Masters Running

St. Patricks 8K - Bay City, MI (Read 261 times)

Summary 44:34 - 8:58/mile 3/7 AG (65-69) 380/600 OA This is the eighth consecutive year I have done this race. It's nice and flat and starts and ends in downtown Bay City just before their annual St. Patricks parade. Until last year, it was a point to point that ended down town. This year, I had company for the ride to and from the race. A neighbor, Meredith, who grew up with my kids went along. We also picked up a friend of Meredith's, Phoebe in Cass City. Meredith said she was planning on a 9:30 - 10:00 pace and Phoebe was planning on 9:00 - 9:30 pace. I was hoping to get close to a 9:00 pace but questioned whether I'd be able to get it. The day was a little cool, low to mid 30s which would have been fine except there was a pretty decent wind that would be in our face on the way out. The turnout was good. There were many more in the 8K than in previous years and the 5K run and walk appeared to have more than usual. In spite of the large numbers, I still saw some of my friends before the race. Upon starting, I pulled a little ahead of Meredith and Phoebe figuring I would be running faster than them. In spite of the normal congestion at the start, I was able to get going well and, after a couple blocks checked my Garmin and saw a pace about 8:40 which I figured was too fast and backed off a bit. It's so easy to start out too fast. At about a mile, my pace was a little under 9 minutes. About the two mile mark, I had slipped to a few seconds over a 9 minute pace. I really appreciated making the turnaround and having the wind at my back. I don't think it made running any easier but it felt a lot more comfortable. At the three mile mark, I was still above a 9 minute pace but may have gained a second or two. I kept watching for Meredith and Phoebe but didn't see them. Just before and after the turn, I did see a few others I knew. At the four mile mark, I was just about at a 9 minute pace and got hopeful about finishing sub 9. I didn't feel to bad the last mile so probably hadn't pushed hard enough. At the end, I was pleased to see my Garmin had me at a pace of 8:54 for 5.01 miles. I knew the official would be a little slower but figured I sneaked under 9, which I had. While milling around in the finishing area, I saw a few people I knew and met up with Meredith and Phoebe. It turns out that they had passed me just after I thought I had taken off and I didn't see them in the early congestion. Phoebe beat me by about 10 seconds and Meredith by about half a minute. I think they sandbagged me with their pre-race predictions. While waiting for the results to be posted, I saw a few others I know including a young couple Mike and Mallory who had gotten engaged since I saw them at my last race a month ago. Meredith and I left Phoebe to be with her family to watch the parade and came home. I was pleased with the day and the race. TomS
    coastwalker

Hi Tom, Sandbagged by a couple of kids...what's this world coming to! Wink Sandbagged or not, you did an excellent job of controlling and staying on pace to get under your target time. Nice effort, even with the wind. Of course you saw people that you know at the race! Why, that almost goes without saying at your races because you ALWAYS know people there! Big grin I'm glad you had a good time; glad that you achieved your goal; and glad that you got to spend time with friends. Congrats also on your 8th consecutive running of this race - that's a nice achievement too! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

nowor

I bet those "kids" are shaking their heads saying "he's as old as my dad and runs my time!." Good going. Nice to be friends w/ younger folk and have company on the commute as well as the race.

Renee the dog

Nice little AG snag there tselbs!!! Probably the thing I like most about running is how it brings folks of all ages together. Cool stuff. Great read. Thanks for sharing it!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sandbaggers!! Roll eyes Sounds like a good time and you did run so evenly. You seem really good at that, knowing what pace you can hold for a particular distance. And 3rd in your AG, super!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

woohooo - nice job Tom!! great pace and congrats on your AG award!! Big grin

denise

SteveP

It sounds like a wonderful race Tom! Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Oops. I hit a wrong key. I was 4/7 in AG not 3/7. TomS
                    Another wonderful gathering of Toms friends with a little running thrown in. Wink Nice running Tom and glad you showed them wipper snappers how its done. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice running and racing Tom. It's clear that you love the chance to be with friends at races like these---nothing better in my opinion. Your turn to sandbag now! Good showing!
                        Great run, and nice race report, Tom! Nice and flat course is always good!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

I didn't feel to bad the last mile so probably hadn't pushed hard enough.
                          Isn't that just the truth? I tell my DH, "If I don't feel like I'm going to throw up near the end, I probably didn't run fast enough." We runners are a strange group. Big grin Another fine race for you, TM, nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oops. I hit a wrong key. I was 4/7 in AG not 3/7. TomS
                            Who really cares Tom...your tops in our books thats for sure. You ran a great race as usual and met up with some friends. It doesn't get much better than that?
                            TammyinGP

Great race Tom! Thanks for the report. You ran a nice consistent pace and sounds like you really enjoyed this race!

Tammy

hi Tom, congrats on the 4/7 AG! It was interesting to read how you controlled your pace during this event. As for the kids sandbagging you, you still gave them plenty to think about!