Masters Running

Sunday Mar. 15 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 450 times)

I ran 15 miles this morning at Marathon Pace - 8:36. I didn't have time for the 18 miler I had planned, as I remembered I have an early Church meeting to go to. This run felt both hard and easy. Aerobically, the HR stayed at 141 virtually the whole way - that being my "easy" HR limit. It never drifted upward. But because I've been fighting a cold, physically this one felt physically challenging though the HR said otherwise. The legs were balking the last 4 or 5 miles with some minor aches and tiredness, so I slowed very slightly toward the end. I'm going to assume the legs were talking to me due to the cold and that this'll pass as soon as all the crud goes away. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Good Morning Bill Very nice run! I won't be getting my long run in today.......I'm at work Sad I did get out for an easy 5 this morning and hoping to get another 9 in sometime later today. The weather has been awesome and the extended forecast looks great too! Not much else to report.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow, nice run Bill, even with a cold...hope you get over it soon. You are runnung soooo well!!! Sorry your having to work so much Slo...that bites. But I had to work about all day yesterday and some this morning...long story. I got in 6.5 miles in late yesterday at 8:45 pace, and just got back from a 5 easy miler at 9:00 pace. Very much up in the air about my knee. Does not hurt while running, but pretty sore before and after. Next week is suppose to be nice, so I think I will spend some time cycling to let my knee heal up more. Just read about Holly's impressive 5K, and want to giver her a BIG WTG. But also want to tell her to quit being so down on herself. She had a goal, and as far as I am concerned....she nailed it. And, I told her NOT to rely on the Garmin for accurate paces what so ever. She should go with the clock to find her ave pace. Last year on one of my 5K's, I tried to use my Garmin for my splits. Mile one my Garmin had me at 7:15 pace, while a guy timing the racers at mile one yelled - 6:45 when I passed that mark. I need to go back and read yesterdays posts again, to get caught up on everyone. Have a super Sunday everyone! The one and only...TimBo - is that good or bad (rolling eyes)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Of course, no running for me to report. But my DW went off for 7 miles this morning and is now at the gym. I am just killing time while working a bit. Holly as my ultra competitive training partner, who routinely places in her AG no matter the field size, would say the goal is to beat only those who show up at the race. In fact, my guess is she cares naught for her actual time only her placement. So, celebrate your victory!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

I like that Two Cat. I also get a kick out of the people who get all bent out of shape when the course distance is off a bit. My reply to them is "Hey, we all just ran the same race." To me it matters more where I place than the time I finished in. You can't tell me your strategy is different for a 10k vs a 10.09k I'd rather take a 2nd place AG finish than to go home with a 19:50 finish time and empty handed Wink

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Slo.... I'd take either Big grin Back from 20 miles in 42F rain in 2:52:04 (8:37 pace, AHR 151) Hip was a bit sore on downhills but good on uphills. The run was not very tiring for some reason. The best part of the run was the chocolate milk right after Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I love chocolate milk after a long run -- we have ovaltine Smile Nice long runs for perch and Bill, but Bill that's most excellent having "easy" HR at MP pace for 15 miles -- I wouldn't get that at all. Holly - nice race! Hardware in a big field is pretty good -- 44 is a lot of people so I think you did well regardless of who showed up. (But the time thing would irk me, too) 17.2 miles, 2:30:36, 8:46/mi, AHR 148 miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:16(141), 7@8:51(147), 5.18@8:10(155) MTA: I almost forgot -- I need new socks and there were some good recommendations a month or two ago, but I lost track of the brands. Does anyone remember which brands were touted? Thanks!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

Got up and out for 4 mi by myself this morning. Got back, showered and went to pick up Renee before heading to church. Didn't feel bad to run in 30something weather after last week's 60 F weather in Orlando. We (Renee, my daughter and I) plan on running a bit before dinner. In other news, I'm building myself a new planning spreadsheet. My current one isn't accomodating me anymore. Good running to all today!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

