Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, July 26 runs and stuff..... (Read 487 times)

evanflein

Jeez... I may not do it often but I DO take it easy every now and then. Roll eyes  At least I'm not out running a 45 minute 10k with an injured heel... (MikeE!!)

Nice trail running, Skip. Sure would love to get to that part of the country. I was also wondering if JJJ was still building cairns... and running in a kilt!

Your trail run sounds lovely, Carolyn. Running on meadow trails just sounds so peaceful.

Very nice patio, Mary! That's quite the project you guys have taken on.

The Valles Caldera Preserve sent a link to photos from this year's Run the Caldera Marathon. This is the one in New Mexico where you climb up to about 9,700 feet in the first half. It's a Facebook link, but you don't have to be on Facebook to see the photos (I'm not). Some beautiful pictures in there!

Lunch with a vendor today, then getting off work a little early so will run then. Hope it's not raining...

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey--how about a granddaughters picture....here's six of them...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Mike - HOW ADORABLE!!!    That little toe-head reminds me of my baby girl when she was that age.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mike E - you are one lucky Grandpa!

Erika - Triple J was wearing his famous kilt when he picked me up for our trail run but but thought it would be a bit too warm to run in so he wore regular nylon Race Ready running shorts for the trail.  No cairn building that day!

Gorgeous granddaughters Mike! Great photo.

Love that patio Mary. Looks excellent and what a change since we were there (one month ago today by the way!)

This article inspired me: Skip you might recognize the woman's name as she was first woman at the Green Lakes Endurance run last year (50 miler?) and maybe the year before. I should say it inspired me, but doesn't move me to attempt a 100 miler!

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/amy_lane_and_brian_rusiecki_of.html

BTY

Wish I could see the pictures.  Sad

I haven't run a quality workout in a while now, and with my Half Marathon program starting a couple weeks from tomorrow, I decided I should try one of the interval workouts now, before I go "LIVE" with it and find the paces I've chosen aren't doable.

Today's workout was a Fatigue Fighter Interval - the idea is to run a 400 meter interval at 5k race pace, jog 100 meters, run a 1200 meter interval at 10k race pace, jog 200 meters, and then run a 2400 meter interval at my goal Half Marathon pace; rest 5:00 and then repeat.

I made a couple of allowances.   1)  Instead of the short jogs at the end of the 400 and 1200 meter repeats, I walked for 1:30 and 3:00, respectively.   Not so much to get my HR down, as it was dropping nicely, but to rest due to the temps.  It was 80 when i went out the door, fairly humid, and sunny, with a little breeze at my back for the first set.  2)   Instead of resting 5:00 between sets, I rested 7:00.  It seemed to make sense to me.  I haven't run a workout that included voume and intensity in quite some time, so resting more couldn't hurt.

Target times for the repeats were as follows:  1:39 for the 400s, 5:08 for the 1200s, and 10:53 for the 2400's, based on a 7:15/mile pace Half Marathon target.  Execution was good but not perfect; I ran the 400's waaayy too fast (1:25 and 1:29), I ran the 1200's at 5:08 (right on the nose) and 5:25 (I think I slipped into Half marathon pace on the 2nd one), and 10:53 (right on the nose) and 11:05 ( a little slow) for the 2400's. 

I may have had the last rep at pace in me if I had really dug in, but I saw that the teperature had climbed to 86 degrees on the thermometer on the billboard facing the trail, so I dialed it down for the final 600 meters of that final repeat. 

I think that what this workout tells me is that when the temperature is hopefully a little cooler in September when this workout actually comes up, the paces are fine, even with the shorter recovery times.  The whole idea of the Fatigue Fighters is to run at HM pace with tired legs, and giving myself additional recovery time today defeated the purpose of tiring out my legs; but it was important to me to push myslef just a little today without knocking myself out for a week.  I had originally planned a mid-week medium-long ruin for tomrrow, but I think I will just run easy (plus a rest day) between now and Friday, and go long on Saturday. 

Mariposai

BTY, I have never of of Fatigue Fighter intervals, but it sure makes sense to me, sort of like the wave run effect.

grandpa MikeE you can post those cute grandkids pictures any time. Did you find a doctor?

Erika, do you have water again at your place? Joking

I am with Erika wondering if JJJ is still running with his famous kilts! 

Skrunner, we had a chance to meet your friend at the starting line. What a nice gentleman.

Karin, I so like your avatar.

PBJ, thanks for the input on hotels! 

Mary, wow!!! that is a nice patio.

Thank you so much for all the shouts of joy for my BQ. You guys are an amazing support and inspiration to me! 

While I am still on cloud 9 and my butterfly wings are still flapping here and there with joy, but no running just yet. I am doing some walking during break and I will go out for a nice walk by the river after work tonight. I have a post marathon plan that works well for me and I will implement this again this time around.

