Chattanooga??? (Read 12 times)

tweisner

Chatt 2015:

Hunter:  IN

Parks:  IN

McCollum:  IN

Me: IN

anyone else?

Congrats, guys!! I very excited for all of you.

- itri - 

Josh you should know it takes me at least a month to make a decision lol. Traci told me registration opened today so I guess I'm out seeing as it sells out so quick!

if we do one it may be Augusta 2015 (same day) but 70.3

Lori

Well, I thought it would sell out fast, but I was wrong.  It's still open.

Maybe it will be open long enough for you and Traci to decide to throw caution to the wind....

tweisner

I think I would need a coach to do one efficiently and effectively and without hurting myself.  I am better with guidance.

- itri - 

I saw someone post that it was still open because of the "tough" run lol.  Yeah I'd say any 26.2 run after biking 112 is tough.

I would probably need a coach too to help me manage my time.

Lori

pschriver

I think it a combination of things. The down river swim is a big bonus for weaker swimmer. They moved the Louisville IM date back so that may be part of the reason. The market may be getting closer to being saturated with plenty of quality races to choose from. The merger of REV 3 and Challenge may also pull some people away (although I doubt it has that big an impact)

As far as getting a coach, I would suggest you 2 get one who would do it for you or else do a half first. Jumping from Sprints to a full IM is a huge transition. You really need to get your nutrition and pacing perfected before you do one of these long course evens. You could complete one with minimal training and stubbornness but may also end up injured. One of  the frustrating parts of these long course races is the fact you have to sign up a year in advance and then make sure your schedule is open for the training time and hoping you don't get a serious injury in the process and have to start all over.

I think it a combination of things. The down river swim is a big bonus for weaker swimmer. They moved the Louisville IM date back so that may be part of the reason. The market may be getting closer to being saturated with plenty of quality races to choose from. The merger of REV 3 and Challenge may also pull some people away (although I doubt it has that big an impact)

As far as getting a coach, I would suggest you 2 get one who would do it for you or else do a half first. Jumping from Sprints to a full IM is a huge transition. You really need to get your nutrition and pacing perfected before you do one of these long course evens. You could complete one with minimal training and stubbornness but may also end up injured. One of  the frustrating parts of these long course races is the fact you have to sign up a year in advance and then make sure your schedule is open for the training time and hoping you don't get a serious injury in the process and have to start all over.

What do u mean a coach that does it for u? Like plans everything based on your personal schedule?

Lori

It sold out earlier today.

pschriver

What do u mean a coach that does it for u? Like plans everything based on your personal schedule?

No. That puts on shoes and runs it for you.

Start with a half and see how it goes. If it isn't enough, do an IM.

I doubt I would have been able to prepare myself for an IM without help. Just having someone to encourage me was a big bonus. For me it took a lot of long boring rides and runs to get in good enough shape to complete the distance. I was way off the time I was shooting for but at that point I was just hoping to finish. A coach that is going to plan the workouts around your schedule is going to be very expensive. I would get a generic pre-made plan and follow it.

I think I will do Charleston in April 2015 but its not open yet.  neither is augusta.  How far in advance should I get a training plan started?  Is 20 weeks safe?

Lori

pschriver

20 weeks is fine. Most 1/2 plans expect you to have a decent base and build from there. Just make sure you get in plenty of swims and rides. You have 28 weeks to prepare for Tri-Charleston