, yes??)  Seriously, I remember how unnerving it is to be showing a house.  I'm thinking of you.

Silly Ribs, that's 35 degrees that marj had, of course--sounds like you had few enough degrees in Texas yesterday that it could have snowed.....

Brrrrrr, dave.....I went out for a run/walk this am (tapering!) of just 4 miles and the temperature started falling as I was out, plus a bit of a drizzle so even I was chilly.

And Mustang Sally, hello!  I was just in Thunder Bay in September, which is where Terry Fox stopped.  There's a statue of him there and the local running folk keep his memory alive, which was really heartwarming.   The whole trip there was most memorable.  Glad to see you!  Are you going to be able to come visit with some of us in late June in Charlevoix?  Please please??

grins and good Tuesdays,

A

**____tet posted yesterday:

Re the Panama Hotel here in Seattle.  
                    Even lots of Japanese have no idea it has anything to do with Japan but, as I still recall from my grandfather's explanation when I asked him in the summer of 1969 if there had been any equivalents to the moon landing (and President Kenndy) when he was growing up, it was the completion of the Panama Canal (and President Roosevelt) so it's no wonder the hotel was named after it by immigrants who loved the United States.

The current owner is a friend of my age/era who has transformed all the pre-WWII household  and personal memorabilia that internees never returned to pick-up into a museum, . . to say nothing of the authentic Japanese sento (public bath) in the basement.   Maybe I’ll trick Ribs into going there.  I’ll take you for lunch when you get back here, . . . and anyone else who’s ever in town and interested too.  It’s only four blocks away and I walk by the hundreds of pre-war dolls in the window everyday.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

The trip to Hawaii is for Thanksgiving because my son is still stationed in Honolulu and my MIL has a condo on Kauai. So we're all going over there to meet up, similar to last year but we'll have more time together. No marathon, but I'm looking forward to running without concern for ice, frost or cold cheeks or fingers! I love Poipu Beach, and Kauai is such a beautiful island.... We leave early Monday morning (as in, 1 a.m.) and arrive mid-afternoon.

Hi Sal! Glad to have you back! And yes, I understand the difference between where you were and what they mean by *Canada* since that is the same reaction someone from Juneau would get if they complained about cold. "But you're from Alaska!" Ha, yeah, the "banana belt" of Alaska, that is. Anyhow, glad to see you getting back into the swing (swim?) of things....

Another nice day here, and I'm planning another mid-day run in the sunshine.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Marj - thanks!

Mustang Sally - hiyah!

Early dental appt for a filling got in the way of my running time, so just 2.3 miles on the TM for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Sally has returned. Cool.

I wimped out today. 9 degrees and 20 mph winds was a bit much so I stuck to the tm and watched a new show - State of Affairs. Interesting. I will give it a couple of more shows to prove its worth to record. Jay, Dave and Marj are inspired cold weather runners. Now I did order a pair of goggles so I can get our there in the ugly stuff but we'll see.

Have fun in HI erika. I still recall fondly my years there. Poipu is lovely and we spent lots of time on the Napali coast. Simply wonderful.

I thought you were a West coaster and not a yuper tet. Confusing.

Well back to my project. Too much procrastinating already.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Henrun

Did 4+ miles in the same 35 as Marj (how I wish that referred to time rather than degrees- but those days are long past).

Sal, good to see you on the thread. I believe there's another statue of Terry Fox in Toronto.

Holly S. go to my Allrecipes page and look up " Grain-Free Cauliflower Couscous."

Another no running day for me.  I got up and saw it was freezing with freezing wind in the freezing outdoors!  Did I mention it was freezing out?  So I decided it was a good idea to use the elliptical at least one more day.  Maybe more.  Later on I went to the Red Cross and ran into a vampire.  I am still a bit woozy from it.  Since it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get all your red blood cells back I figure this was as good a time to go as any.  I am not going to start training for a spring marathon until late December which will be when I am at least close to fully recovered.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - so this is couscous with no couscous?  It doesn't seem like half a head of cauliflower would go very far, though.  I think I could wolf that down as a snack while chopping....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."