Masters Running

OKC Memorial Marathon RR (Read 275 times)

pfriese

Goal(s): 1. Have fun & run well. 2. PR (prev. 4:18:44 ) 3. finish in less than 4 hours 4. finish in less the 3:50 Goal 1 - no problem. Goal 2 - also no problem. Goal 3 - came very close. Goal 4 - wasn't very likely ayway. Training plan: This time around basically was more miles and more tempo runs including short races. Pre-race: I had a pretty good week of tapering. The only ill-advised move on my part was to accompany DW to Jimmy Buffet concert in Frisco Texas on Saturday evening before the race. Floor seats with lots of standing. Plus not arriving back in OKC until 1:30am. Not a real good idea, but DW and I had a great time. Race morning: A very hard time of getting up at 5:00am. I was moving very slow and arrived at the race only 30 mintues before the race. While walking to the start area, wa5yom saw me and we walked in together. I lined up with the 4 hour pace group and was ready to go. Weather: At the start, misting, 44 degrees with a 15mph north wind with gusts to 30mph. At the finish, sunny, 52 degrees with the same wind conditions. The race: Start was with the wind at our backs, through downtown OKC, then turning east through the old warehouse district (Bricktown). Once through Bricktown, the course headed north into the wind. It really wasn't too bad as the number of runners presented a nice wind block. I settled into a nice 8:55/mile pace through here. Once we passed the state capitol building (~mile 4) the course headed west and we had the wind at our side for a bit. Through here, I linked up with one of my long-run training partners. She was running the same pace as me and it was great to link up with her. The course turned back north through historic neighborhoods with nice big trees that blocked much of the wind. We were able to maintain pace very nicely through the north-bound part of the course with no problem. Around mile 12, I took my first GU (with plenty of water). Mile 14 is the northernmost point on the course and we were still on a sub-9 pace. Wind at our back now clear to the finish. However, just passed mile 14, I developed a bit of a side-stitch. For the most part, I was able to run through it with no problem. Around mile 18, the sun was starting to peak through the clouds, but temps were still ideal. Mile 21, my side-stitch came back, and I had to slow a bit. I told my friend to go on as she was feeling very strong. I eased up to about a 9:30 pace. No success. I ended up walking for about a block, stretching, belly-breathing, and every other side-stitch alleviation method I could remember. Started running again, but now at a 10:00/mile pace. Around mile 22.5 Opie (from KR) joined me on the course and helped keep my mind off the side stitch. I did have to walk a few more times, but around mile 25, I started feeling pretty good and was able to kick up the pace to 9:30/mle. On the final stretch to the finish, even got back up to a sub 9. Final time: 4:03:51 a new PR by ~15 minutes. Post-race: Very happy with my time and performance. The side stitch was annoying, but not sure how much it affected me overall. I also might have been a bit overly optimistic and went out at a bit too fast of a pace, but I really wanted to push in the race. I feel like I left nothing in the tank as I'm more tired and sore than after any other marathon I've run. Never was able to meet up with evryday since I arrived a bit late to the start area and left the race soon after finishing since i was so tired. Sorry I did not to get to meet up with him. Thanks for reading, Paul
    wildchild

Carolyn

A 15 minute PR??? That's awesome. Well done! You get extra credit for such a prompt RR, but you lose credit for not mentioning your fashion report. Congrats - rest up!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Hanging with Parrot Heads leads to a new PR??? Life is good.

SteveP

Wowzers.......that is a serious PR. Thanks for the report. Obviously you handled the day and the course very well. I always find it interesting that even though you did the PR, there seemed to be areas where you feel that you might have improved even more. We all got through that possibility in our post race mind. Thanks for the report and CONGRATULATIONS !
          Vista
            Paul - a 15 minute PR is a fantastic achievement! You have even faster times in your future, I would say. Well run race, and thanks for the report.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

btb1490

WTG, pfriese! That is a huge PR! Minus the difficulties you had out there, you probably would've been knocking on that sub-4 goal. It's in you waiting to come out! Nice rebounding at the end, and it was great how you got to run with some friends along the way! Congrats!
                wow Paul!! that's an amazing PR!! and after a Jimmy Buffet weekend!! way cool!!

denise

Great racing Paul and way to handle a side stitch with dispatch. Congratulations on the PR and swift feet. A few cheeseburgers in paradise for you now? Thanks for sharing your day! CNYrunner
                    Paul, very nice race and again, a big congratulations on the huge PR! Too bad about the side stitches, but looks as though you handled them with not too much problem. I looked for you at the start. At one point I saw a guy that matched your description and hollered out your name. Were you the guy in the shorts shirt and running shoes? Big grin We'll meet up one day. On a side note, Jimmy Buffet seems to be getting alot of pr in the forum this morning. Another mention in hermosaboy's post Oh yeah, I guess this is the Masters forum! Big grin
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations on your huge PR! I, too, developed a bad side stitch at Boston - terrible trying to run with one of those, but it doesn't look like yours slowed you down too much - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

you lose credit for not mentioning your fashion report. Congrats - rest up!
                        I knew I forgot something. Big grin A very fashion challenged day. Chicago Marathon souveneir hat (just to show I'm not superstitious) Loyola Univesity New Orleans maroon tech shirt (once again, I wore this at Chicago) blue (not color matched with shirt) Adidas running shorts white RaceReady gloves Thorlos socks New Balance 826 running shoes Gamin 305 Paul
                        TammyinGP

you really knocked a huge chunk off your PR! Congratulations Paul! You ran a real strong race and had a great friend to keep you company at the end!

Tammy

Renee the dog

Congratulations! Great read. All of these marathon RRs are getting me thinking that maybe....someday... Thanks for the inspiration!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

I already congratulated you so I can't do it again, but congratulations anyway on the big PR. Email me before next race regarding clothing choices however. I am thinking of starting this as a new business. Spareribs
                                Hey Paul, concert and a marathon is your idea of fun, huh? Tongue You did great with that 15 min. PR, side stitch and all. Rest and recover well, you earned it!