Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

LOLZZZZ (Read 8 times)

No one has visited this group in over two years.

Can't you blow this place up and put it out of its misery, TERNT??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We need a place like this for running problem.

He belongs on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Is that here?

"run" "2" "eat"

did i ever tell y'all about the time i saw reba at the j alexanders on west end?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

We'll need to hear that story, Waffs.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"run" "2" "eat"

miss tonay: it's waffs, not Waffs.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

so i make an annual pilgrimage to j alexanders on west end for my birthday because i dig the sort of gangster & cigars vibe of the place. this particular instance was maybe five years ago. maybe more. it was back when i used to listen to bobby bones on my commute, and i haven't commuted since march 13, 2020, and i was listening to audiobooks for a couple of the most recent years, so anyway - maybe five years back.

i had heard reba on bobby bones in the AM - a good interview, funny, etc. fast forward to later that same day - going to j alex's for luncheon. their crab cakes are the bomb - sort of dressed up salmon patties for the elite noshers. b-day lunch always ends with a french press and carrot cake, a.k.a. big ol' dose of sugar and caffeine. like, tremor inducing dosage. i was hopped up, as it were.

so my group, we head to the exit, and i am in the lead (because of course) and i reach out and pull open the door and it's reba! she is coming in as i am going out! and my hopped up mind starts going through all the things i want to say - love me some fancy! girl, you short! great interview this AM with ol' bobby! how's the fam! entreee vous!

what comes out is... HEY, REEEBA!

like i know this woman. like we are long losties. my next most obvious move would be a hug.

she looks confused - a "do i know this crazy person?" look.

next thing i remember, i am in the car headed back to work. i blacked out but i don't think i actually hugged her.

"girl, you short!"

🤣🤣

When I get a sec, I'll tell the tales of seeing Wynonna tanked in the old Houston's on West End and the time I tried handing off a coupon to a zillionaire rock star at the Dick's at Nashville West.

"run" "2" "eat"

i'm listening...

Well, Waffs waffs, it all began, lo, many years ago in 1994 when I was living in a one-bedroom apartment in that weird little area of Murphy Rd. where it meets West End right across from where the Shoney's used to be but is now occupied by an Exxon and an arrogant and prissy French restaurant. Anyway, there I was, paying a mere $350 a month for my apartment ($350! West End! OMG!), wearing a polyester Fedex outfit by day, and playing tragic writers' nights by, well, night.

Everything was just zipping along merrily until *BLAM* that horrific ice storm hit. That was back before Fedex drivers were namby pambies, and we all had to drive around and sling packages anyway. However, after nearly everyone slid off the road multiple times and foul language was being used over the drivers' intercom thingy, the managers sent us all home in a huff. Yay!  Naturally, since this was before the internet or 125 TV channels, there wasn't much to do except eat and drink. My BFF lived a few blocks away near Centennial Park on a street that looks nary a whit the same today, as it is now jam-packed with huge angular weirdo skinny buildings filled with neck beard hipsters. Alas.

Anyhoo, my friend and I decided to brave the barren Arctic tundra of West End and go to Houston's (now Bricktops or Bricks or something Brickish) for cheeseburgers and absolutely no craft beer, since craft beer didn't exist in Nashville then. We probably had something high end like Michelob or Lowenbrau. Lolz. So there we were, minding our own beeswax when in waltzes Wynonna and an entourage! She was wearing one of those duster coats that were totes popular with country stars of the 90s who sported a little extry padding around the midsection. And let's face it, there was a reason why Wynonna was nicknamed Wide-Load-A during that time. (Don't get mad at me! I didn't make it up!)

Wy was already looking pretty happy when she came in, and my friend and I accidentally on purpose kept furtively watching to see what she was drinking, and it looked like whiskey, but this was before I really ever drank liquor, so it could have been Lavoris, for all I know. Either way, her voice got all boomy like she was a fixin' to launch into "No One Else on Earth" at any moment. Barking laughter, major hand gesturing, and some snapping at a waitron ensued. At some point, I took a massively circuitous route to the restroom in order to walk by her table, and as I strolled by, she glanced in my direction, so of course I waved and said "Hi!" Wy looked at me like I had three heads.  I continued on to the can in deserved mortified shame.

Thus ends my glamorous tale of hanging out with Wynonna back in the 90s.

"run" "2" "eat"

i laughed multiple times! lavoris!!! excellent story miss tonay and i still pine for houstons.

want to hear about the time i full on hugged garth?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Maybe she was drinking Malört?

TERNT: She looked happy, so I doubt it.

waffs: I'm listening...

"run" "2" "eat"

i'm getting my story together. stay tuned!