Trailer Trash

Wonderland Trail trip report (Read 14 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

The Wonderland Trail is a 100 mile loop that circumnavigates around Mount Rainier.  It has a bit of climbing (and descending) too, to the tune of about 26,000'.  Most folks take 8-10 days to complete the loop.  Tom and I were pressed for time and a full day driving on either end didn't help, so we thought we would try to complete in four days.

We arrived at White River campground Monday evening to a lot of smoke (and had driven through a lot of smoke getting there), not the welcome we were looking for.  But, Tuesday morning we woke to clear skis and started our first of many steep ascents, the steep climb was paid with some great views high.

We made pretty good time and ate lunch at Mystic Lake about 12 miles in.  We had a long descent down to the Carbon Glacier and Carbon River.  The Carbon River was cross via a suspension bridge; had never been on one and was surprised how much bouncing and swaying there was crossing it- yikes!

We has some tough climbs, but none would compare to the climb up to Spray Park (6 miles straight of climbing that never let up!  Again rewarded with some nice views AND supper! Smile

We dropped over the top and a few miles we hit our first camp, Eagle's Roost- we were late enough that shelters were set up with headlamps. 25 miles and 7200' of gain made for a pretty long day.

Day two we were up early and hit the trail by 6:00.  A long drop into the Mowich drainage crossing both the North and South Mowich Rivers.  We got word from a ranger we met the day before that the bridge for the South River was out and to follow flagging to a downed tree and use that to cross.

North

South

A recurring theme, we now had a steep climb up to the Golden Lakes area.  We ate lunch at a patrol cabin that was getting a face lift.

After a bit more of climbing, we had a long descent through some really nice old growth PNW forest- big trees, moist, lots of moss, fungi, etc

What goes down, most go up- so that's what we did, heading for Klapatche Park.  Unfortunately some of the smoke had returned and partly spoiled what would be an incredible shot of Mount Rainier.

It was nice getting into camp with a little light; 22 miles and 6300' for the day.

Day three we were once again up early and on the trail a little after 6:00.  Lots of blueberries and huckleberries up high and we helped ourselves along the way, as did a large black bear doing the same thing Smile. We dropped hard, only to climb hard again.  Got into a really neat area at the lower end of the Tahoma Glacier.  Saw several content mountain goats bedded well above us.  Tom taking in the views.

No sooner had we left this area we dropped hard again (and then climbed again Smile).  Another patrol cabin, this one in the Indian Henry area

We ate a big lunch and were rewarded with a long descent and even a little somewhat level ground.  Eventually it lead us to Longmire, kind of the center of the park.  We met another ranger and he was able to switch our last night camp site from one that was off the Wonderland Trail to one that was one, this would save us about 3 miles- we were much appreciative.

The terrain became gentler and he were making good time.  We had another climb and Tom got out ahead of me, I figured I'd catch him on the downhill.  Well I didn't, so went a little faster.  Still no Tom, so went even a little faster yet.  After 7 miles with no Tom in site, I hit Maple Ck are our last camp.  I was greeted by a naked lady bathing in the creek, she didn't seem to be concerned and we even chatted for awhile .  I was dead tired and it was dark, set up my shelter and started fixing supper.  About ten minutes later Tom rolled in.  He took a short detour to a water fall and thought I was right behind and saw him detour.  So I was chasing a ghost and he was chasing me Smile. Our longest day, 29 miles and 6500' of gain.

Another dark start to our day.  We meandered along the bottom of Stevens Canyon for a couple of miles and then up and up Nickel Creek.  We gained a finger ridge and followed it up.  The smoke had cleared out and replaced with a light drizzle and fog.  We saw another big black bear (along with some blueberry and huckleberry nibbling!) and we had elk bugling on both sides of the ridge, pretty magical.

We kept climbing and were rewarded with some great views.

It was lunch time so we sat down and soaked it all up; could have sat there a lot longer, but we had a long ways to go.

At the bottom of Indian Bar that was a great old stone cabin that serves as one of the camp sites for bigger groups.

Another super steep climb out of Indian Bar, but more great views!

It was evident a storm was rolling in so we picked up the pace heading for Summer Land.

We made it to Summerland, another neat campsite

But a couple of minutes after arriving we felt our first drops.  We donned rain gear and then proceeded to head downhill for 7 miles back to our starting point- White River campground.  22 miles and 6200' of gain.

I doubt I'll ever do the Wonderland Trail again, but it was definitely sweet.  But I will be back to Rainier, definitely want to spend some more time in the higher country and maybe even give Rainier a go- we'll see Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Wow!  Amazing photos, Mike.  And you dropped some serious miles and elevation.  Damn.  Thanks for writing up a report!!

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Awesome... thanks for sharing. Sorry about the smoke but still looks great. Love the forest shot the most. Something about trails in forests that I like.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

mt - I wanna be you when I grow up.

tbd.

Thanks for the report and pics!  That’s some major hustling to do the whole loop in 4 days.  Did you see many others out there (besides the naked lady bathing  Wink?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks everyone Smile

Sandy- I’m living the dream! 

Gatsby- not many folks out. The first two campsites there were only one group (of two), typically would 5-6 groups. The last night (Maple Ck) the site was full. We got there late enough (and left early enough) that the naked lady was the only person I saw there Smile

We met a few folks on the trails along the way, but far less than normal I’m guessing. I think a lot of folks canceled due to the smoke.

Of the folks we did meet, all were on the 8-10 plan- they gave us a bit of a queer look when we said four days!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

WOW is all I can say.  Great trip and pictures.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Incredible views. Must have been even better in preson than the photos show.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

We’re going to try and go back next summer with the wives, much abbreviated, but get into that high country- we’ll be at the whim of the lottery for campsites, but we can each put in for a permit for four increasing our odds a bit.

It is tremendous country so it’s no wonder that permits are hard to get.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Kalsarikännit

Really good pics and trip report.  Thanks you for it!

I did an out and back day hike on it a few years ago and ran into a family with five kids, the youngest being 4-5, that were finishing that day.  They took 2-3 weeks with even the youngest walking the whole thing.  When I asked them how it went they had a thousand mile stare bordering on shell shock.  Ha.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wow- good on them; would be a little challenging with young ones to say the least! 

At first Tom and I were like “we’ll have to get the wives out for this loop” (obviously take longer), BUT after doing the loop, we’re like no way in hell would we take them on the entire loop!  But there are definitely some doable routes without risking divorce! Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Hey Warden. I was just reading that a bunch of bridges have washed out on the Wonderland trail. Was that something you had to navigate, or was that caused by the storm on your last day?  I know you mentioned being re-directed around one bridge that was out.  Sounds like many are out now?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we are told that the South Mowich bridge was out (day two) and they had it flagged to where they wanted you to cross; on the last day we saw a sign that the crossing at White River could be dangerous and advised travel on the road instead (about a mile), so we did

it was raining heavily on Friday late afternoon, but they hadn't seen any measurable precipitation in a long time, so would have to guess that S Mowich was earlier in the year when it blew; what caused the problem at White River I have no idea- couldn't have been the rain we were getting that day as it only had been raining about two hours.  the only guess I had was temps were fairly warm and more melting of the upper snow/glaciers?????

we could see the White River from the road at several spots and it definitely looked a little dicey, reminded of the Bob Marshall Open 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √