Trailer Trash

Tight Quad Tuesday (Read 18 times)

LB2

I ran the little 2.5 mile loop this morning. My legs were stiff for the first mile and didn't start loosening up until I started on my way back to the house. I wish I could have run longer.

Sandy: I don't know. I am probably going to run Red Dirt in February, 2019, but I will likely run the 50K. I want to do some other things this winter and don't want to commit to the training involved in a 100. I heard Rocky is now a 4 looper; Red Dirt is a 3 looper for the 100M, and 2 hours closer. I'm leaning toward that one a little later down the trail. We'll see what happens in February. I haven't signed up yet, so you never know.

QOTD: Healthwise, how are you doing right now?

I feel pretty good right now. Normally, this time of year is the most stressful part of my job, but for some reason, I am not at all stressed. I am just moving forward, dealing with the frustration is a very positive way. We should have all of our enrollment done by Friday, but we do have a couple of stragglers that may not come in until next week. I think one thing that has helped is that the duties here are delegated and specific. At my old job, I had way more high school students participating in dual enrollment with the college, and I had to do everything from building classes in the enrollment system to manually entering about 600 students into the system. Here, I coordinate a lot of things and there are actually people who handle the data entry part. Anyway, my BP is usually a little on the high side this time of year, but I had it checked yesterday. It was 112/60. I don't know if it has ever been that low other than the time after shoulder surgery when I passed out. I don't feel faint or anything like that; I am just totally calm.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Had a pretty nice run last night out on the local trail in the evening heat. 6 miles, multiple rolly polly loops, a good pace, probably nearly tempo effort for me these days. I remember stopping at one point with about a mile to go (mother nature called) and I could feel my heart beating fast and sweat just gushing out of my pores. Felt alive. No bugs last night which was awesome.

Anyway, another steamer here today, already about 80 when we walked the dogs this morning, forecast for mid 90's. A cool day for Sandy and LB2, a warm one for us. Plan is for 5-7 miles this evening out at the lake.

QOTD: Other then a gimpy arthritic knee, I feel pretty good. See my doctor for checkup in 2 weeks, so have the standard blood test panels lined up. So far I am just staying under the high cholesterol line. My weight is down quite a bit, which is strange since I have not been trying to lose weight but I have stopped most evening and midday snacking, though I do tend to have a summer weight 5 pounds or so less then winter weight.. Probably my lowest weight since I was a "skinny little boy from Cleveland Ohio come to drink your women and take your beer".

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Holy hot! We're back to hot n humid crap.  I got in 4ish last night in the soup. Oh well.  Can't do anything about it.  Well I guess I could have gone to the gym.  Hmmm....

Still waiting for the announcement from the Queen.  In yet or not?

QOTD: Still dealing with back and sciatic issues.  Doc apt in less than 2 weeks.  I have been dealing with so long.  My mind keeps thinking the worst.  But I hope for the best.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dhuffman63

Trails

Rested again last night.

What is Red Dirt?  I know of Rocky and have considered that for a 100 mile sometime in the future.

QOTD: My Graves is in remission so I feel good most days, sometimes anxious.  I would like to get rid of the allergies and the nagging headache from them. I try and not take anything and they typically go away on their own.  Mornings are the worst.

Sandy-2

I'll do 5 mi after work today. I may break down and do it on the TM at the gym, we'll see. It's a tough choice - run outside in mid-90s temps (again), or inside on the hateful TM.  The lesser of two evils I guess.

LB2, yeah Rocky was 4 loops last year due to trail closures after Hurricane Harvey.  Since all but a few little spots are now re-opened they might revert back to the 5 loop course.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. I haven't heard of the Red Dirt, might have to investigate. I saw that the Coyote 100 mile was drastically cut back to 20 miles, what's that all about?

qotd:  Health-wise good right now (superstitiously knocks wood). I had all those niggles a few months ago, but lots of stretching, rolling, core crunches, planks, torture machines at the gym, hot - cold therapy, slow grinding running, etc. I seem to be through it (again knocks wood, one can never be too careful).

tbd.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yup, we have Sandy and LB2 weather here right now too.  Took a TURD for yesterday's run.  I'll have to sweat out 6 or 7 on trail this evening.

QOTD:  Health is good, but I've been feeling kinda tired lately.  Haven't taken much of a running break all year and I think it's catching up.  Might be a good time to cut down on the miles and rest a bit and wait for cooler weather.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a nice 4 mile recovery hike with Tiny E last night- felt like Fall- 48 degrees   Summer is over here; looks like we have a very nice stretch of Indian summer ahead- 10 forecast shows highs in the 70’s, lows in the 40’s- oh yeah baby!!!!

qotd: strong like horse 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

I ran in the PA sauna today.  Pretty stinking steamy out there.  Ended up cutting my run short and got in close to 6 miles. That was plenty for me today.

