Apppleton Pacesetters of Fox Cities, WI

Sunday 3/25 - Northern Kettle Moraine / Ice Age trail training run (Read 77 times)

TripleBock

at least 2 of us will be leaving Solea off of Breezewood Lane - Sunday March 25th @ 7:00am to run on the Ice Age trail of the Northern Kettle Moraine.  This is part of the Glacial 50k / 50M trail race course. 

We are driving to Mauthe Lake State Park and running to or toward Parnell Tower Parking lot.  The 2 of us confirmed will be running @ 6 mph ~ This is about 8:15 pace effort on flat pavement.  Reality is we will walk most moderate to steep uphills, take it easy on the downhills and go moderately on the flats.

The Ice Age trail is very easy to follow as there are sign posts every few hundred yards and very few spur trails - If there are slower runners out there that want to join - We will all just run 2 hours 15 minutes one direction and then turn around.  If you are really fast - When you get back to Mauthe Lake - You could keep going toward New Fane enough minutes to be done in 4 1/2 hours.

Butler Lake has a hand pump with clear cool spring water - Don't pass it up - If you make it to Parnell Tower parking lot ... it has drinkable water and bathrooms - This water is less good tasting - But is water.  You really need to carry a handheld or 2 or wear a camelback.

This trail is a 3 out of 5 on hills and 3 or 3.5 out of 5 for technical trail (rocks and roots)

It is a 60-70 minute drive to the trail - 4.5 hours of running a little time to get ready and to clean up ~ we would be back @ 2pm.

This is also posted on the Pacesetter's Facebook page - So either respond to me here or Andy Fetherstone there if you plan on attending.  Both Andy and I have state park stickers - So if we need 2 vehicles we both could drive.

This is one of my favorite runs -

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

DoppleBock

This run went well - Andy and Shannon Featherstone drove.  Andy and I ran as planned - with the added benefit of climbing the Parnell Tower.  With a couple of stops + the added tower climb we ended up @ 4:32.

Shannon ran a hour out and back - Then read a book in the van until we returned.

99% of the trail was in great shape.  There were 2 or 3 water crossings that had logs accross a couple of mud spots and the big open field north of Butler Lake was a little mushy - But overall a perfect day for trail running.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !