Trailer Trash

Thursday D-Daily (Read 21 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Easy run planned in a few minutes. Waiting for the rain to stop. Radar says this is the last storm passing by.  Trails will be wet, so I plan on an easy pace. All about avoiding injury now.

QOTD:  75th anniversary of the Normandy Landings.  Any relatives or did you ever meet someone who participated at D-Day, or know of anyone who died during the landings?

My Great Uncle, James Murphy (Uncle Murph) was a in the Navy and was a gunners mate during the landings.  He didn't like to talk about it but was proud of being part of the liberation.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Warm last night for the Lady so we ended up with a 4 mile jog/hike up at Coventry Woods. Makes me sad to see her struggling out there. She wants to go every day but just does not handle the heat well anymore. I need to plan more walks with her over the summer I suppose. I almost feel mean dragging her along but we cut it short last night and stopped at some nice spring fed creeks for her to cool down.

Not sure of running plans today. Gym day at lunch, perhaps a road run after work as I also need to mow again.

QOTD: No immediate family or relatives at D-Day that I am aware of. I am sure I've met some veterans in the past that participated somewhere in life. God bless them.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I woke up when the lights went out at 4:25 this morning. They came back on around 5:30, probably out again by now because I saw where a huge oak tree fell across the lines near the house. I am pretty sure it was on our feed and must have happened between the time I left my driveway and got to that point. Anyway, no run this morning, but I may get out after work like I did last night, which was a great run.

QOTD: An old friend of my uncle's was in the US Navy during D-Day. He was directly involved in the invasion, but I don't know what he did. When I was a kid, I used to ask him about it, but he never said too much that I remember. Odom Campbell was his name. That guy used to be asleep at 7PM and up at 2AM every day. I remember that. After I got out of the Marines and was in college, I went home one weekend, and we all went deer hunting, with dogs. I was sort of on the end of the line, and after the dogs ran a doe and a yearling past me, we started catching dogs. We got back to my uncle's house and Odom was not there. He was up near where the dogs were first turned loose, not far from the house and should have been back long before we were. We found him unresponsive next to a tree, gun across his lap and staring into space but still alive. He had had a stroke. We got an ambulance out there and got him out of the woods on a stretcher, but he never fully recovered from that. Years before, my aunt and uncle had taken him in because he had no family. He was always around because they lived across the road. My brother and I were pretty mischievous kids and were trying to get our grandma's geese to chase us. I don't remember what we did, but it caused Odom to break a green switch and threaten to hit us with it. We ran away and told him we were going to tell our dad. That was a mistake. We ended up getting our dad's belt instead of Odom's switch. From that point on, we obeyed Odom and left those geese alone. We got a little lesson on D-Day that day from my dad, too. No matter what role he played in that mission he was involved in what I consider one of the most important events in world history.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I thought of you guys last night about how we all collectively hate complainers.    I've forgotten what normal people are like.  I had a nice time climbing with my friend, but good lord.  She just complains about being fat and not being in shape.  She complained that she could only run 1.5 miles before she had to stop.  (I told her to slow the fuck down and start taking walk breaks.  Then she says she hates running.  Okay, so don't run?)  She complains that while she likes climbing, it's too hard and that she doesn't want to join the gym because she's not good enough.  (How do you think you'll get better??  I couldn't finish V0s the easiest boulders in the gym when I started.)  She complained that she couldn't afford to join the gym, yet she's an NP and makes probably double what I make.  (But she has a big house and an SUV and just went to Europe.)   I like her, but yeesh.

Anyway, climbed last night.  Will go for a neighborhood walk tonight.  Hip is maybe calming down a little?  It's hard to tell after only 5 days. 

QOTD:  Nope, but great photo, AT!  I think I can see a resemblance. 

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

Left Madison yesterday at 83F, hot and muggy. Got up here and the temp was a nice and cool 64F. Perfect except for the huge amount of mosquitoes. I'll be slathering on the deet as I try to get things done. Water levels have dropped just enough to finally put my piers in. Deer fawns will have just been or about to be dropped so I'll have to put in extra effort keeping these dogs under control around here.  This will be a day off from running but I'll get about 10-12 miles in later mountain biking.

QOTD--No personal contacts for me though my next door neighbor up here who is 91 or 92 now did some pretty crazy things in the Pacific. Damn awesome and brave folks back then. Can't begin to imagine what that must have been like.

