10,000 miles at a time

5 years, 3 months & 11 days (Read 50 times)

Hi,

Just posted this story on a different forum, but as the "idea" came anyway from here .... ;-)

"In the Xmas period of 2006, the basket club where my kids play, organized a match between the parents of the players & the girlfriends of the trainers. 10 minutes in the game, with my legs burning & out of breath, I had to sit on the bench. While trying to get some air on my lungs, I witnessed the humiliating defeat of my team, and promised to myself, that such a thing wouldn’t happen again.

That day I realized that not being fat is not necessarily equal to being fit, and decided to do “something” about it.

The next day, surfing on the net, I found the website of coolrunning.com where they had an apparently simple “Start to Run” program, so I decided to give it a try, and started exactly on 31/12/2006….

The rest is history:

All started with 1 min running, 2 min walking, 1 running … (then I realized how long a minute can be), a few days per week, week after week and before I realized it was week 10 and I could run 30 min non-stop !!!!

Then I read that it was ok to increase the running volume 10% per week and so did I. Then the first 10k race came, then the first 15K, then the first HM and before I realized I had become “a runner”:

I’ve run with icycles on my brain, I’ve run with the melting asphalt sticking to the soles of my shoes.

I’ve run on a thunderstorm (just once … that scared the hell out of me), I’ve run on a mini-snowstorm (and that’s cool !!!)

I’ve had ITBS, I have “gout-triggered” arthrosis … but thanks God nothing that a good pair of Brooks can’t alleviate so far.

I’ve been chased by dogs in Belgium, Greece & Spain, definitely the wrong species in the wrong planet.

I’ve burned 20 pair of shoes (12 x Brooks,  4 x adidas, ….), 3 watches & 2 iPods.

I have probably enough T-shirts from races not to need to buy a new one for the rest of my life.

I’ve drunk hundreds of liter of Isostar … and I guess hundreds of beers as well (I live in Belgium, you know?).

I’ve had two landings on an iced road, one on grint and a pretty hard one on asphalt… and I moved on

When coolrunning.com sold its soul, I moved to runningahead.com (Thanks Eric!!)

I’ve moved from 65 kg … to 65 kg (I guess there wasn’t too much fat to burn anyway).

I’ve got a veeeery patient wife.

What back then would have been a superhuman achievement, today it’s just an easy 15K on a sunny Sunday morning

I’ve learnt about discipline, sacrifice and the amazing power of human will (I know, for something as trivial as running, but still ….)

I thank the Heavens every day for keeping me healthy enough to … RUN

I’ve experienced absolute happiness when I saw the Gates of Heaven disguissed in the Finish Line of my first Marathon.

I’ve experienced absolute exhaustion (take any of my Marathons around km 35-38).

I’ve experienced absolute boredom (ever tried 90 min on a treadmill?)

I’ve run 7 Marathons, the first 32 km with my legs, the final 10 with my Will.

I still have to figure out what’s “fun” about running Marathons, so I keep running them till I find “the” answer ;-)

I’ve WON one (short & local) race … and “lost” all others.

I’ve probably become faster than 99,9% of the population of this planet.

I don’t stretch, I don’t follow a training plan, I threw away my HR monitor after the first 2000 km. I just put my shoes on and RUN.

I used to train as a mean to reach the goal of a good race. Nowadays the race is the excuse, the training is the goal, or better, RUNNING is the goal.

I’ve learnt to enjoy the weather, ANY weather (except … thunderstorms!)

I’ve run in 30+ countries in 5 continents.

I’ve been running for 275 consecutive weeks, basically I haven’t stopped … since I started.

I’ve run 16.093 km

I HAVE RUN 10.000 MILES !!!"

….the dream goes on"

Anybody for 20.000? ;-)

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Old Running Guy!

Good job, great story.  Somewhat similar to mine.  I started running in January 1992 to become fitter to be a better squash player.  I stopped playing squash and concentrated on running. 

Since that time I have run 10 marathons and numerous other races.  Today I ran my normal 8 miles and topped 23,198 miles total since I started. 

On May 12th this year I will turn 70 and will be running a 25K race in Grand Rapids, Michigan on that day.  I am hoping to break 25,000 miles sometime early in 2013.

Thanks for the story, keep going and don't stop running.

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
      Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run