Trailer Trash

My sort of RR (Read 55 times)

I wasn't going to post this here because the running content is very limited, but since quite a few requested it I will do a short report.

The plan was to take my time driving to California from the east coast and acclimate to the elevation on the way out, then hike the entire John Muir Trail.  The drive out was about as planned but the backpacking portion was not.

I rode an abandoned section of the Pennsylvania turnpike on my mountain bike, including three long tunnels.  The road has been abandoned since the early 60's.  I have memories of travelling  that section every year on the way to vacation every year as a kid.

Abandoned Turnpike

I then stopped in Missouri to visit the state high point and also visited a friend I hadn't seen in 20 years.

Next was the Nebraska high point.  Both high points were drive ups.

I tried hiking up the Colorado high point but my body was not ready for the altitude, so I gave up at 12,000' or so.  I was stumbling around, dizzy, and had a killer headache.  At least there was a nice view.

Next stop was Lake Tahoe for so hiking and mountain biking.

Then it was off to Yosemite to start the JMT.  The plan was to ride the full trail (210 miles), but there was a lot of forest fire smoke and it seemed to be getting worse as I got farther south.  I also knew that I'd have to carry 100 miles worth of food if I went much farther south.  So I hiked half way and then headed back north for a couple days before catching a bus back from Red's Meadow.

It was a great trip despite not going according to plan.  It was my first attempt at fly fishing and I caught scores of trout.  The fish in those Sierra creeks are plentiful and apparently hungry.

I was constantly asked about my "little pack".  I pack in what most apparently consider an extremely light manner.  The other things I got constant comments about were my freakishly large calves.  I am genetically predisposed to really large calves which people mistakenly think are a sign of extreme fitness (which they are not, they are the same 19" whether I am in great shape or completely out of shape).

Just to include some actual running content I will mention that I met quite a few trail runners in Yosemite.  They seemed to be having a great time.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

Sounds like a great adventure.  Nice that you were able to stay flexible with the changing plans.

I ran that section of the old PA Turnpike a few years ago.  We parked on Rt 30 at Breezewood and ran east.  We had 1 light for 2 runners and that tunnels was very creepy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Snowdenrun

These pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy pictures of nature running related or not.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing.  I love the last two pictures.  I actually took the second to last pic and set to my work computer wallpaper.  Hope you don't mind.

Sorry it did not go as planned but it sounds like you got in some good hiking.  Curious as to what you did have in your pack since it was "so light" according to others.

And 19" calves? Woah!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks for sharing, TT!  The pictures are absolutely gorgeous.  Nice bike!  How do you like mountain biking without any suspension?

Running is dumb.

These pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy pictures of nature running related or not.

It is amazing what you can do with a cell phone camera these days.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Thanks for sharing, TT!  The pictures are absolutely gorgeous.  Nice bike!  How do you like mountain biking without any suspension?

I have never ridden with suspension so I can't compare.  When I was racing MTBs rigid was still the way to go and the bike is from then (1990 ish).

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sorry it did not go as planned but it sounds like you got in some good hiking.  Curious as to what you did have in your pack since it was "so light" according to others.

I carry a bivy, a sleeping pad, a light sleeping bag, cooking gear, cell phone, very little clothing, food, and water.  Base weight is about 10 pounds if I go pretty minimal.  This trip I had some extras including fishing gear, a bear canister (required there), and some other stuff.  It still all fit in my 45 liter REI pack (Flash 45) and weighed 15 pounds without food or water.  Personally I don't think that is really all that light, but folks seemed amazed.

The fishing rear was worth the weight because the fishing was great.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

moonlightrunner

It sounds like an awesome trip! The pics are beautiful. Makes me want to pack my bags and head out west. Thanks for sharing.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

TT, thanks for the report.  Great photos !!!!!!  So how far did you hike and bike?  And what sort of elevation ranges did you do?

Too bad our tming was off, I'm planning on a hike up the same spot in CO either Sunday or Monday.

tbd.

Birdwell

Great pictures! It sounds like it was quite the adventure.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Sounds like you got your retirement off to a great start!  Thanks for sharing the report and the pictures...very cool.

**Ask me about streaking**

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Woohoo, looks like a lot of fun!  I've been to the top of Mt. Elbert and, you know, it's a mountain. :-)

So how far did you hike and bike?  And what sort of elevation ranges did you do?

I didn't bike all that much, maybe 25 miles.  Hiking I probably did 200 miles or so, 150 of it backpacking.

Elevations ranged from 4000' to 12000'.  Longest climb was probably 5000'. or so

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like an awesome trip. Like your "minimal" packing style!

I recently read that the abandoned PA Turnpike section is going to be made into a hiking/bike trail. I've always been wanting to try out those creepy tunnels, but somehow I just don't seem to make it down there.

Run for fun.