Masters Running

Saturday last day of April runs (Read 511 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

One last day to get some April miles! Make it a good one! It's cold here so I'm gonna drive to town to run today - but we need groceries anyway, so that's how I'm justifying it!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Last minute decision to run a little 5k today.  The event raises money for training leader dogs for the blind.  I've done this race a few times in the past.  I worked out medium/hard the last few days so I figured I wouldn't be as fast as last week when I was rested.

Still, it was a good run.  11:21 out, 11:19 back, 22:40 total.  (29 seconds slower than last Saturday.)

2/5 - 50-59

9/70 - Overall

Tacked on a mile before and two after to give me 6.1 for the morning.  A nice ending to April.

Top 'O the World!

Good morning!

I took the furbaby out for an easy (albeit hilly) 2.5 this am... lots more in the tank but, saving it for the 26 mile group run in the canyon in the morning Wink

Have an awesome weekend everyone!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Tammy, nice pictures of the cute, new, pups.  hermosa, congrats to your son on his speedy race.  You're a good dad driving that far to watch him.  Dave, nice race at Carrollton with good OA and AG placings.  I imagine some of the normal crew were there.  Do you know Craig, the RD, and his wife Joan?  They're good people.  If you watch TV5, most of the time when  they want insight on school issues they interview Craig.

Nice long runs for perch, mari, holly, and Mike.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and there was just a light breeze.  I got in 8 miles in something over 1:23:30 for a 10:27 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

Do you know Craig, the RD, and his wife Joan? 

I don't really know them well, but I've seen him on TV, and I've run this race as well as the one in July a number of times (where I have talked to him some.)  I also have volunteered at the July race.  Craig's wife is the president (or "past-president") of the Lions Club that was raising the funds for the leader dogs and she gave out the awards today.

They do an awful lot for the schools and the whole area around Carrollton.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hi folks! What a beautiful day for a race here... well, an hour west of here, that is. I ran my 15k this morning and I was very pleased with the overall experience. Beautiful course, some of it on trails, with a nice rural feel, something I'm really not used to. Chip time was 1:22:39; Garmin read 1:22:34 for 9.43 miles. Either way, my splits were all under 9 minutes, including the monstrous hill at the very end; you turn the corner with a third of a mile left, and the road is going straight up to heaven! All in all, a very good race and I'm quite pleased.

Tonight is my niece's Sweet 16 party and we're driving a bunch of kids to the party for my SIL. We get to stay as guests too. My niece's birthday isn't until Tuesday, so this is the perfect weekend for her to celebrate. Me, I just get to celebrate the fact that she was born on my birthday 16 years ago. Smile

GO RACERS GO!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave59 and Orange Mat - nice racing!

Mntnchk - good luck tomorrow!

No run for me today, no workout, nada.  My DS had to leave at 7:45am for a track meet and DD had a friend staying the night, so I decided to cook up a good breakfast - pancakes, bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, got caught up in helping DS get ready, and before I knew it had run out of time to workout before I had to head out for a job intervew.  Lunch out with DH and DD, grocery shopping, and now time to head outside to practice batting and go to DD's softball game.  Last night her team won 14-8 woohoo!

MikeE - I did not go to DS's track meet today (40 min. away) because his event is scheduled to be last, at about 2:15-2:30pm, and I have to get DD to her softball game at that time.  Just so you know.....Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Last minute decision to run a little 5k today.  The event raises money for training leader dogs for the blind.  I've done this race a few times in the past.  I worked out medium/hard the last few days so I figured I wouldn't be as fast as last week when I was rested.

Still, it was a good run.  11:21 out, 11:19 back, 22:40 total.  (29 seconds slower than last Saturday.)

2/5 - 50-59

9/70 - Overall

Tacked on a mile before and two after to give me 6.1 for the morning.  A nice ending to April.

Missed this earlier. Congrats!!

Mike E

MM #5615

MikeE - I did not go to DS's track meet today (40 min. away) because his event is scheduled to be last, at about 2:15-2:30pm, and I have to get DD to her softball game at that time.  Just so you know.....Wink

Oh, good.  I was feeling guilty about not going to mine!

