Masters Running

Sunday 22 March Mothering Sunday Runs (Read 482 times)

jules2

Hate running in the morning but the only time I can get out today as need to fit a cycle ride in as well. Cold but clear morning without a cloud in the sky, birds singing, Canada Geese making a racket and the first Sand Martins of the year all the way from Africa yes Spring is here. 5 miles in 40 minutes still tired from last Sundays race and last night run. Have a good day all you mothers and good luck to anyone racing today.. Just think only 35 minutes between the last of yesterdays posts and the first of today, talk about 24 / 7.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Congrats again to Tramps, PDR, and WRFB on yesterday's excellent race results. Y'all did us proud! Today was the third 20 miler of this training go-around. The target was 9:05 min/mile. But mostly I tried to work on my mental approach which I have to admit is (and always has been) my biggest obstacle. I may post a seperate thread sometime asking for guidance on the Mental game of marathoning. Other than the 1st mile, which is always my slowest, every mile was under the target. Overall 20.20 miles in 2:58:01 for an 8:48 min/mile average. I can't say it was particularly easy, but I was able to pick it up the last 5 miles. 12 seconds over MP for 20 miles sounds pretty good to me. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Congratulations to WRFB, PDR and Tramps on their awesome performances yesterday. I just read Tramps' report - what a great race! You all inspire me to work harder. In non running news, I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDMOTHER!!!! We just found out last night that DS and his wife are expecting a baby in October. We're all very excited and hope our DIL's pregnancy goes smoothly. I have a question to ask of those wiser and more experienced runners: I'm training for a half on May 17th. On the training plan I'm following (a local sports medicine clinic, kind of similar to Higdon's) had the long run up to 8 miles, with the easy runs during the week 6 miles. The schedule for this past Saturday only called for a long run of 6 miles. I understand that you don't want to get injured by adding too many miles too quickly, but shouldn't we still be building slowly instead of cutting back? The race is still several weeks off. Thanks for any advice you can give. Oh yeah, 6 miles yesterday, 9: 41 pace and 6.46 miles this morning, 9:27 pace.
          I have a question to ask of those wiser and more experienced runners: I'm training for a half on May 17th. On the training plan I'm following (a local sports medicine clinic, kind of similar to Higdon's) had the long run up to 8 miles, with the easy runs during the week 6 miles. The schedule for this past Saturday only called for a long run of 6 miles. I understand that you don't want to get injured by adding too many miles too quickly, but shouldn't we still be building slowly instead of cutting back? The race is still several weeks off. Thanks for any advice you can give.
          Jlynne, perhaps this is a cutback week. In many programs every 3rd or 4th week has a reduction of mileage. This "cutback" week is followed by the continuation of gradual mileage increases. Without seeing your schedule, this is just speculation. Do you know the schedule for the following weeks? BTW...nice run yesterday and this morning.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Good running with the Js this morning at 7 AM---10 miles and 24º with more sunshine ---all in 1:27:15. I am finally starting to feel like my old self, but won’t even think of speed or racing for another two months. All the core work and stability work helped during the DL period. Congratulations JLynne---fabulous news on the family front. It does sound like you have a cutback week in there and that’s not unusual---build gradually for three weeks and step back one week and then back up again. This gives your body time to adapt and get stronger. Way to be Bill! Awesome 20 miler! Fussyrunner---you made me giggle when you called me a jock yesterday! Thank you! I am an enthusiastic fan of many sports---and while I used to swim competitively and then took up running long ago---I am likely the most uncoordinated when it comes to other sports. In school I was more of a nerd than a jock and proudly so---played violin in the orchestra, was president of the Latin Club, last chosen for Dodge ball, tutored Calculus, fell up stairs and always bumped into inanimate objects (saying “Sorry” as I did so!) etc. Watching the UConn players at practice yesterday was great. Bruce---as you probably know, Shea Ralph is back at UConn as an assistant coach---nobody tougher (except maybe Jen Rizzoti) out on the floor. It was great to see them up close and personal. We too have followed them for years and Mr. CNYrunner and the kiddo even saw them win one of their NCAA crowns in Atlanta in person. Rebecca Lobo is from a town not too far from here and we see her around quite often. Incredible program. PDR! WRFB! TRAMPS! I am so thrilled for all of you, I had to say it again---not surprised given all your hard work and good runs of late----but so happy. Congratulations and way to run. Thanks for the wonderful start off jules2. I think it’s so much better to celebrate Mother’s Day now and I wish that were the case here in the States. I was in Scotland in March years ago during Mother’s Day weekend and my cab driver gave me a rose as did the concierge at the hotel. Very cool. Housework, homework, and a visit with Super Granny on tap for the rest of the day Onward all

