Trailer Trash

Deepfreeze Mondaily (Read 18 times)

moonlightrunner

For some of us this is the beginning of a very frigid week. I brought my running stuff to go after work....but I will see if it is practical.

Yesterday's run turned into a hike, but if we get the snow they expect I hope running will be easier.

QOTD: does extreme weather keep you off the trails? It does not usually keep me off the trail, but it often turns a run into a hike when it is extremely cold and snowy.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Tideland 24 Race Report

qotd: extreme weather will not only keep me off the trails, it will keep me off the roads.  It's mostly the cold and wind chill when temps drop into the teens and windchill into single digits.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

moonlight - Hope you can stay as warm as possible.

WC - Sorry Tideland didn't go as well as you hoped.  Glad you are not feeling too sore after the race.  Hope you can get those issue resolved hitting you later in the races.  Rest and recover well.

From the weekend - Most elites only race 2 marathons a year.  The exception would be Yuki Kawauchi who races about one marathon a month.  I'd say 2 a year (at race effort) is a good rule of thumb to maintain health and being able to optimize performance.

Got 49 last week.  All pavement pounding for me for now, so no influence by the weather, except how bad my mood will be during the run.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

NorthernHarrier

Our big bad predicted snow came and went leaving maybe 5" around my house. LOL!  All these dire predictions and they basically shut everything down in advance of it before one snowflake even hit the ground and this was it.  Despite the wimpy snow this time we are now accumulating quite the snow depth around here. Had to go out in the backyard and pack down some trails for the dogs to get around. Bitter weather now for the week. We won't get above zero until Friday.

Today will be maybe 5 on the roads around the hood. Probably soon as the wind is expected to really start blowing this fine powder around. Some weights later.

QOTD--Other than some limited snowshoe running when we get the deep snow like now I am pretty much on the roads. Cold and ice don't bother me but trying to run thru deep snow just isn't all that great.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Enjoyed a great weekend skiing into a USFS cabin w/ DW and Tiny Elvis; 7 miles in, 7 miles out- the out miles easier as a fair bit of descent. More snow than I was expecting- right around two feet and that’s in the bottom of the drainage, hard telling what the higher ridges have.

We got back late afternoon yesterday and decided to hit the local hot springs for a soak, a drink and late lunch. As soon as we got into the water, the snow really started coming down- was pretty neat sitting in the hot water in the middle of a snowstorm!

Back to the grind today, probably a few miles after work.

qotd: it has to be bitterly cold (and windy) before I give up going outdoors Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Just checking in.  No running for me at all despite missing it.  Surgery is on Thursday.  Work today and tomorrow and I took Wednesday off to get some last minute projects done that I won't be able to for a while after surgery.  Don't know when I will be able to run again but hoping recovery goes smoothly.  At this point, I simply look forward to being pain free.

WC - that kind of stuff before a race really sets a bad tone.  I would recommend some meditation before the race to get yourself focused in.  Be like Queen and "be in the moment".  GL on the next one.

Warden - wow, nice chili dogs!

QOTD: I will run in most conditions but it's the driving to the trails that might be affected by bad weather.  I remember a nice trail run last winter during single digits.  I thought for sure I would be out there alone only to have to make my around a large group of hikers (twice).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Pretty decent weekend of running here. The Lady and I ran about 9 miles wandering the easy but hilly trails of Nolde Forest on Saturday, and then yesterday perhaps 8 miles on a nice loop in Fair Hill MD, down my buddies house. Decent weather both days for January. Low to mid 30's. Same weather today, but mid-week the arctic temps will be upon us for a few days. Plan for today is a gym stuff and short run after work. Get some miles in before wimp-out weather hits us.

QOTD: Xtreme cold, I don't like that and will juggle days off to work around it if possible but as long as it's not windy I will get out I suppose. Worse thing that keeps me off the trails is heavy snow or combo with bad ice. I remember a few years back, we had a layer of snow, not that deep, ,maybe 8-10" but it was coated with crusty ice. Miserable to run in. I tried a bunch of times but eventually gave up. In 2010 we had Noreaster after Noreaster and probably 3 foot of snow on the trails through February into March. Not runnable. I was miserable that year trying to train for a 100.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Jamie- here’s to a successful surgery and swift recovery!

