Masters Running

No Matter What Shape ...Saturday (Read 36 times)

remember the old Alka-Seltzer commercial??

===========

35mprnb

deo

.........good running guys.......Have It Your Way.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

You people are old.  I don't remember most of those ads.

Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be. 

Anyhow....I drove to our little waterside park and left from there to do 6 miles with 4@MP.  By the time got back the park was filling with families arriving for the cardboard boat race, an annual event.  Funny to see the various contraptions people were unloading, some of which I doubt will stay afloat very long.  However, there was one all-black boat with a big Batman logo on the side that one person I know would have liked.  If I didn't have so much to do today, I would have hung around for awhile.  Good weather, too.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

You people are old.  I don't remember most of those ads.

Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be. 

Ditto. 

I did 14 miles today along the D&L towpath for my long run today. Overcast and cool around 67F, so weather was good.   Kept pace easy around 8:30-40 most of the time.  My running partner is doing 20 in 24 today in Philly so my run was solo.  However I did meet/pass a few running club members/friends as well as other runners.  Even jogged a quarter mile with one friend to catch up a bit.  He was finishing 10 and I was still 5 miles out. Basically it was a good training run.

Enjoy the day folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

King of PhotoShop

Yes, the song was recorded by "The T-Bones" and you can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP1dYj2hGss

You will recognize it instantly.

Now here is an odd thing.  I wanted 35 miles this week, with my week ending on a Saturday, today.  So I needed 4.6 miles and that's what I ran to get 35 on the nose. But I noticed that I was totally uninterested in this run.  This often happens to me on the final day of my week, running the mileage that gets the weekly goal, but I am usually unmotivated to do it, can't wait for it to be over.

OTOH, tomorrow begins my new week and I can't wait to get out of bed in the morning and go hit the roads. I'm curious if anyone else has this strange attitude re last day/first day.    Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Saturday folks.

Thanks for all the ear worms yesterday.    Why is it that the more useless the information, the more likely I am to remember it?

Since I wimped out yesterday, I went out for a nice hilly run in Maine.  4.6 miles at 10:10 pace.  Which is pretty much the same as my last lap around the nice flat lake at home.  I'd like to think that I'm getting into a little better shape, but I'm betting the fact that it was just 60F and not 75F while running had more to do with it.  Still one of my more satisfying runs in quite a while.

Also hope that Mari and family get to watch the fires from a distance.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Greetings.  Looks like a lot of good running around here! ( and RW for Jay). Sorry about your calf, Erika, and I hope it heals up fast.  It may take a few more days off I suspect.

I have been running, nothing earth shaking. Thursday I ran 6.5 around town then in the afternoon headed up to Stowe Vermont for the NE Bankruptcy Conference, our annual CLE and networking  event. I snuck in a quick hike up Mt. Mansfield right before the opening reception. Steep and sporty ( at the top) route up the Long Trail. Yesterday afternoon I ran a somewhat feeble 5-6 miles, and this morning, I did 10 on our local rail trail, and it went much better.  Warm but with dry air.

Sad week around here though. On Tuesday we got word that DD's boyfriend, who had been on a climbing expedition in Peru, had been killed in an accident-- falling ice, we think, knocked him off his climb. His partner survived. We had not yet met this boy, but she is devastated. Her coworkers have been fantastic; I asked that they not leave her alone and one of the trail crew kids spent a few days with her at our lake house until she was ready to come home. She will bail out of her summer job early and head back to Colorado so she is there when his climbing  partner gets back and for whatever services there are. We think the body has been recovered and is in Huarez, but details beyond that are limited.  I feel so very bad for her.   This parenting business is quite visceral. She has been in a pretty good place, so I hope this does not derail her to much.  She does have some good friends, and time will help, but she is barely eating and not sleeping enough. She did go do some easy rock climbing yesterday and is on her way north today to go hike up and grab her remaining personal stuff from the cabin, so at least she is starting to get out.

I came home early from the conference to see her, which I think was a good move.

I may be driving out to Colorado with her some time this next week;plans are still in flux.

Hope everyone has a peaceful weekend.

Mariposai

Running is impossible right now with all the fires around us. Internet access is gone, except for cell. I will check back here when life is back to normal.  Take care my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Take care, Marioposai. Those fires, and the smoke they generate, are nothing to take lightly.