Hill Runner

Good morning gang! I am so excited for Tramps this morning...CONGRATS! Can't wait to meet you in Boston in 2010 .....Great running by the Beers also and anyone else I've missed. Tramps must have sent some of that perfect weather this way, it was absolutely ideal for running here today. 20.04 miles of hills @ 8:58 pace with the last 3 miles below MP/BQ pace. I felt great after...not really tired. Now to get out there & enjoy some outdoor yard work on a fabulous day.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Only 3 miles today, but it gave me new weekly high of 28.1 miles! Spring Break and a 1/2 marathon helped w/ that. Congrats Jlynne! Big grin A grandmother to be...how exciting. And your runs are fast! Good for you for following a program. I have never been disciplined enough to do thatBlack eye so I can't give you any advice. I just keep trying to add mileage weekly and then cut back the week before a 1/2. I have my second 1/2 coming up April 25 and I've never run 2 so closely together, so I'm not really sure what to doConfused CNY, I love it when nerds turn into jocks!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Congratulations to Tramps, PDR and WRFB!! Extra congratulatoins to Jlynne!! Smile Out for 12 miles this morning. I took a little different route which was much hillier and I was feeling that by mile 11 and took a walk break. Overall 11:25 avg. pace and 156 avg. HR. I think I found a hill that I can do hill repeats on this week. How exactly to I go about doing those? Happy Sunday everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Thanks, everyone! Jlynne -- isn't that just so cool? We can't wait either -- we're besides ourselves. We're going to find out if the baby has a widget or a wooget this week, so we'll be able to buy the right color clothes soon. Nice 20's Bill and Peter. Way to go on your weekly high mileage, fussyrunner! Just a little recovery run this morning. While the pace seemed awfully slow, my legs were kinda tired. Weird. 5.5 miles, 50:05, 9:06/mi, AHR 136 (70% MHR) It's beginning to feel like Springtime here -- how about where you are? Whatever your weather, have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

Bill, if you were able to pick it up over the final five miles, then that should be a good indication to you that you are conditioned, but that mental issues can be an impediment. A woman at the club told me this morning that the guy she was running with told her, "we'll be doing about 8:50's; you don't even have to bother looking at your watch." So she didn't. Turned out later she had run the whole distance at 8:15's. She said, "if I had looked at my watch and seen an 8:15, I would have thought I was going too fast and slowed down." So much of what we do is mental. Yes jlynne, it seems like that plan was designed to keep people from getting hurt, so they have put a stepback week in there. Keep in mind that when someone creates one of these universal plans for all runners in a group, it can't possibly be right for everyone, but it may make sense to be on the slightly conservative side. Run as you feel. I want to be able to run 13-14 mile wave runs this fall, with HMP and MP miles alternating with easy miles. My former "easy" pace was 8:50 to 9:20. I often run way slower than that now, so my goal is to be able to run 13 miles at easy pace, in about 2 hours. Today I ran 10 miles at 9:10 pace, which is a good first step. I would have gone longer but felt a bit lightheaded in the 10th mile so ended it at ten. Lightheaded is not a good sign for me. Tramps and the Beers, you get exactly one week to bathe in the glow of success and then it's back at it! Well done. Spareribs
                      Tramps

Byll and Peter--excellent 20-milers! Those have got to be a great confidence-builders. Jlynne--congrats, grandma! And, if I'm following it correctly, I think evryday's got it. Sounds like a cutback week. CNY--good to see you coming back so strong and being so smart about building up to speed gradually fussy--congrats on the weekly mileage PR! Mary--all those hills are good for you. Slow 2-miler this morning just to loosen up a bit. I felt stiff the first mile but was already loosened up by the second. Thanks so much for all the kind comments. It was nice to be able to share a report of such a great day with you. I'm celebrating today by totally ignoring my household chores. Yes, I live a wild and crazy life. Tongue

Be safe. Be kind.