The Saint ran her half this morning in IRC. My job was to pace her. I thought I had ruined her race in the very first mile as I sensed we were going out too fast. I tried to keep the pace slow, aiming for a 9:45, but then I saw we were just behind the 2:10 pacer and I know we expect to come in before him. So like a dope instead of trusting my judgment and laying back, I stay right with him to the one mile mark. The split: 9:10. I was so fightin' mad at this mistake. I rectified the count on mile two and ran that one in 10:01. We had only one other mile over ten minutes and that was mile 12 when she was really tiring. But she ran super, and even kicked it in from about 200 yards before the 13 mile mark to the end. She never walked once and didn't complain! I am super proud of her. Final time 2:06:26, a ten minute PR. Spareribs
                    Slo

I love chocolate milk after a long run --
                      After I'm thru mixing and right before I take that first large gulp of chocolate milk I have this little saying that courses thru my head........"Let the rebuilding begin!" The next thought is usually followed by.......Ahh, Brain Freeze !
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

It took me "only" 58 minutes of frustration to register three of us online for the Beach to Beacon 10k race in August. Ack, there must be a better way. I kept getting the "Cannot Find Server" page while I was trying to enter my information. The field is limited to 6,000, and my third tranaction number was 1915, so I'm sure the race will fill today. Wow! It's worth the trouble.
                          Didn't get to the library in time to post yesterday. (Think I'm gonna have to break down and get internet at the NJ home for the summer.) But yesterday's run was so greta, I'm willing to risk a fine to post it today: I ran my first-ever 10-mile training run yesterday, very close to the time I had been hoping to post in a race that's still 7 weeks away. Big grinBig grinBig grin Now that I know I can do 10 miles, I'm ready to actually register for the Broad Street Run! Whoo hoo! Stretched quite a bit right after the run and again later in the evening. Not feeling a whole lot worse for wear today. Smile I was thinking of last week's discussion about what our deceased parents would think of our running exploits as I finished yesterday. One of my last and fondest memories of my dad is standing on the boardwalk with him the summer before he died and watching dredging equipment fill in the beach. I always feel especially connected to him there, and think of it as "Daddy's spot on the boardwalk." The whole boardwalk is a little under 2.5 miles long, so if I run anything longer than 5 miles, I usually add some distance on the street or beach on one or both ends. Not sure why, but I decided to do two round trips on the boardwalk yesterday, and I finished exactly at the my dad's corner. I think he'd think I'm some combination of crazy and really impressive. Smile Kevin - glad to hear that the doctor wasn't able to make you flutter. Hope your recovery continues to go well. Ribs - awesome photo of Riblet and Lucy. Holly - super job on the 5K. SRLopez - you are amazing! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

It took me "only" 58 minutes of frustration to register three of us online for the Beach to Beacon 10k race in August. Ack, there must be a better way. I kept getting the "Cannot Find Server" page while I was trying to enter my information. The field is limited to 6,000, and my third tranaction number was 1915, so I'm sure the race will fill today. Wow! It's worth the trouble.
                            i am soooooooooooo bummed -- can't believe i forgot at noon --- i just tried and it's already closed!! how did they hit 6000 entries in just 2 hours!!

denise

1.6 miles on the TM, still feeling flu-ish, oh well. It is nice to have something in the log other that a big blank square. SR , congrats to your wife!!! 10min PR, wow!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks, folks, for the kind words. A big congratulations to The Saint on her excellent PR HM! Eliz – congratulations on your first-ever 10-mile run! Wildchild – no, I didn’t win anything exciting, only a cheap generic medal. Better than the only other time I won 1st AG, though. That time I got a paper certificate. Roll eyes Re chocolate milk – I have bought chocolate milk at the grocery several times, but each time, my family sucks it down like there’s no tomorrow, and there has literally NEVER been any left by the time I do my LR. Angry I’m thinking of getting the powdered chocolate Quick and hiding it in the cupboard. 16 miles for me today: 3 mile WU, 9 miles at BQMP, 4 mile CD. All that talk about Miracle the other day made me find it at the library. That’s our family movie tonight. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."