Trailer Trash

Mundane Mondailies (Read 252 times)

jonferg67

Endless trails

Ok, I'll get things started today. 

SRD for me today. Had a great 18 mile trail run yesterday, tried a few tricks I

plan to try when my runs get into the 22-28 mile range. 

QOTD: I know this has been asked many times, but since Asics keeps 'updating'

their trail shoes and screwing up a good thing I want to hear what other folks are

using. What shoes do you use for trails?

I use Asics Fuji Racers. My 2nd pair has over 350 miles on them and it looks like they've

revised them with more weight and bigger insole. Frustrating.

Wandering Wally

Possibly resting today, or maybe getting out for a few miles later tonight.  We'll see how today goes.

QOTD - I use the Asics Excel33 trail model which is awesome.  Too bad they discontinued it after only a few months.  Ascis is the only last that fits my heel/ankle correctly.  If they made something like the Cumulus with a trail sole I'd be all over it.  I love my Cumulus for road running.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Trail Dog

Rest day from running, but I will walk the dog 3-4 miles. I wear a weighted vest to improve leg strength. I've only been doing this for a a few weeks so the weight is still very light ~15 pounds. Will gradually increase this over time.

QOTD: For weekend trail runs, I wear the Montrail Mountain Masochists or the Montrail Bajada depending on the length of the run and the terrain. My weekday "trail" runs are mostly on bridle paths, so I just wear road shoes.

sugnim

Nice 10 mile run in the rain yesterday on the Kim Williams Trail.  Mondays are almost always rest days for me.

QOTD:  I just use my road shoes on trails and then go home & pick the pebbles out of the soles with an awl.  I asked at my LRS about Asics trail shoes, and all of the staff there basically said that they aren't worth looking at, which was kind of surprising since I have 3 pair of Asics road shoes that I really love.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD for me as well.  DW and I got in 3 1/2 hours on the trails yesterday.  32 degrees and foggy at the start but by the end sunny 45 degrees.  We did not see a soul out their which is very rare for a Sunday during hunting season.

QOTD: I wore Asics for years,and also got tired of their updates.  I switched a few years ago to Mizuno Wave Ascend for rocky trails.  I used MT101's for easier trails.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I rode my bike yesterday!  Pain free!  That was my first exercise in a month.  It was only 12 miles, but it felt great to do something.  I'm still targeting Christmas to start running again.  This is the start of rest week #5 for me.

QOTD: I wear Montrail Mountain Masochists and couldn't be happier with them.  I also own a few pairs of Salomon Speedcross 2s (great for for mud, but no rock plate) and a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats (they just don't fit me quite right.)  Jon, I wear Asics on the road, so I feel your pain about them "updating" models.

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Not so mundane for me I guess...

Currently in Oslo for business and I originally had today free, but then got a last minute lunch invite, therefore had to “squeeze” in a run this morning.  I’m actually in a suburb called Sandvika which is nice because within a mile or so from the hotel I can get to a pretty good trail heading out into the Vestmarka forest.

Although I brought a light, I decided to wait until first dawn so I got to sleep in a bit.  The trail is mixed with nice flat bits across fields and then technical stuff over the bigger wooded hilly areas.  The air is so clean and fresh you can actually taste it.  Oh yeah, it was freezing cold, about 5 to 10 deg F.  I took a few photos, but then my phone battery gave out because it froze (even with it in the waist pocket of my running pants).  That was about the same time as my water bottle froze as well, but I was able to simply twist the top off and get a drink.  There were other things in my pants that were freezing, but I’ll keep it PG. . .  LOL.

I guess all total I went about 13 miles maybe? I was out for 2 hours or so.  Just a great run in the fairly still and cold beautiful air, out on the trail all by myself.  (BTW, I did tell a local colleague where and for how long I was going.)

qotd: I have been wearing the same Aisics Nimbus road shoes on trails for about 6 or 7 years now, never had any problems and they haven't changed the shoe design much in years.

Some photos along the way today, before the battery died.

Sun still not up, looking out on one of the fields.

The moon is setting over the hill (the white splotch in the middle).  They have thousands of miles of hiking trails here, it's fantastic.

