10,000 miles at a time

Worst running setback? (Read 330 times)

What has been your worst setback--whether in time off or just lack of improvement? I would be tempted to say that mine was having a BMI of 35. Shocked But that was before I ever managed to run a continuous mile.
    jeffdonahue

In time off, it would have to be the ITB issues I had a few years back - really hurt my knee to run with that and I was out for a few months because I didnt see a doctor soon enough. For lack of improvement it would have to be over-training. I tend to go in spurts and have periods of really gung-ho training and then get burnt out a bit and fall back. I cant see how this can help my speed.
      DoppleBock

What has been your worst setback--whether in time off or just lack of improvement? I would be tempted to say that mine was having a BMI of 35. Shocked But that was before I ever managed to run a continuous mile.
        I started running with a BMI of 37.5 Shocked 10 months later a 3:09 marathon 15 months later BMI 29.0 and a 2:56 3 years later a BMI of 25.0 and 2:45 To answer - Groin and hip flexors cost me 6 months (Mostly - Ran a few miles in there) - Time off was worthless - I added weight training and stretching and it did the trip right away - Didn't need 6 months off - dang it!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I started running with a BMI of 37.5 Shocked 10 months later a 3:09 marathon 15 months later BMI 29.0 and a 2:56 3 years later a BMI of 25.0 and 2:45 To answer - Groin and hip flexors cost me 6 months (Mostly - Ran a few miles in there) - Time off was worthless - I added weight training and stretching and it did the trip right away - Didn't need 6 months off - dang it!
          Very nice. My groin and hip flexors have been nagging me on longer runs since coming back from an SI joint injury. Those pains are getting better, but now I'm trying to stave off runner's knee.
          DoppleBock

Groin and hip felxors - I started with 3 exercise machines at the YMCA - One that is designed specifically for abducting and flexing the hips and one that I do knee raises with weights - Almost immediately the issue went away - Now I just makes sure I do these 2x a week. I am not sure what runners knee is? Is it onside or outside. If on the outside - I have on and off again issues with IT band - But thats a fairly easy one for me to fix - Get the foam roller out and add 2-3 stretches after each run. I used to suffer pretty bad with Achiilies tandon flares ups, but over time your achillies tendon keeps getting stonger and stronger and now - never have isues with it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !