2024 Shamrock 1000 Mile Club

Runner's rules (Read 46 times)

I'm not normally a big fan of rules, but they're really more like suggestions.  If this guy has actually only been running 8 months, I'm guessing he found a running club and got some good advice.  Either that, or he's a pretty sharp guy.

A Runner's Rules

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

littlerunner

Thanks for posting this!  I needed to read some of these rules, they are good to remember. I just got back from Florida, and had a great time doing the Disney Half Marathon. The weather was soooooo perfect!  However, I'm not feeling so good about running here in the ice and snow. I am signed up for the 1/2 marathon in Manchester by the sea in February, and need help getting psyched for such a cold run. Suggestion? I almost wiped out on the ice the other day, and I got a bit of frost nip on my legs. Really need to wear more layers, but hate the bulk.. What do you think?

It hasn't actually been particularly cold of late, so it's hard to imagine frost nip on your legs unless you were running very early or it was pretty windy.

I generally wear as little gear as possible, if you have too much gear on you can wind up sweating too much and feel colder than you would with less.  I haven't worn anything but shorts for the past couple of weeks, but I don't generally run in the early morning hours.  If it is too cold for just shorts, I go with very lighweight tights under shorts, or loose fitting running pants over shorts.  As a rule of thumb, I want to feel slightly uncomfortably cold at the start because I know I'll be warming up once I get going.

I usually wear a form-fitting base layer tech shirt, and a loose fitting tech shirt over it.  Would have to be really cold or windy to go with more than that.

Ice is the worst, you have to be really careful because you can be on the ground in about a tenth of a second.  Sometimes catching yourself before falling is even worse, it's easy to pull muscles trying to keep from falling.  I don't like wearing spikes or Yak Trax though, so I just try to run routes past businesses (they tend to be afraid of people falling and salt and/or sand)

Be careful and keep at it, Groundhog Day is only a couple weeks away!

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

One other note, on a day like this you need mittens.  Not gloves, you need your fingers to keep each other company.

E.J.