Trailer Trash

Whacky Wednesday (Read 21 times)

XtremeTaper

Yesterday, ran midday up at the local trail. Gave the Lady the day off from running so I made it a Tuesday tempo day. Ran fairly well, breaking 50 minutes regularly now on this ~ 6 mile route. I had a crack at breaking 49 minutes but was battling a mild side stitch the last 10 minutes and came up 14 seconds short, er I mean long. I took the Lady out for a 2 mile walk around the hood after work and then went to the local golf course (right next door) and shagged some balls on the practice range to get a feel for my new irons. Those clubs work great when I swing well.

Today, I think there is chance of spotty storms, but the plan is for 5-6 miles after work.

QOTD: Do you think social media has any impact on running and is it good or bad or not important?

I mostly asked this as I was talking to my buddy last week about MMT. It seems 10-12 years ago you could go to their website and find all kinds of race reports, photos, etc. I was checking the site last week to look for results from this year' race and they were not even posted yet. I've noticed in recent years there have been fewer and fewer race reports posted to that site, I suppose as people posted to their own facebook or personal sites/blogs. I am sort of indifferent I suppose to the impact of social media but it was an observation I had.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Hump Day!    Taper mode, so I think I'm skipping my lunch time run in favor of a trip to Wal-Mart. I'd rather be running than go to Wal-Mart, but need to pick up some things for our trip.

Snow at Mt Hood this weekend and then warming up.  Race should be snow free.

Hit with a bad Lyme day yesterday. Sore neck, no energy, had night sweats Monday evening, all my usual symptoms. Get a really bad day every 1-2 weeks, so hopefully that means no bad days until after our race.

QOTD:  I think maybe social media make some people accountable to get out and run.  If you need extra motivation, maybe it's good for you.  The only FB running group I follow is George's "Running Against Time".  Lots of great info there and links to follow fixed timed races.  Now the bad side if the attention seekers. The guys posting their Strava data for every single run and the guys who cheat at races to get attention, like look how good I am (1 guess).  As a side, I don't consider this social media, but some might. Also I know most of us are introverted runners not seeking attention.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Going top roping at the climbing gym tonight with one of my friends from high school.  She's climbed a little before, but mostly she just likes to complain about being fat and out of shape and then gets down on herself because she can't do the things I can do.  I try my best to build her up and encourage her.  I'm trying to get her to join the gym.  It would be nice to have a semi-steady climbing partner, although she doesn't like bouldering because it's "too hard."  But at least I can always boulder alone.

QOTD: I think social media has been bad for a lot of things.  It's definitely cut down on this little corner of the internet.  Maybe I'm just officially old and cranky now.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

another heat training session yesterday for Tiny E and I, 5 miles in the low 80's (not 70's as some would think! )

low 80's today, will get out for 4-5 miles after work- 70's on Thursday and dropping into the 50's Friday/Saturday- is wrong to wish for snow in the Summer Smile

qotd: obviously races have got more crowded and harder to get into w/ the advent of social media; I often find a good race report helpful when signing up for a new race, but admittedly rarely read race reports outside of this forum

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

Did 4 on the TM last night, will do 4 tonight and then 4 on Thur and 4 on Sat then 8 Sun.  It'll be a cut back week and I sort of need it.  For some reason my back is hurting some when I first go to sit down through my lower back near my hips.  Another massage on Sat should help as she's doing cupping on that area.  She did it last Sat and holy hell it hurt.  But I felt better after.

Mandy climbing sounds kind of fun and I wish we had a set up here.

I'm so envious of you all with trails nearby   Although at this point I'd be happy if the nearby park with it's 1 mile asphalt loop was not still flooded so I could practice for Lhotse.  If nothing else the 50k at UrbanICT should help tremendously.

qotd: Good and bad in that I think social media, and I'm only familiar with here and FB contributes to FOMO, at least for me.  I've gotten way better this year about not wanting to sign up for everything I see and in comparing myself, mostly negatively to others.  I love reading race reports and it sucks when I can't find any for something I'm considering.  Since I don't have a trail or ultra community nearby I rely on what I can find online to help.

That said I get real tired with the watch face selfies and the other selfies.  I'm definitely in the introverted category in that I hate posting "look at me and what I did".  I rarely even discuss it at work, only if someone asks and then they tell me I'm crazy 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy climbing sounds kind of fun and I wish we had a set up here.

It's super fun and addicting.  If you're ever in the situation to try it, definitely give it go!

Running is dumb.

LB2

I walked outside to rain this morning, and I went back in and poured another cup of coffee and finished watching "The DaVinci Code" again. I saw it years ago, but I was only halfway paying attention. I also read the book when it first came out. I may run after work, but it is highly likely that I take a rest day.

QOTD: I think it has had a major impact on everything in our lives. The best thing about it is that it is a way to stay in touch with people. The worst thing about it, to me, is that it opens up the door to a host of bogus information. I think that spills over into everything that we consume as far as information, like news. We seem to be losing our understanding of context, but maybe that is because we just refuse to acknowledge context unless it suits our already preconceived ideas about a subject, person, or event. I think all that makes our society dumber, if you can imagine our society being any dumber than it already is.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Here is a picture from the course that Sue, Jess and I are running next week. Mt. Hood looks beautiful.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got out for a "speedy" 2 last night.

We have a couple of indoor rock climbing gyms here and I have thought about getting the kids out to try it.  They would enjoy the low bouldering stuff - probably not the big climbs.  Maybe we'll try it this summer.

QOTD: I have been following a ton of runners on IG.  I find the pictures and the short descriptions to be better than reading super long race reports.  There has been a shift in posting RRs and such but not sure it is a bad thing.  You just have to know where to find the same information.

Have a great hump day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

We expect lots of fun pictures!

Here is a picture from the course that Sue, Jess and I are running next week. Mt. Hood looks beautiful.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

No run yet. And in full disclosure, I did not run yesterday as I said I would.  I'm finally feeling much better, almost human, so I will run. It will happen, if only for a few miles.

qotd: I don't really have an opinion.  I follow some stuff, but I'm not usually actively looking for RRs. I get those that I'm interested in reading here, but because it is someone i 'know' rather than an unknown on FB or IG.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

7 muggy miles...guess our ground is so saturated it might be muggy for awhile.

Qotd: I think it does...I think it makes more people want to run.  There’s more information out there to answer your questions.  We use FB to schedule regular runs and they are opened to anyone.  I hear about races I didn’t even know about before. That makes it a good thing....what makes it bad is that people are finding out about our secret sweet spots!

LB:  You have a streak going....you better run afterwork!  It’s gotta be a warm rain down in Louisiana.

Jamie: Whats IG?

duffman: What’s FOMO?

Mandy:  I get tired of people putting themselves down.  I always feel like they are digging for a compliment and the asshole that I am refuses to give it to them on command.  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I’ll take pictures.....Tim will probably be more focused on the “race”.

but than I’ll have to figure out how to post pictures on RA using the iPad...

We expect lots of fun pictures!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Have you tried responding to those comments by 'I'm sorry to hear that' or 'That's too bad'?

For example:

Them: I'm so fat/skinny/ugly/short/tall/slow/ fast or whatever

You: Oh, that's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that.

Might help break that bad habit, on their part 

Mandy:  I get tired of people putting themselves down.  I always feel like they are digging for a compliment and the asshole that I am refuses to give it to them on command.  

dhuffman63

Trails

Sue, FOMO is Fear Of Missing Out.  When you see people post lots of beautiful trail and you want to go do them but then you find you've spent 100k on races and equipment plus travel

IG is Instagram

I like the "I'm sorry to hear that"