When I woke up this morning I found my yerbamate tea by the side of my bed with some tropical fruit to enjoy while drinking my tea. While in the process of just waking up I heard the door to the livingroom open, I got out of bed to check who was trying to come in to our house so early in the morning. Well, you can imagine my surprise to see that it was my DH, dripping wet in sweat, who was just coming back from a 3 mile run. Why the shock? Well, while he has been running for 8 months now, he has never gone alone for a run. He would join me for a run, but never alone. He had a proud smile on his face when he returned!!! Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTY

Wow, Flutterby girl, how great is that  !?!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mike E, I hope you will be careful with that foot. I had a serious bout of AT in my right foot (heel) where I ran and ran and ran till I couldn't even walk anymore. I had some ok days trying to run through it, but I knew I was messing myself up...I was close to my first Marathon. Long story short - I spent 3 lonnng months pool running and swimming...that's all I could do. I would limp to the pool, and limp out for a long time. It was boring yes, but I stayed in good shape. I then used heel lifts when I slowly returned to running, then gradually took them out. Once I switched over to barefoot running and a minimalists running shoe (Nike Free Runs) I have never had a twinge of pain, or even close to any injury since...and I'm really pushing things now speed wise too.

Just sayin'..........cause I know how hard it is to stop running, and I care. And I am by no means saying you have what I did...but just in case Smile

TimBo

ETA: May be just me, but don't try and stretch right now. It may feel better immediately, but it makes it worse in the acute stage....if you have AT. And yes..........ice, and plenty of it when you get a chance

On the positive side..........beer is good therapy  Smile

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep--Tim--I have been dealing with this issue since 1998.  I've seen orthopedic surgeons, podiatrists, physical therapists.  I've taken time off--including a six month stint about a year and a half ago while doing physical therapy, ultra sound treatments, heat patches, steroid creams and finishing it off with prolotherapy.  My plan, right now, is to get through this summer's racing season and go see my orthpodic surgeon again and see what he wants to do next.  Thanks for your concern, though.  At least I had a couple months, there, where I enjoyed running pain free.  By the way--I've always been told that, as long as I can tolerate the pain, I'm in little danger of rupturing the tendon, so that's why I'm continuing to run.  It just hurts like crazy, right now, which makes running not a whole lot of fun.

evan, congratson your 3 min PR and 1st in AG. tet, good marathon including  meetup with RA folks and bear.  mari, congrats on your BQ.  Twocat, nice race.  My thoughts continue to be with your friend and his family.  hopeful, that is one impressive patio.  Mike, great picture of the granddaughters.

Nice long runs for Holly, DrRobin, and Skip (a humid one).  Good job on the speedwork for BTY.

This morning, it was in the high 60s and there was a light wind.  My lack of energy and tired legs were more severe than usual but I got in 8 miles in 1:26 for a 10:45 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks tom. it sure doesn't happen much but I was a lucky guy to be able to accompany mari's ds for 26 rails-to-trails miles from the old two mile long railway tunnel at Snoqualmie Pass down to North Bend in the valley below.  He's a tough kid whose cycling muscles aren't quite used to endurance running yet but he's determined to get 'em used to it and I'm glad to help in any way I can.  He sure doesn't get his 6:00 - 6:15m/m sprint finishes from me though. Just think, he'll be running marathons in the 2060's if he's still doing it at our stages.  Somehow he seems to have picked up his mother's love of running and is already looking around for another marathon.  I hope to be there too. .

In the meantime, TIMBEEE - have you given up what was it, IMLP / IMF or whatever you were aiming for this year. Please don't try to be an IM without some very long and trying cycle/run brick workouts,  Maybe push yourself to the limits on a heavy clunker for five or six hours to get as tired as possible before a long 15-22 mile training run..  Unfortunately, without any hills in your part of the country, it's probably virtually impossible to get the kind of intensive rides that can replicate what it feels like to be facing a marathon after 112 miles of strong, steady cycling in a full Ironman.  Maybe if you have any vacation time or can otherwise get away, a week's worth of quality training with some of the IM gang and their daily hill repeats around here would be worthwhile. We promise not to tell the goddesses if you can come so you won't be distracted so much.  Good luck no matter what.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #3309

In the meantime, TIMBEEE - have you given up what was it, IMLP / IMF or whatever you were aiming for this year. Please don't try to be an IM without some very long and trying cycle/run brick workouts,  Maybe push yourself to the limits on a heavy clunker for five or six hours to get as tired as possible before a long 15-22 mile training run..  Unfortunately, without any hills in your part of the country, it's probably virtually impossible to get the kind of intensive rides that can replicate what it feels like to be facing a marathon after 112 miles of strong, steady cycling in a full Ironman.  Maybe if you have any vacation time or can otherwise get away, a week's worth of quality training with some of the IM gang and their daily hill repeats around here would be worthwhile. We promise not to tell the goddesses if you can come so you won't be distracted so much.  Good luck no matter what.

Well Tet, I rode128 strong miles (22.7 ave pace) with my fast roadie friends last Sat - short run day, so only ran 14 miles (23 last Sunday). But I am swimming too, so I am ready if I get a registration for Iron man Wisconsin in Sept (friend of mile named Auggie is hurt, so I can use his we believe) RA goddesses...umm, well, lets go with less distracted this time around (but not complaining though - at all) 

Smile

T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

13.5 hot miles tonight w/ 6 miles at "I wanna underneath a shade tree pace" - LOL (7:20 ish)  Lost 5 pounds of water weight, and was leaving a trail of sweat ..I kinda like that

TimBi

SteveP

Grandchildren Rock!!

Nice Project Mary. Some one is quite the visionary.

SteveP