Trailer Trash

Holiday Monday (Read 15 times)

runtraildc

Happy Holiday (for those that get the day off. The retirees here-- it's just another Monday).  Chowder and I got i about 5 miles hiking yesterday along the Bay. Sunny and just all around beautiful day. DH and I might go kayaking in a bit. and I will hopefully get in a short jog at some point.

qotd: Favorite President and/or presidential memory? Not just asking because the holiday, but also because of the news that Jimmy Carter has started hospice. He's the first president I remember being elected (we had a  mock election at the school) and he's one of my favorites because of his post-presidential work as a humanitarian. My mom also kept showing me pictures of Amy Carter in the news back then as an example of a respectable, young girl who wore dresses and tights (I hated both).

LB2

5 miles, easy this morning. I am scaling things back a little more this week, or not. I have already gone beyond my mileage goal for the month of February leading up to this race. I was going to try to dog it off at 150 or so, but it looks like will be between 175 and 180, which is fine. Things feel pretty good, and I am not totally going crazy.

QOTD: Teddy Roosevelt is my favorite for what he did for conservation. As far presidential moments, I would have to say there are many of those, but they all center around presidential debates, mostly George W. Bush and Trump moments that I found as funny as any stand up act I have ever seen. I remember people expressing embarrassment, even horror, at some of the things both of them said during debates, but I thought they were funny, still do.

As far as what someone has done post-presidency, I don't think anyone comes close to what Jimmy Carter has accomplished. I think he may be the most decent human being who has ever held the office.

LB2

Sandy-2

Got out very early and did 15 miles.  It was warm and muggy.  Yuk.  We're going up to the low 80s later today.

qotd: one memory we have is of our young son shaking then ex-president George H.W. Bush's hand when we bumped into him at a local Houston furniture store. It was during the holiday season and we were told that Bush Sr. was there buying two recliners that he was donating to a local homeless shelter. It was in Mattress Mack's store, you may have heard of the guy . . . . . 

tbd.

NorthernHarrier

7 trail miles this morning on an absolute stellar day. Then spent a couple hours sitting on the beach mesmerized by the surf rolling in. Life is good.

runtrail--couple things, 1st they moved the CDC lottery to Mar. 1 entering but after further thought I'm gonna skip trying this year. The race would be Oct 13th and while cool to be out there for the eclipse on the 14th I'm just thinking it's not gonna work for me. 2nd- finally pulling the trigger on springer #6. Looks like we'll pick him up the day after we get back around Mar. 1st.

QOTD--yeah the Carters have been amazing people since "retiring".

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Easy 4.2 miles recovery run after yesterdays 8.8 miles.

Sometimes I have to be reminded when it's a holiday. Often I realize that when I check my mailbox and there's nothing in it, not even junk mail.

Nothing like 80F here, but I heard a couple days ago that our average February temperature this year is about 8 degrees above normal.

QOTD:  My earliest memory of presidential elections is the I Like Ike buttons from the 1956 election.  I got to see Nixon speak at a rally in 1960.  Oddly we had a mock election in 8th grade social studies that year, but we had Nixon running against Johnson, not Kennedy. I grew up in a solidly Republican Chicago suburb and there was a lot of concern in the 1960 election because Kennedy was Catholic and people feared his politics would be influenced by the Catholic Church and the Pope.  Strange turnabout with fears now that politics is being influenced by conservative evangelicals.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

Holy crap/Congratulations! Puppy or adult? Of course, we (at least XT and me) expect those springer photos asap. We met a bench yesterday on a neighborhood walk. Still not common here, but we know a couple. This guy was a 6 month, bench and almost as big as Chowder (and a lot mellower). Chowder's mostly a field in all ways springer. 

runtrail--couple things, 1st they moved the CDC lottery to Mar. 1 entering but after further thought I'm gonna skip trying this year. The race would be Oct 13th and while cool to be out there for the eclipse on the 14th I'm just thinking it's not gonna work for me. 2nd- finally pulling the trigger on springer #6. Looks like we'll pick him up the day after we get back around Mar. 1st.

QOTD--yeah the Carters have been amazing people since "retiring".