Yes--great job Dave--jumping into a race at the last minute is tough--but you did very well.

And OM--it sounds like you attack hills like you attack life--you just power through!  Great job!  Have a great time with your niece!

It's raining here.  I was going to do some yard work but I guess I can't, now...oh darn...

evanflein

Dave, that's a very nice 5k time for you, even though slower than the last one. I'm always happy with anything sub 23, and I've only gone sub 22 once. I think 5ks are hard. You're doing so well with your running this year.

Woohoo Orange Mat! I'm so glad you had fun at your race. Ever since your first race when you didn't have a very good experience, I've been hoping you'd find some fun races. Not that racing is anything you "need" to do, but it can be a lot of fun to challenge yourself and get out there with a big group. Nice job on that hill-to-heaven finish!

Wildchild, I'm going to run farther than I'd planned today so I can go get my car. I have to go in to work a bit today anyway, so figured I'd have DH take my car to the campus rec center, I'd run there, shower and get cleaned up and get my car. Hey, whatever works, right?

^5 to your DD on the game, Holly! You sure have a lot going on with both kids in sports... Is this why yesterday's run was longer than a typical Friday run for you? Juggling and rebalancing... the life of a running/working mom! (ok, dad's have to do it too, but I'm a mom so I said mom)

Mike, your son is very speedy, and he runs with a fast crowd. That time is not one to be disappointed in (but yeah, if he knows he can go faster, I see why).

We've got plumbers in our basement, cutting up the concrete and digging out a trench for new pipe. The old (cast iron) pipe had collapsed so is barely passable, and rather than dig it up and replace it (way too involved), we're laying a new, 4" ABS pipe across (well, underneath obviously) the living room floor to connect to the main just before it leaves the house. This should bypass all the old trouble spots we've been dealing with for years. It'll be nice to finally be more or less done with this... there's more cast iron down there from the bathrooms and laundry, but hopefully this will take care of the issues we've been having with too much load on a too-small pipe. And why the hell the builder used cast iron back in 1979 is beyond me. I think he was into cutting a lot of corners wherever he could, and we're paying the price 30+ years later. Thank goodness for homeowners' insurance is all I can say.

Mariposai

Magnificent spring day around here. Clear sky, gentle breeze with spring flowers bursting in color.

Well, you know all the racers are already in Spokane for Bloomsday, which is tomorrow when a slow poke like me wins the local small 5k race. But hey, I will take it.  hey,I can now say...I was an overall winner in a 5k once Wink. Time 25:11. Ave pace: 8:08. First overall, second racer came in a whole minute and 28' later. I won a gift certificate for Brooks running shoes.  Happy with my time since I had only 5 hours of sleep and I was on my feet all night and for 4 hours this morning decorating the cake.

On to finishing the wedding cake, then go to an Eagle Scout ceremony for a dear friend of our son, then to a Quinceanera, where there will be yummie Mexican food and good music to dance, then  home to sleep for a few hours, then up early tomorrow to drive the 3 hours to Spokane for DH's first race in history! Life is good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

......28min poolrun........actually offset the Friday Run nicely.......

ClaireVisit in progress......

eg

bagpipe music, ball bounching, toenail painting, interpretive dancing, and laughing.......

gotta go

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

wins the local small 5k race. But hey, I will take it.  hey,I can now say...I was an overall winner in a 5k once Wink. Time 25:11. Ave pace: 8:08. First overall, second racer came in a whole minute and 28' later. I won a gift certificate for Brooks running shoes.  Happy with my time since I had only 5 hours of sleep and I was on my feet all night and for 4 hours this morning decorating the cake.

Hey--way to go CHAMP!!!!  (You weren't wearing those wings, were you?  They might have given you an unfair advantage)

Mariposai

of course Mike E, wherever I go my wings go with me. 

I wore my blue wings today.

Tomorrow I will wear my 5th Ave, wings!

Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

You are just too cool! 

One of these days, you're going to have tell me the story...I never did figure it out.