Quick story--Another old buddy from my fly-in canadien fishing trips I used to do was in the South Pacific during the evacuation of the Phillipines. He's on the ship as the citizens are trying to also board to evacuate and one guy was climbing the rope on the side to get on. My old buddy was standing there when a commanding officer came up to him and told him to shoot that man. Hank told him he would just throw him overboard once he got on but the officer pulled out his sidearm, stuck the barrel up to Hanks forehead and told him either he shoots that man or he'll be shot. I said "holy shit Hank, what did you do?". He just smiled at me and winked and said "I'm still here". War sucks.

XtremeTaper

Oh my Mandy. Bless you for putting up with that. Someone needs to listen to this song.

Perhaps not your genre, but perhaps suggest she listen to  Kings X Complain.

Small kid begging for a crumb of bread
              Next kid bloated lying nearly dead
              I wonder what to take for my aching head
              I complain

Lots of people crying for a little rain
              Whole nation learning how to live with pain
              I don't know how I'm gonna clean this little stain
              I complain

Complain so much easier

etc.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I’m going to walk the dogs today...still sore from Sunday’s run....not complaining just a fact that surprises me.  Maybe we shouldn’t have done that run so close to our race.  Than Yoga ...

so our agent said an offer is being written fir the house  the buyers must buy soon or pay taxes on the profit of the house they sold.  My first thought was, can I still do WyEast.  Seems their plans are to rent it, so we may rent it back for awhile.  This is all up in the air at this point so unsure why I even mentioned it. 

qotd: nope.  But I find war very sad.  Especially when the soldiers were drafting...giving them no choice in the matter.  As in NH story; kill or be killed.  

AT:  your uncle does look like a friendly guy and I also see resemblance.

XT:  it’s so hard to what’s best for them when all they want to do is run with you.  Yesterdays run Jack was lagging behind and he actually got lost for a few minutes.  Funny thing, when I am doing a long run where neither dog can come, Earl reads my mind and knows he’s not coming.  He just shoots me dirty looks.  Jacki is so simple minded that I practically shut the door on his nose because he thinks he’s coming.

LB: Becoming a night runner?

Mandy: It’s ok that you don’t run but......when you start using climbing terms (“I couldn't finish VOs when I started&rdquoWink your on the wrong forum! 

NH:  Maybe you need to wear out all those pups instead of MT biking so they leave the fawns alone.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

LB: Becoming a night runner?

It was dusk when I finished. Most of my runs are with a headlamp, so I am actually becoming a day runner. I like early mornings when I turn my light off toward the end of the run.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

so our agent said an offer is being written fir the house  the buyers must buy soon or pay taxes on the profit of the house they sold.  My first thought was, can I still do WyEast.  Seems their plans are to rent it, so we may rent it back for awhile.  This is all up in the air at this point so unsure why I even mentioned it. 

Mandy: It’s ok that you don’t run but......when you start using climbing terms (“I couldn't finish VOs when I started&rdquoWink your on the wrong forum! 

I fixed my post for you, Sue. 

Housing situation sounds great, actually!  Sell the house, then rent it until you're ready to actually move.  That's what's great about renting - it's easy to leave!

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Will run tonight - something short I am sure.  Kids finished school yesterday so we transition to a summer schedule.  Weather wise it feels like summer but it feels like the kids should still be going to school.  But next school year will be here before we know it.

Queen - I hope that works out for you.

QOTD: Both my grandfather and DW's grandfather were in WWII.  Both were injured during the war.  But I do not know if they were a part of D-Day or not.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Bert-o

I lost my rama

QOTD:  Don't know of anyone in my family who participated in D-Day.  Bless all those who did!  My (adoptive) father joined the Army right after that.  His father was in WWI.  So I guess he was lucky and missed the window.

AT - So that's what you look like in real life, from your great uncle's photo?  Guessing from what others have said from the resemblance.  And I'm confident that you will be fine during taper time.

XT - Yeah, it's muggy season now.  Hope Lady will adjust.  We all need to acclimate this time of year.

LB2 - Hope the power gets fixed soon.  Sucks, but I'm sure you're well prepared for the situation.

Mandy - Good Lord!  I have no idea what to say about your friend.  You are the complete opposite - can't catch a break with your hip, but you somehow find a way to get out and do something physically active instead of making all the excuses not to.  I'd record what she says and play it back to her so she can hear what she sounds like (rhetorical suggestion of course).  In any case, I wouldn't know what do to around her, but I hope she can hear herself someday.  And yes, I know what a V0 is (or for non-climbers, a vee-zero).  I wouldn't have edited it for Sue's sake. 

NH - That's a crazy story, but in those situations it's live or not live.  And those are wild temp swings between Madison and your cabin.  Nice that you can get that relief though!

Sue - Hope you get over the soreness, and I hope it's a "good" sore, as in you earned it!  Interesting situation you have with selling your house.  I'm sure you'll figure out the best option.  Every market is a tad bit different, but I hope the best for you!

Dr J - Hope the kids enjoy the summer!  Of course, you too.  I haven't heard any complaints about your back, so I'm taking that as a very good sign.

It's pretty muggy here today, but I plan on getting 5 or 6 on trail tonight.  My son Dima is graduating from high school tomorrow (probably not many of you knew I have a son) so DW and I will be heading up to Rhode Island tomorrow morning.  He will be attending Northeastern University in Boston this fall in the Bioengineering program.  I'm very proud of him except of all the schools he's been accepted in, he had to choose the most expensive one.   I told him that I'd pay for the cost of his undergrad, but if he chooses to go to graduate school, then it's all on him.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - Good Lord!  I have no idea what to say about your friend.  You are the complete opposite - can't catch a break with your hip, but you somehow find a way to get out and do something physically active instead of making all the excuses not to.  I'd record what she says and play it back to her so she can hear what she sounds like (rhetorical suggestion of course).  In any case, I wouldn't know what do to around her, but I hope she can hear herself someday.  And yes, I know what a V0 is (or for non-climbers, a vee-zero).  I wouldn't have edited it for Sue's sake. 

It's pretty muggy here today, but I plan on getting 5 or 6 on trail tonight.  My son Dima is graduating from high school tomorrow (probably not many of you knew I have a son) so DW and I will be heading up to Rhode Island tomorrow morning.  He will be attending Northeastern University in Boston this fall in the Bioengineering program.  I'm very proud of him except of all the schools he's been accepted in, he had to choose the most expensive one.   I told him that I'd pay for the cost of his undergrad, but if he chooses to go to graduate school, then it's all on him.

Well, I'm sure I do my fair share of complaining too, but it frustrates me when someone with a working body complains.  Like, dude, you're healthy.  Get out there!

I did not know you have a son.  Congrats to Dima on his graduation and starting college for bioengineering.  Very cool!  Smile

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

All those hours I ran/slogged with you at SM50 and I had no clue you have a son.  Guess I didn't ask.    Anyways, congrats.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

My second can of Monster seems to be kicking in so I might just go for a run on the paved rail trail in Michigan. We went to Clare to see DW's sister. Rather short trip. Really nice day here. Hoping to get in 4-6 miles.

LB2 - Really cool story.

Mandy - People.........................hmmmm..........................people irritate me.  Putting up with that would give me a heart attack.

Bert-o - Congrats on the kiddo graduating.  I remember you mentioning him before and him wanting to do something medical related.

QOTD:  Had a uncle through marriage. He and a close relative, a half brother I believe, both were drafted about the same time.  The other guy went to the European theatre and my uncle to the Pacific.  My uncle got some time in on Okinawa doing mop up duty and was preparing to be in one of the first waves to go into Japan.  The other guy we all knew had been in a good bit of combat in Europe but we didn't know a lot of details.  Then I was working with a guy that was in the Army Guard and was deployed to Afghanistan back during the days of heavier combat. He happened to go to the same church that  my uncles half brother did and through him we found out that he was one of the first out of his landing craft going onto Omaha beach.  My dad had talked with him quite a bit about their military experiences and he never mentioned that.

I find it interesting how some of those guys talked quite a bit about what they did and others wouldn't talk hardly at all.

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi this morning with 2 folks that I usually meet at these meetings in London.  One is my Croatian friend and one is my Norwegian friend.  A nice little jaunt along the Thames.

qotd. Nope.  But just FYI, as you can imagine there were all sorts of commemorative stuff on the tube here.

tbd.