Pickens County Y Race Team

Master swim sessions (Read 11 times)

pschriver

Interestingly I had a conversation with a Y-member today and she stated that she, along with some of her friends were interested in starting a master's swim group.I think it is a great idea. I know that lack of interest in the past has been a main reason the class is not offered but if we can get enough people to commit to coming to the sessions I think we can make it happen. Let me know if there is any interest here.

Yes!!  I did that for awhile at Caine Halter and it was so helpful and very challenging!  I would love to have this close by.

pschriver

I forgot to add, what time of day? I know Caine Halter is about 9 am.

tweisner

I'm sure I could benefit from it.  Was thinking of going to the caine halter sessions a few times anyway.

- itri - 

Hey everyone....  Dee Sizensky (Ymca lifeguard/swimmer/race team member) has decided to organize a masters swim team...  the first unofficial meeting is this coming Saturday at 9 AM at Pickens.  Hope to see some of you there

tweisner

Should we notify the race team through email?

- itri - 

pschriver

Hey everyone....  Dee Sizensky (Ymca lifeguard/swimmer/race team member) has decided to organize a masters swim team...  the first unofficial meeting is this coming Saturday at 9 AM at Pickens.  Hope to see some of you there

I'm pretty sure I met Dee at your house at the last gathering. In all honesty I think the majority of people who have interest in adult swimming are doing it to prepare for a triathlon. There may be a few "real, dedicated swimmers" but most of the other groups in this area are triathletes. It would be nice if were could coordinate here meeting time with our training ride on Sat. Do you have her contact info? 

pschriver

Should we notify the race team through email?

I think that would be fine. If we can get things coordinated, we could have the meeting in conjunction with the training session this Sat. I am not on call so I can give a little more time to the session

Dee does my saturday class at the easley Y on saturdays (7:30-8:30) so I think she picked 9AM for this first meeting to give herself time to drive over there after class.  I think we could talk to her and Tia Prostco (who also agreed to coach the team) about future meeting times.  I think they are talking about having 2 meeting times per week to accomodate people.  I'm pretty sure nothing is set in stone yet, so maybe on Saturday we can talk about it.  And Peter, just to make sure you understand, this isn't synchronized swimming.  I just don't want you to be disappointed!

pschriver

Dee does my saturday class at the easley Y on saturdays (7:30-8:30) so I think she picked 9AM for this first meeting to give herself time to drive over there after class.  I think we could talk to her and Tia Prostco (who also agreed to coach the team) about future meeting times.  I think they are talking about having 2 meeting times per week to accomodate people.  I'm pretty sure nothing is set in stone yet, so maybe on Saturday we can talk about it.  And Peter, just to make sure you understand, this isn't synchronized swimming.  I just don't want you to be disappointed!

I think that is great. I'm  not sure she is one of the members who expressed interest in the Masters group but it would be great if we could get an estimate of how many people would show up at a Masters swim. If I remember correctly, Dee was planning to do the triathlon. If she is, she should skip your spinning class anyway and ride on the road with us.

I think I know the difference between synchronized swimming and laps swimming but I find it ironic coming from a guy who teaches cycling on a spin bike dancing to disco music

I don't teach a spin class.

pschriver

I don't teach a spin class.

Woops, sorry. When I saw you going into a training room ind bike shorts and then heard ABBA singing Dancing Queen I assumed it was a spin class. My bad for assuming.

Woops, sorry. When I saw you going into a training room ind bike shorts and then heard ABBA singing Dancing Queen I assumed it was a spin class. My bad for assuming.

Ha! good one Peter.   You should stop by one saturday morning... but let me know in advance so I can make sure the deffibrillator is charged up!

tweisner

I won't be there Saturday morning so someone post a recap of the meeting.  Thanks.

- itri - 

pschriver

It wasn't am official "Masters Program" since they need clearance and approval from the Y administrations but over a dozen swimmers of all different levels and goals showed up. There was enough support to get a good swim. I'm really looking forward to this growing. I also think the informal decision is to do the bike after the swim session. 7 am is a little too dark. We can start the bike at 10.