Lamerunner, that's so sad about your DD's boyfriend. I hope she has good support from friends, and yes it's probably a good idea to spend some time with her.

Nice run, Joe. I like it when I meet people out on the paths, although it doesn't happen around here very often. Can sure help make the run feel like it goes easier.

Ribs, there are some days I just don't want to be out there, and can't wait to be done. I tell myself "tomorrow will be easier or a day off" to help talk myself into finishing. And, usually, tomorrow feels much better.

Tramps, I suspect it might be the latter. You're not that much younger than many of us, I bet. Wink It does seem like the newer ads just don't have the catchy jingles they used to have. I think flashy visuals have become the norm rather than creative writing/lyrics.

So yesterday I just puttered around the house. Got quite a bit done, so that's good. Lamerunner, I don't have a few more days, really. The race tomorrow is a hard one, but has a lot of downhill in the finish so hopefully that'll help (uphill bothers the calf more than down). The calf feels fine now, but of course, I'm just sitting around in the house. Tempted to go do a couple miles on the flat to see how it feels, but might just wait and go tomorrow. The hidden blessing about all the rain we've been having is that this will be a very muddy first 8 miles with huge puddles to work around, and that will slow the pace down considerably. I'll be lucky to finish in 2.5 hours, I bet.

coastwalker

Hi everybody,

HERE is the original "How are you fixed for blades?" jingle.

Tet, you may want to try to get some Peridex (sp?) for your abscess. It is a prescription oral solution that can often help resolve minor infections in the mouth. If you are friends with a dentist, see if they can get some of it for you. We've had it in the house forever, and there are times it has helped quite a bit.

Excellent point, Ribs, about how a good commercial (Plop, plop...) can change consumer behavior. I still remember when I saw Apple Computer's first Super Bowl ad: It soundly reinforced that Apple was a different kind of computer company - they established a solid niche, but ti took them decades after that, and a lot of product innovation to go "mainstream." However, it was still ground-breaking for the company, and raised the bar quite a bit in regard to our expectations for Super Bowl commercials. Sadly, very few commercials have ever reached that level. Volkeswagen's "Darth Vader" was one that hit the right notes. I have to admit that there are many commercials I see now that leave me wondering what the heck they were trying to communicate. Give me "Where's the beef?" any day.

Nice workouts, TomW.

Tramps, I imagine that a cardboard boat race would be fun, but quite short.

Excellent run, Shadow Runner. It's always nice to catch up with friends along the way.

Ribs, you would think that doing a run to achieve a benchmark would be satisfying, but I guess not. OTOH, I'm glad you are looking forward to starting off toward next week's goal.

Stumpy, I'm glad you're enjoying the hills of Maine again. Good weather does help a run, but not as much as being in good shape. So take some credit yourself for mastering those hills!

I'm really sorry to learn about DD's boyfriend's passing, Lamerunner. What a horrible thing to happen, especially so far from home. I'm glad DD has you and some good friends/coworkers to help her through this. My condolences to her and his family.

Mariposai, that is a very scary fire. I'm so sorry that it is so close to you. I hope the fire crews can get on top of it before it does any more damage. Please be safe.

Our overnight company for last night was scheduled to arrive well past dinner time. However, they called at about 5 to say they got an early start and were making good progress (coming from CT), and would be here by about 7-7:30. So I got some cedar planks soaking and went out to get some salmon and chardonnay. I made a salad while DW put out an array of cheeses and crackers. So we were ready when they arrived. I got the grill going, and put the salmon & planks on when it got to about 500º. In 16 minutes, the salmon was crispy on the outside, and nice and flaky inside. We also had rice with broccoli, sugar snaps and white onion. We were still at the table, having a great time, at 11:30, when I sent everyone to sleep. I slept in till 4:30, and was out the door in 15 minutes for 9.4 RW miles along the coast. Just after sunrise, I saw a group of about 40-50 surfers, sitting on their boards in a large group out in a cove - it looked like they were holding a meeting of some sort, and it was a strange sight. By the time I returned, stretched and showered, our friend Pam and her daughter (on the crew team at Fordham U.) were getting ready for their morning run. So I sent them on their way as I headed out for our monthly conservation commission site walks (visiting properties of people who filed permits to work in our wetlands, which we will discuss at our meeting next Tuesday). When I returned home, we all went out to our favorite dive for breakfast, before sending our friends on their way to their family reunion on Lake Winnipesaukie (in central NH). Now I can get back to my favorite weekend activities - weeding and spreading mulch!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

lamerunner--I am very sorry to hear about your DD's boyfriend...very sad deal.

