Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

No Sole Challenge in 2018 (Read 8 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Sole Challenge has been cancelled due to losing too much money by the RD and lack of volunteer support.

Did someone say Montour 24 hour was moved to May?

We'll have to find another option for a 24 or 48 hour or look for a 100 to do.  DW isn't keen on 100's because she's worried about the cut-off times.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sole Challenge has been cancelled due to losing too much money by the RD and lack of volunteer support.

Did someone say Montour 24 hour was moved to May?

We'll have to find another option for a 24 or 48 hour or look for a 100 to do.  DW isn't keen on 100's because she's worried about the cut-off times.

This is the most complete listing I know of for fixed time races from the Running Against Time FB group:

RAT race calendar

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks, George. I'm on that site. Bob updates that list. I sent him a post that SC was canceled.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ok so I am going to be a jerk here.  I have not even been remotely interested in SC because I thought they were charging too much.  So how can they possibly be losing money???

And yes AT - the Montour 24 is changing to May - it will be a 7:30pm Friday night start and will only be a 24 hour - no 12 hour options.  They are also changing the course - no creek crowing and no hill.  I am bummed about the no hill.  But it is still trail"ish".  Registration will open soon and I am seriously considering it.  May should be more temperature friendly than July.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Ok so I am going to be a jerk here.  I have not even been remotely interested in SC because I thought they were charging too much.  So how can they possibly be losing money???

And yes AT - the Montour 24 is changing to May - it will be a 7:30pm Friday night start and will only be a 24 hour - no 12 hour options.  They are also changing the course - no creek crowing and no hill.  I am bummed about the no hill.  But it is still trail"ish".  Registration will open soon and I am seriously considering it.  May should be more temperature friendly than July.

SC was actually priced on or under what other certified 24 / 48 hour races charge (3 Days at the Fair, Dusk to Dawn, etc). It was a huge bargain over races like Across the Years ($245-285 depending on when you register for 48 hour).

It cost big $ to get and keep a course certified and he was charged a small ransom by Norlo Park to host it there. The problem he had was the course was not easy (ie. flat) so he only drew a few elite runners and they only did it once before the realized it was not a good qualifying course.

Might consider Montour, but we are also looking at doing 48 hours at 3 Days at the Fair ($225 entry fee now for the 48)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Guess I don't think of things like a certified course.  Frankly I don't care about that since I know I would never rank in anything.  That likely means Montour is not certified.  While I wouldn't call it a cheap race, it's not as expensive as those other races.  It gets a very good crowd though due to the trail feel to it, the ability to camp right there, and an overall good vibe.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Guess I don't think of things like a certified course.  Frankly I don't care about that since I know I would never rank in anything.  That likely means Montour is not certified.  While I wouldn't call it a cheap race, it's not as expensive as those other races.  It gets a very good crowd though due to the trail feel to it, the ability to camp right there, and an overall good vibe.

Have you checked out the new Montour course yet? It looks like a little more rail trail and some road to avoid the creek crossing and hill. Right now their FB page looks like a better source of info than the website.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did see it.  Looking at the map, I am trying to remember what the new sections are like.  I do think it is a combo of single track, rail trail and maybe a small section of road.  I happened to like the previous course including the hill.  But it is still in the park and will have a trail feel if that even makes sense.  It should be faster though.

Their website is not updated yet - should be soon though from what the FB page states.