DW said it was the best hotdog she ever ate- I’m sure skiing in 7 miles had nothing to do with it 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

No run yet today. Probably 4 miles or so when DS is in the pool tonight.  Or the gym.

Does anyone pay attention to Arrowhead 135? I don't follow anyone specifically, but I do like to follow in general. Temp was -10 at the start this morning, and there is a lot of snow this year in northern MN. Who will prevail under these conditions? skiers? Bikers? Runners?

qotd: I'll run to -5 or so, depending on the wind. I'll ski or snowshoe much colder. Here in the DC area, extreme conditions are when we have a good snowfall that melts and refreezes for large expanses along the trail. If the ice is bad, I'll stay away. Right now, there is ice, but it's not extensive. One year I had to slide down a trail on my ass as the ice was so thick and went over the edge and down a ravine. Even spikes would have been useless.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

We ended up Mt Biking 17 miles Sunday...then I spent the rest of the day cleaning a Quad...deep cleaning...degreasing and all.  I was not too happy getting up this morning...but the run is done  8 miles.

QOTD:  We don't really have extreme weather here in Cali.....that being said I am sure it would stop me from running outside if I lived in the mid west.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today. Sneezing and coughing a storm.  Maybe running through this cold wasn't suck a good idea.  It's worked fine in the past.

Jame - I just looked at your MRI again, and I'm confident that you will have good results on Thursday. Good luck, and give me a call / text if you have any questions.

Warden - nice love shack.

XT - I'm lucky Michaux gets snow mobile traffic. I can always find a place to run that's been packed down.

George - sorry it didn't go as planned. From what I saw, the weather really stopped a lot of people from reaching heir goals.

Moon and NH - we're getting a taste of your weather on Wednesday.  People are already freaking out about t.

Bert - good miles. Sorry no trails.

DC - ice has always been worse in DC. My road as a kid (Tiffany, near White Oak) was always a hill of ice.

Sue - got at least 1 chore done.

QOTD:  We'll see on Thursday.    Normally I keep going for snow. Windchill is what gets me. When I can't get my fingers and toes to stay warm, I'm done.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

SRD today.

wc, sorry to hear about Tideland.  I think you're right, you need to fuel and hydrate more.  You need to treat these things like a movable feast and get in a few hundred calories per hour.  I also agree with Dr. J, you need to look into Queen's zen running mode.

qotd: I hope everyone stays warm during the cold snap (remember that's what we used to call these things?).  Obviously we don't get too much extreme winter weather down here in TX, so not much will keep us off the trails here.  Well, except lots and lots of mud.

tbd.

LB2

Just an easy loop this morning. They are calling for snow late tonight/early tomorrow with no accumulations. We seem to get snow more often down here than we used to. Normally, when they say no accumulations, we have accumulations. When they say we will have accumulations, we generally get some flurries. We'll see what happens.

QOTD: Lightning is about the only thing that will keep me off the trails down here. If it is raining hard, I will probably postpone a run, but I normally don't miss it. Right now, I may just bail on one if it is raining hard. On the rare occasion that we get snow, I run no matter what. Also, I noticed on my facebook "memories" thing that popped up this morning that January 28, 2014 is a day that I actually ran across a creek that was frozen and didn't break through. I am not sure what I was thinking when I did that, but I am glad the ice held me. Anyway, running across a creek on ice in Louisiana isn't something that happens every winter down here. I may try it again across the same creek on Wednesday morning.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

I got 15 on the TM Sunday. Had a massage Sat.  MRI scheduled for the 4th.  I've only gotten one blood test back...RA Factor and it appears that I don't have RA according to that...it's like playing Clue..."what's happening to Diane's back"

qotd: Here in KC it's 27 and a wind chill of 3.  No way no how would I go out on the road or trails in that.  Wed it'll be in the negatives.  I get so cold no matter what I wear and I shiver and tense up my back muscles and make everything worse.  I'm happy to be a fair weather person.