Some technical stuff. I've run on this when this is like a stream, today was dry.  It is much easier when there is a foot or two of packed snow though.

Have a nice day everyone.

Sandy

tbd.

NorthernHarrier

Morning trashy ones,

We are in the tropics here today. Overcast, drizzly, and temps to hit 63F. This just isn't right.

Plan on either some hills or a little tempo. Kind of depends on when the rain moves in. Also brought road shoes along as I really don't feel like doing a mud slog if it gets real nasty.

Jonfer--Nice runnin'. Smooth.

Roxie-- I carry an extra 10-15 lbs around myself. Sadly.

QOTD-- As I have said several times in the past, I love Asics road shoes and this dates back to when the brand was called Tiger but I have tried several of their trail shoe models and they kind of suck in my opinion. But I never learn as I still have a pair of Sensors in my active fleet. They are OK. Other active trail shoes--La Sportiva Raptors, NorhFace Double track, Mizuno Cabrakans, New Balance 876. Not too sure about the Mizunos yet.

Enjoy your Monday everyone.

Occasional Runner

Good morning folks!

I ran 6 miles tis morning and then went to the gym for abs, chest and shoulders. Nothing remarkable.

I hope everyone has a good day!

QOTD: I wear NB MT10's for the trail but I usually wear road shoes for the long stuff (anything over 50 miles). I also have about 6 different shoes in my rotation so I'm constantly conditioning my feet for a variety of shoes.

dpc3

Early morning 4 then 12 on the bike into work. Hope everyone is well.

QOTD: Currently use Brooks Cascadia's and Saucony Peregrine. I hate how the companies constantly change shoes, drives me nuts.

FurShirtFlyer

Morning!

A little bit of speed work and cross-training at Unit PT. We did 200m sprint followed by pushups (15 reps) for 10 min, then 200m with situps (15 reps) for 10 min, then 200m with lunges (10reps). I managed about 3 miles including a warm-up and cool-down.

QOTD: I haven't really found the right trail shoe for me yet. I have NB110s but I like them for shorter (15 mile and below) runs. I also have the MT1010s which I used during Virgil Crest in Sept. I really like them but the tread is delaminating off of one of them. Road shoes I am switching between NB MR10s (love them, 600+ miles) and Brooks Pure Connects. The Pure Connects I like for easy, recovery type runs. I like them but I don't love them.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

it's weight training for today (still a wee sore from my long run on Saturday Smile)

qotd- I've been using Montrail Sabino Trails for mountain environs and Montrail Badrocks for everything else- the only shoes I've found that have a roomy enough toe box

jon- what "tricks" did you try on your long run?  no secret stuff here Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Good morning,

SRD for me as well.

qotd: Brooks Cascadias and Hoka Stinson EVOs (although I stupidly left them at a trail race and am waiting to get them back from the RD!)

nc tam

Looks like I have some catching up to do around here after the weekend!

Fantastic weekend weather here. Spent time on the Mountains to Sea trail both Sat and Sun.  Headed north on the trail for a run on Sat and the headed south on Sun for a hike with the fam.  I love that I can get to the trail from my front door without getting in the car or on the bike.  Both days would have been great long run days but we had too much  holiday stuff going on.  Had to do a bit of recovery sleeping-in Sat and Sun.

Will do weights and core tonight.

qotd:  Montrail Mountain Masochist for longer and/or rockier trails.  I have a Salomon shoe (crazy colors!) that I use for shorter runs but can't wear for anything over 7-ish miles as they start to hurt the top of my left foot.  I have a pair of Cascadias (not the newest version) that I like ok -- somehow I managed to get these about half a size too big so I save them for when I'm wanting to wear heavier socks.  I run trails in my road shoes a lot, mostly from lack of planning (I end up wearing whatever is in the back of the car).  They work fine unless the trail is really rocky and then I have tender soles for a day or two.

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Good morning trailers.

1 hour mtn bike ride tonight after work.  Legs feel really good today after Saturday's trail marathon.

I recently bought a pair of the new Asisc gel Scout and so far their terrific.  Their fairly light an so far I'm really happy with the cushion from heel to toe.  They will be my long distance shoes until something else comes along.

JB

ultraendure.blogspot.com