Triskelion Arwen runners

JFK 50 Mile race for next year (Read 3 times)

meka

Check out this race.  It is the biggest, most popular 50 mile race in the country.  (1000 runners)

We all qualify already. I qualify by time and you guys qualify b/c of your military status.   It is expensive, I want to say $200 for the entry, but I am not sure.

I would consider doing this race if you guys wanted to.  It has a ton of history behind it.

The first 15 miles are on technical trail on the Appalachian Trail.  The rest is flat fast tow path along a river.  It is huge party as far a ultras go and we can invvite others to come crew us, by driving from station to station to cheer and give us what we need.

http://www.jfk50mile.org/Registration/Default.aspx

maverick86

I'm ready for anything coach!!! Lets do it!!! Just one foot in front of the other!!! Haha

jamato58

Sounds good.. let's do it.

meka

ok.  The race is about 5 miles road, 10.5 miles of rocky root difficult Appalachian Trail (AT), then 26.5 miles of flat, fast tow path, then 8 more miles of rolling road hills.  The AT is the hardest part of the race, besides the flat monotony of the two path.

We will have to train hills and find some rocky stuff to practice footing.  I suck on rocks and will likely break my face, but whatever... I don't run on my face, so I should be able to finish. Smile

We dont need to worry about this until April, but know that it cost $200 to enter which doesnt include hotel, travel, etc costs so a trip like this can be expensive.

There is also a smaller cheaper ($35) alternative in MD the week before that is a 50 mile trail race as well.  We can decide close to to April about which is the better choice for all of us.  Stone Mill is a nice race but it is small and does not have the military history.  JFK is the largest ultra in the country at over 1000 runners, but the cost is extreme.