This morning, I did a 2 mile warm up in 16:38 to get ready for the Jeannie and Rob Wedding Day 5k, which I did in 19:04...then I did a 3.1 mile cool down in 25:32...then I did an 18.1 mile long run to give me a total of 26.3 miles in a total time of 3:33:31.  Even though my training planned called for a 4 hour run, today, I never intended on even going 3 hours, but I felt pretty good.  I almost went out and did another 27 minutes but convinced myself that, since I had done my first run around 7:30...and it was almost noon...that I had been running for over 4 hours already.  Hey--it made sense at the time.

Rob's run was pretty fun, though.  He belongs to a great running club with a lot of really nice people.  I like being around them.  It was cool, too, that Rob and Jeannie took the time and effort to create such a fun event on, what I'm very sure is a pretty hectic day, so more of their friends could be a part of their day.

(I'm not sure that made sense...but I think you know what I was trying to say)

Okay--that's it for me...I think I need a nap.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I had to go look up that Apple ad you were talking about - pretty nifty.

Lamerunner - sorry to hear about DD's boyfriend.  So tough to hear when good young people die senselessly.

Erika - good luck tomorrow!

Mike - I think a wedding 5k is such a great idea, and so glad you were able to participate with Rob and his soon-to-be-if-not-already wife.

5.2 miles for me in a light drizzle, before various errands.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Lamerunner- very sorry to hear about your DD's boyfriend. Glad you're able to spend time with her.

Posie- be safe and,hopefully, those fires will soon be under control. The drought is worrisome. Our recent trip to southern Ca made us very aware of that.

Erika, your calf muscles problem must be contagious. During our trip I climbed multi stairs and ended up with sore R calf muscles. It seemed better when we returned and even ran but, yesterday, while walking I felt a sharp pain and am now on rest mode- probably a sprain- and the weather is so nice.

Oh Lamerunner, I am so sorry for your DD.  She will likely really need/appreciate all the support you can give her at this time.  What a terrible tragedy.

I am not sure I understand what this wedding run thingy was.  How did the couple tie the knot exactly?

I did 3 miles with Remi, but was kind of annoyed that he was stopping every 50 feet to smell something so I brought him home and went out for another 3 miles.  Then I cut the lawn - actually there is no lawn as it hasn't rained in weeks, just a lot of dandelions, but it sounds weird to say, I trimmed the dandelions.

Stay safe Nancy!!

Door#18 has a really strong British accent (even after 20 years here), I had a bit of a hard time understanding him on the phone.  I am sure it will be much easier in person tonight when I get to meet him.  He laughed/giggled on the phone to something I said, always a good sign.  Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

lamerunner

Thank you all for the kind words. And Mariposai, take care in the smoke. I hope everyone is safe and it clears soon.

Erika, good luck tomorrow, and take care of that calf!

I think it was Monday that I posted last.  We did our normal Tuesday babysitting and I worked my semiannual gig selling shoes at the running store sale.

Mike, I like the way your wife committed you to the senior games.  evan, I hope that pesky calf is ok for your race.  ribs, it's neat that you and The Saint have been able to do a lot of running together.  Dave, it's great that you had such a good work trip.  lame, I'm so sorry about your daughter's boyfriend.  My thoughts are with her, her boyfriend's family, your family, and the climbing community he was part of.  Mike, that was a speedy wedding 5K.

Nice long runs for mari, Holly, shadow, and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for Aamos, Holly, Fletch, and Mike.

This morning, I did a small 8K not too far from here.  I think it's about 12 or 13 consecutive years for me at this race.  My Garmin gave me a time of 49:13, pace of 9:49, and distance of 5.01 miles.  I was 42/46 OA and 2/2 in my AG (70+).  My friend, Leonard, was 1st in our AG, beating me by 4 seconds.  I had a good time running and visiting with a fair number of my racing friends.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS