Trailer Trash

Tangled Tuesday (Read 22 times)

LB2

I ran a couple this morning early. I ran into a freaking spider web!! I hate the spider webs, but there doesn't seem to be as many of them as there was in years past. I don't even seen the same number of spider eyes on the ground in the woods that I did the last few years.

QOTD: Do you pick up garbage on your runs?

Yes. This morning I picked up a broken Old Charter bottle where my gravel road meets the highway.

LB2

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning all!

LB2..Running into spider webs really is the worst. I try to always make someone go in front of me on early trail mornings haha. I always run with a hat, so at least that keeps a good number out of the face.

Sorry for taking a couple days to get in here! Sunday was a wash, and then yesterday I was just lazy haha.

Anyway, managed to run Burning River 100 in 23:36 (so about a 5hr 20min PR). The race went south a little more than I would have liked, but I kept it rolling as best I could. I'll try to piece together the events in my head enough to put together a RR at some point down the road.

Feeling pretty good, aside from some pain in my right calf. It felt on the verge of tearing during the last part of the race, so that really held me back. It's doing better today though, so I'm hopeful that I didn't do any damage.

I managed to keep run streak alive for the year by getting out for 2.5 yesterday. They were faster than ultra pace, so I guess that's a win. I'll definitely be staying on the flat lands as much as possible for a bit. Hoping for 3 miles tonight.

QOTD:  I'm more likely to pick things up on the trail than I am on the road...I hate gel packets on the trail, so I almost always grab those when I can.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Birdwell

Morning!

Today is going to a pool day with sets down the water slides and laps in the lazy river all while entertaining my 7 year old daughter on her "dad day".

I'm on team #norunningallowed for a little while longer due to an ACL/Meniscus tear and subsequent surgery (now 9 weeks post op)

QOTD: Sometimes, though not always (which is precisely what sometimes means, I guess). I'm likely to do it on remote trails in pristine areas. Stuff on the town multi use path, not so much.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A bit over 5 last night in the hood.  I misplaced my headlamp and my other two decent flashlights went with my younger two kids to camp this week.  So I had to break out a pen light type of thing and well...it wasn't so bright.  So mostly running in the dark and by memory.  Much of our neighborhood does not have street lights.

bridwell - good to see you back.  Keep posting.  Running is overrated anyways.

SIAR - woah! nice job.  To get sub 24 AND feel you could have done better is a really good thing.  Congrats. And yes, you have to write up a RR now.  Just make sure you don't wait a year to post it!

QOTD: Depends on where I am.  I have many times. But I have been on some trails where I knew they did regular or semi regular trail clean up.

QOTD2: What's the grossest piece of trash you have come upon on the trail?

A used condemn.  

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Heading out for 5-6 on the AT.  This a down week for me and today I only need a few miles to get over 200 for the month.  Feels good to be able to get back to where I used to be distance wise. Pace is still off, but hopefully that will improve some.  I get fatigued about once a week now (big improvement), and I'm able to string together a few good runs in a row, so FU Lyme.

LB - I break webs almost every run, unless I'm on the AT after hikers have been up and moving. I'll run with a light stick in my hand to break them so I don't run through them with my face.  How big are your spiders that you can see their eyes. 

SIaR - congrats on the huge PR.  Hope calf turns around quickly.

Bird - Is your 7 yo the same one who wore the helmet?  Enjoy your Daddy day.  Never had ACL, but did I heal well from meniscus surgery years ago.  Come back slow when the doc gives you the OK.

Jamie - time to by more lights. I'm embarrassed to say we have at least 12 running lights (between headlamps, knuckle and hand held).

GC (yesterday) - That hill you mentioned on the AT is a tough one. 440' in 1/2 mile.  I's usually heading from Mt Road to Whiskey on my way out and have to hit that hill on the way back.

QOTD:  Don't see too muck, but will pick up things I see.  Most seems to be dropped accidentally by hikers or MTB'ers.  I see more dropped clothing items like hats and a glove, and usually pick them up and place them on a rock near a trail head.

QOTD 2:  Bent over to pick up a glove, and at then smelled it. Almost a disaster.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Posted the BUS 6-Hour Pajama Romp Race Report from the weekend.  Planning on easy 7 on trail tonight.

SIAR - Congrats!!!  Way to get under that 24 hour mark and huge PR.  Looking forward to the RR.  Did you run into another runner who finished around you named Sarah?  She was in the Forbidden Forest 30 Hour race I did 4 weeks prior.  She got over 100 in that race.

Birdwell - Have fun with your daughter!  Don't be a stranger.

Dr Jamie - Sorry, but I had to laugh at running with a pen light.  Hope you find the headlamps and other flashlights.

AT - Nice month!  Glad you're getting over that Lyme.... it's been a long road.

QOTD:  I usually don't encounter trash on trails, but if it's an eye sore or something that will last for 10,000 years, I'll pick it up.

QOTD2:  Yeah, I saw a used condom as well, but didn't pick it up.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

Anyway, managed to run Burning River 100 in 23:36 (so about a 5hr 20min PR). The race went south a little more than I would have liked, but I kept it rolling as best I could. I'll try to piece together the events in my head enough to put together a RR at some point down the road.

Congratulations on the PR. That has me thinking about another long one.

LB2

LB2

LB - I break webs almost every run, unless I'm on the AT after hikers have been up and moving. I'll run with a light stick in my hand to break them so I don't run through them with my face.  How big are your spiders that you can see their eyes. 

Some are big and some are small. I just see their eyes as they reflect in the light of my headlamp.

LB2

LB2

QOTD 2: Same as AT except no glove. In fact, I actually saw that guy taking a crap in the middle of the trail as I ran up the hill. This was on private land that was/is owned by my sister in law. The guy was facing the other way, so I cannot describe his face, "butt" it all worked out. I just changed my route for a few days and the rain took care of it. No idea who the guy was. He came in off the highway. We quickly put up a fence with a gate.

I did not confront the guy because, even though he was trespassing, I am just not going to confront someone in that situation. I figured the guy had enough problems without me surprising him in the middle of that. I just looped around on another trail and back out to the gravel road.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes, I was laughing at myself - wondering what in the world I was thinking.  Not much light at all.  

Dr Jamie - Sorry, but I had to laugh at running with a pen light.  Hope you find the headlamps and other flashlights.

But as AT said, maybe it's an opportunity to find a new headlamp.  And once I have the new headlamp, my old one will pop up.  That's how it works, right?!?

Any suggestions on headlamps? I was thinking petzl.  I would like to do smaller/lighter as my current (lost) one is a black diamond.  It's a bit bulky.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

way to go SIAR!

birdwell- welcome back Smile

5 miles on the trails with Tiny yesterday evening- hot, but with the low humidity and some shade- tolerable; something similar this evening

qotd: not a lot of trash thankfully; if it’s small and I can grab it I do

qotd2: not the grossest, but my personal pet peeve- people who bag up their dog’s shit and leave the f&cking bag!  WTF?  let your dog just shit if you’re not going to retrieve the bag!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

AT- it was my now 4 year old son who had surgery and got the helmet.

I’m trying to get back into some healthy routines so I’m hoping to be around a bit more.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Birdwell...Have fun at the pool! I could use one today

Dr. J..I'll do my best to get one out sub-12 months. I think I'm suffering a bit of ultra amnesia at the moment, so we'll see what I can piece together eventually. Bummer about the light. Have you seen the new Petzl that's either out or coming out? It basically has a bungee cord, as opposed to the larger band they use now. I have trouble with the band giving me a headache when it's tight enough to keep the light from bouncing, so I think the little bungee cord would be great.

AT...Congrats on the strong month. I hadn't heard that you were fighting lyme - I'm sorry! I was just talking to a girl yesterday about that and she said the worst part for her was how it impaired her cognitively.

Berto...enjoy the evening miles. Your RR was strong! haha I'm trying to find a picture of the girl you mentioned, but can't seem to. I didn't catch many names out there, and really only talked to a few folks other than my pacers. You'd think that I would have seen her though since we finished within a couple spots of each other.

LB2...As soon as you starting thinking about it, it's a done deal that you'll be running one (or such has been my experience)

Mtwarden...thank you - glad you're getting some tolerable running weather here of late. I'm with you on the poop in a bag...quite dumb.

Not QOTD worthy, but just curious as to your opinions...had a fellah running the 100 the other day in a shark costume, and found it incredibly irritating. I'm not sure why; maybe it was just that I was in an oddly foul mood (not to be confused with a fowl mood) for the first portion of the race? But seriously, isn't running 100 miles enough of a stunt on its own? I passed him early enough that I didn't have to think about it for too terribly long (like 20 miles), but it still bothered me. It's almost like it belittles others' accomplishments...like oh, you finished your 100 miler just under the cut-off? Well, I did that and did it in a shark costume! Okay, clearly I gave this too much thought.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Sandy-2

Got up at 5am and did 5 mi this morning.  Another perfect running weather morning, 84 deg and 95% humidity.

LB2 – any banana spiders? Those are the best.

SIAR – Nice job on the 100!!!  Looking forward to the RR. (By the way Dr.J’s comment about taking a year to do the RR…. he’s referring to my forum-leading lag time.… )

Birdwell – nice to hear from you again.  Hang in there with the knee.

Dr. J – I can relate, my hydro-pak bladder is headed to Mongolia with my DD.  I like the new 300 lumin BD Spot, although I didn’t use it in my night run…… because….  one of my kids was using it.   The things parents do.

AT – Great mileage, and while battling Lymes.

Bert-o – nice job on the Pajama Romp, by the way I went to school on the other side of the Throgs Neck Bridge, Ft. Schuyler.

mt – please send some of that dry air down this way.

qotd 1: Similar to Birdwell, I’ll pick up stuff if on lonely deserted trails but closer to town where there are more litterers I don’t do that.

qotd 2: used tissues/paper with brown stuff on it. Don’t go near that, but….  come-on bury that stuff.

tbd.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Any suggestions on headlamps? I was thinking petzl.  I would like to do smaller/lighter as my current (lost) one is a black diamond.  It's a bit bulky.

I picked up a couple of BD Spot's this year based on warden's recommendation.  Apparently, you need to occasionally replace the batteries in them.  Humph!   Otherwise, no complaints.

SIAR - Here is her Strava link.  https://www.strava.com/athletes/5532226  I just thought of her because she came in around the same time, and I remember how strong she was at Forbidden Forest (3rd OA), so I have a reference for you. 

Sandy - Wow, small world right?  Hope our paths cross someday so we can share a beer.  And thanks.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours