Masters Running

St. Pat's Eve (Monday 3/16/15) Daily (Read 30 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning, Good Day!

Happy to start this am with a feel good story.  You may recall in the past I've posted about a friend from my running group, a mom and daughter who participate in races by the mom pushing her daughter (who has CP) in a chair, and does so at a competitive level.  Kayla is 8, and growing, but it isn't stopping them.  They recently teamed up with a friend, Sammy,  who has 22Q13, a chromosome abnormality, who also participates in races in his chair.   Here's an edited news blurb from this weekend:

SARASOTA - A record-breaking number of nearly 5,000 runners, walkers and relay team members from 48 states and 11 countries participated in the 10th Annual First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon & Relay Sunday morning.

Jon Mott, 28, from Babson Park, won the men's title in 1:11:55. Jacki Wachtel, 35, from New Port Richey, took the women's title in 1:25:41.

Team Matt and Mike of Sarasota won the men's relay title in 1:29:03. Team Kayla/Team 22Q13 from Venice took the co-ed relay title in 1:29:41. Team S2 Timing of Bradenton won the women's relay title in 1:32:46.

I think this is super, and just to make the above clear, they won the Coed Relay outright, meaning almost if not all the other teams were two runners, NO chairs or other weights. 

Happy Monday!  MAke it a good one.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Morning Aamos,

Super feel good story. Happy to read about all my old friends and new ones. Been running for a week straight, feel great.

Happy running.

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

Wow!  Amy and Tall here to get us started.  I'm taking the entire week off while in Seattle. Nothing but stretching, core and lots of pushups.  Off to work. Spareribs

Mariposai

Happy is the Monday we see Tall here!

Aamos, I am so looking forward to seeing you at Boston.

Spareribs is in Seattle, so very close to me, but yet still 5 hours away .

No running here yet. I will run after work while the Easy Pacer is volunteering to do tax returns. I did wake up early to bake a twocat irish soda bread for the office. People will be happy at the office Smile

cheers my friends,

Happy Monday!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Good morning,

nothing on the running menu for me today.

just working and later will pick up more paint samples, carpet samples, etc. Hoping to agree on paint color in the next couple days and get that selected, so painter can start maybe next week.

Tammy

Good morning good people! So nice to see a post from Tallrunner! Not that I wasn't happy to see posts from Aamos, Ribs Tammy and Mariposai

How cool about Team Kayla. And Ribs taking the whole week off?  We were in Seattle last fall to see DD#1. There's some awesome places to run there. Just sayin'

Your co-workers will be very happy to see you (and your Irish soda bread) this morning. Nothing brings people together like food!

Got up at Jay O'clock to run with the girls from the Y this morning. Unheard of temp for this time of the year at 5:00 AM this morning. A very comfortable 43° (sorry Erika). 5.5 miles on the trail catching up on everyone's weekend and stuff. Then back to the Y for 30 minutes of stretching, weights and core work. I'm giving up my opener shift starting next week. I can get up to run at 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning, but it just seems so exhausting to get up at 3:30 to be to work at 4:30. Not a lot of open shifts available so I'm back looking for another part-time job. At age 62, this isn't always an easy task.

Today DH officially turns 70 and my grandson Ben is 4. We had their big bash last Saturday, but Ben wants to go to Chuck E Cheese for pizza and games tonight, and DH has graciously agreed to have his party there too. I hope I can get a picture of him with the big mouse

Have a great start to the week everyone!

Sayhey! MM#130

Yes, Hiya Tall!

Mari, from what I understand, you will be needing to look backward to see me, Ms. Speedy Butterfly!  I hope we can get together Sunday.

(Gee, I have a whole month to try and hurt myself in new way, so far I have ankle, hamstring,.......)

Happy is the Monday we see Tall here!

Aamos, I am so looking forward to seeing you at Boston.

ribs, nice picture of you with your son at the 5K.  I always enjoy being able to do a race with my kids.  Roch, neat pi race.  Xc, that's a speedy 5K.  Tammy, nice race with your son.  wild, you sure recognized pi day.  Tramps, nice going in your 8K race.  Aamos, neat story.

Nice long runs (and race walks) for Jay mari, heme, and Mike.

Yesterday, I did an 8K St. Pat's race.  The day before, I worked the expo.  During the night before the race, I didn't feel well and almost didn't go but it wasn't too bad.  The temp was in the low to mid 30s and there was some wind.  My GPS gave me a time of 54:57, distance of 4.98, and pace of 11:02.  I placed 831/968 OA and 3/3 in my AG (70-75).  I saw a lot of my friends at both the expo and the race.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Go Team Kayla!    Aamos - what's up with your leg?  If you posted about it (other than yesterday's mention) I missed it.

Tall - hiyah!

No run for me (again), just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya Holly--I was greedy and stooped at the Gasparilla Distance Classic Feb 21-22 and ran all 4 races, 30.4 miles total.  And sorta fast, given my recent ankle malady.  Felt stiff after, so I ran slow, until I ran a half March 1.  Left hamstrings most unhappy and turned it into a slow color run, in that my left thigh ended up bruised.   I know.  I'm an eejit. 

Pictures, wildchild, pictures!

Erika: really? -33 in March??

Thought I'd pulled something seriously yesterday from Saturday's 5K, but better today so maybe dodged a bullet. Felt good in a spinning class this morning, then went to the dentist after popping off an implant crown while flossing last night.

Tomorrow I go for a heart scan. It's a voluntary thing that might come out OK or might tell me something that I don't really want to know.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Roch, good luck with the heart scan, and yes, I'll take lots of pictures!  I'm taking my dogs up to my sister's in Laramie today, then flying to Greece via Chicago and London tomorrow, which will be a loooong day.   I ran 6.5 miles this morning, and I guess my next run will be in Greece! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Roch,

Hope goes well with the heart scan. I had one because I had an irregular heartbeat two years ago and I had to have it jumpstarted. It brought it back in line but It was scary and they kept me on blood thinner pills for 6 months as a precaution. A week on blood thinners and I whack my head on a hook and split my head open for 6 stiches. Ouch. Boy did I bleed. My irregular heartbeat was stress related, they could find nothing physical with it and it has not come back. Weird because my stress has never left. Running is now fine though.

Hope you are all clear.

Recent Best times: None recently

No running for me today.  Just the elliptical.

Tallrunner good to see you back!

AamosY be nice to your hamstring!  I have had too many days where it was mad, mad, mad.  

Jlynne  getting up a Jay o'clock is a mighty tough feet!  Then again so is going to Chuck E. Cheese.  Actually, Chuck E Cheese is likely tougher!

wildchild running in grease!  Yuck!  Not only gross but you will slip all over the place! 

Xc Trackster I hope you got a good price for the house.  Every move is sad until you move and discover a whole new life and then it is often better than before.

evanflein warmer is 8° or so!  That is warmer!! 

SteveP I see you have the start of your Iditarod team!

Mariposai did I mention that whenever anyone makes my Liquor Infused Irish Soda bread I am owed a commission?  Yes, it is true.  Mail 1/4 of the bread you made to Twocat in . . .   I am sure your cooking made for one happy office!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Dang it!  Twocat beat me to the running in grease joke.  Have a great trip, wild!

Tonight's run was tough...1.5 miles in 12:04 -- 2 miles in 13:34 -- .5 miles in  4:08 -- 2 miles in 13:15 -- .5 miles in 3:59 -- 2 miles in 13:34 -- 1.5 miles in 12:24.  Total was 10 miles in 1:12:58.  Whenever I run over 10 miles, I always look forward to being recognized in Tom's next post.

Okay--gotta go--see ya!