Heading to see in-laws in Boone, NC this weekend.  They're getting up in years and have declining health, and since we had no plans it's time for an impromptu visit.  Weather should be cooler in the mountains of NC, so hopefully have some nice running.

QOTD:  No orthopedic problems to speak of, and Lyme issues seem to be pretty rare now, so I'm doing great.  Mentally, I need a vacation, so Boone, NC this weekend and then Colorado for a week sounds like the perfect prescription.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Yup, we have Sandy and LB2 weather here right now too.  Took a TURD for yesterday's run.

Sorry you guys are enduring TURD-inducing weather...

tbd.

GC100k

10 miles on the roads this morning. Moving everything this week a day earlier than usual.

QOTD: Feeling good. Running the most I ever have. Eating pretty good, I have a shot at being under 250 lbs by the Steamtown Marathon. Had a bad day of vertigo on Saturday. Not sure if I would have gone into work had it been a weekday, but luckily it was a Saturday and I still haven't missed a day of work, seen a doctor, or had a prescription for sickness in over 20 years.

LB2

What is Red Dirt?  I know of Rocky and have considered that for a 100 mile sometime in the future.

When I think of red dirt, I think of SW/Western Oklahoma. This is actually in Louisiana, and it isn't the swamp you might think it is. It is actually a unique landscape in the state. Well, it isn't what you might expect. This will be the 3rd year for Red Dirt. There is a 50K, 100K, and a 100M. One loop for 50K, Two for 100K, and 3, plus a short out and back for the 100M.

http://www.reddirtultra.com/

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

Not too far from Ft. Polk where we were stationed for 3 years.  I am looking at the Loup Garou in LA also as I love the name.

LB2

LB2, yeah Rocky was 4 loops last year due to trail closures after Hurricane Harvey.  Since all but a few little spots are now re-opened they might revert back to the 5 loop course.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. I haven't heard of the Red Dirt, might have to investigate. I saw that the Coyote 100 mile was drastically cut back to 20 miles, what's that all about?

After 2016, there was a bit of an issue with Cajun not getting the times posted and just some general dissatisfaction among some folks with the overall experience. It got a bit ugly on social media; some of that was ridiculous. Anyway, there was a bit of uncertainty about whether or not it was going to take place in 2017. So, after several inquiries about whether Cajun would happen or not that allegedly went unanswered, someone decided to put on Loup Garou, which is basically the same distances at the same park, Chicot State Park. I think they did it the second weekend of December. Last year was the first year, and Mark Hammond (3rd at WSER in 2018) ran it in 14:32 for the 100M. I am not sure how he even found out about the event. Initially, Cajun tried to make a comeback this year, but having 100M events on the same course a weekend apart is pretty much guaranteed to sink one of them. I am doubtful that the 20M happens on December 1 for Cajun. With things like this, people who lose interest are hard to win back, especially when you have a quality event at the same locale the next weekend. I always thought Cajun should have abandoned Chicot for a 4 or 5 loop course at Clear Springs Recreation Area in Roxie, MS and have it at a different time than December. Those trails are sweet, yet gnarly. However, it would still be hard to build that up in this local community. I guess I could put one on, but being an RD is a real pain.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nothing this morning...the girls that planned the backpacking trip and no idea how to read a map!  It was suppose to be 9 miles, 8 miles and than 7 miles.  So I naturally assumed a loop.  I checked a map before we went and it was 4.5 first day 1.5 second and then 2.5 day trip out and back with a 5 mile trip back to the car.  I think she was reading out and back from the trail head.  At any rate it was beautiful and fun.

QOTD:  I drink to much...and I have chapped lips right now.  Otherwise I am good.

Maria:  Sorry to hear about your father, I am glad you got to be with him in the end.

Jamie:  #4.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Got in a couple of miles after dinner last night. First run in the dark in months. This morning was fly back to Md, just in time for 95 degrees. At least the humidity has dropped. Probably a quick trip to the gym before we go out tonight.

Marie-- I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. From the stories you have shared here, he seemed like an amazing man (and dedicated scientist). And I hope you get over your illnesses quickly.

qotd: Ok, but my weight has been creeping up (not used to this!) and my pace has gone in the other direction. I am writing this as I'm eating birthday cake.....