I Can Go The Distance

Congratulations to Tramps and the Beers. Happy for all of you for having such a great race. Peter: What did you think of the UNC game yesterday? Ty Lawson showed great courage playing in what was obviously great pain. Their game next week against Gonzaga should be a good one. Duke was lucky to win. I don't see them getting by Villanova. CNY: I knew that about Shea Ralph. I'm sure she fits in quite well on Geno's staff. When I am done posting here I am going to watch their game against Vermont. I doubt it will be much of a game. Unlike the number one's in the men's game, there will be no lack of focus for UCONN! I was able to get in my 8 easy miles today before any rain came. It was windy though. My time was 1:19:07-9:54/mi. I ran 57 miles for the week which is a new PR for weekly mileage. Have a great day everyone, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

I read Tramps' RR before setting out today....what a great performance, and nice runs and support by PDR and WRFB. Did 16.1 today, a wave-like run of 3 easy (8:15-8:30) then 3 at MP (7:45-ish), plus a WD mile at 9:12......so, 16.1 at 2:10:52 (8:11's), 143/171. I also hit 40 miles for the week for the first time since September(?) Hopefully I can run more consistently this spring than I have been running....I'd like to do the VCM again this year. Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger – awesome! I can barely imagine running that many MP miles in a training run. I think I have just set my MP too fast for my current fitness, but I hope to catch up to it by fall. Nice 20-miler for you, too, Peter. Jlynne – congrats to your DS and wife. We’ll expect baby pictures, you know. Smile Fussyrunner – congratulations on your mileage PR! Spareribs – when you start those wave runs, remember to use your current HMP…. Wink Walt – I like your wave run version – looks like a good workout, but fun. 20.15 miles for me today, first 10 miles at a comfortable pace, then 7 miles at BQMP, then 3.15 miles at a recovery pace. Unfortunately I had serious digestive difficulties that caused a ridiculous number of stops during the run. I was reminded today of Holly’s 2nd Rule of Taper: Don’t Overeat the Day Before the Race (or any extra-long LR). Maybe this is not a problem for those with faster metabolisms, but for me, when I overeat the day before, not only do I feel logey and heavy, I suffer from frequent stop issues. There’s a fine line between proper fueling and over-eating. Our 5-month old Cairn terrier, Daisy, has learned how to push her way under the backyard fence. We’ve found her several times in the neighbors’ yards to either side, and just recently she found a way out the front to the street, so one of yesterday’s projects was to stake down the bottom of the chain link in several places where she was pushing through. Last night the weather was mild, so I let the dogs out to the backyard for an hour to play, but when I called them in at bedtime, only Dexter appeared. I walked around the yard, calling Daisy and shaking her biscuit tin, looking in each of the neighboring yards, but she did not come. DS and I walked up and down the street, then got in the car and spent nearly an hour driving slowly around the neighborhood, calling her name until we were hoarse, shining a flashlight out into the dark. Finally we drove home, DS in tears and me trying to be comforting. We walked in the door and there she was, having reappeared while we were gone. Needless to say, I spent another part of this afternoon securing our perimeter further.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

where is everyone? slept over 9.5 hours last night, wth? 6 miles, that's what felt right today. pace wasn't as bad as I expected. 42F and sprinkles, that is what they call drizzle around here. I suppose sprinkles sounds cheerier than drizzle. Congrats Jlynne! It will be a long time before I'll be a grandma, although I feel like one somedays.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."