Trailer Trash

Sundailies! (Read 31 times)

Birdwell

Morning folks!

No running for me today. the doc said I broke the 5th metatarsal in my right foot. He then shook his head in shame when I told him about the races and runs I'd done since then.

I'm in a holding pattern until August, and then I slowly get back into running. I'm thinking of a couch to 50 miler program.

QOTD: seen anything interesting on the trails lately?

on my last hike, we found the remains of a deer that had fallen off a 200 foot cliff. At least we think it fell, it was in a spot it couldn't have gotten to any other way. Kind of interesting in a wierd way.

Brian Runner

Rest day. Did a speed workout last night on the track. 10 x 400 , 1 x 800. Headed to the movie theater this afternoon to see Pacific Rim instead.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Afternoon, folks.

Had a great 10 miles on trails this morning, the first half was the sweetest run I've

had in months, the second half was spent swatting flies out of my eyes, got one in

each eye and ate one. Does swatting count as cross-training?

QOTD: Yesterday morning I saw a deer, frog and turkey, today just a momma turkey

fly up into a tree with 3 babies on the side of the trail. She was quite pissed that I

came flying in and scared her.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Happy Sunday, everyone!

24 in the wild this morning, the first 12 of them with my running buddy, then I headed out for a second lap on my own. The fun of the run was that I thought we'd just go for something like 6 miles. So after an hour or so, I thought these were some darn long 3 miles to the turnaround - then I realized what my buddy was up to. So there I was on the trail, with my little handheld, no food, in the heat, facing another 6 or so miles. Hallelujah.

But, I'm known for my stubbornness and ability to take an opportunity as it comes along, and as it was still early in the morning, and my family would get up late today, I decided to double the run.

Bad thing I ran out of water on the last 4, no fun in the heat, and I got hungry, too. So after the run, I was in quite some pain, but fortunately I'm recovering now.

This was a reality check, and it shows that I still have to build up my strength and endurance. So I am prescribing myself more longer runs, less long-ish runs, which are deceiving. 20+ show the areas which need more work, and I am definitely willing to put in the effort!

Birdwell: Ugh. Sounds bad. When I broke my 5th metatarsal (dislocation of the toe included), it took a while before I could wear shoes again, something around 6 months. Undecided But, it all healed up well again, that's the good news. So hang in there, give it some rest, and then start over.

Brian: Have fun at the movies!

jonfer: Fly-swatting counts as core-workout!

QOTD: Live deer, rattlesnakes, and a 70's camping van trying to run me off the road. Nothing else to write home about.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, trailers!

Run for fun.

dpc3

8.5 in very humid conditions, well humid for the desert anyway. It SUCKED!

QOTD: I got nothing

muppy

Try for 5-6 tonight after work.

Ran a 5k race last night, was 91* and dew point of 70. Didn't  think I did so well, so I was surprised that I got 2nd in my age group, guess was too hot for the fast guys!

Birdwell, that stinks, hope for a fast recovery!

QOTD most exciting thing I saw lately was a whole set of allen wrenches.

Sandy-2

It's been a rough few days with very little sleep.  That's two weekends in a row like this.  I need to go back to work so I can relax a bit...

As expected my DD got pulled in her horse race she was doing a 75 miler and got pulled at 66 miles.  She was bummed. but we were prepared for it.  Grrrr....  Such is her luck in Lexington.  Then I flew back to TX last night, she is coming back with the truck pulling the horses.

Anyway I took 2 running days off so today planned to do 20, but there was a lightening early today so I slept in, needed it anyway.  Then did 10 late this morning.  It was freaking hot.  I may do a 2nd 10 later this evening.

qotd:  Lots and lots of horses.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a great run this am, Helena provides a free shuttle that takes you ~ 8 miles up Grizzly Gulch and then drops you off (they have a small trailer on the back of the bus to haul mtn bikes too) and you can run the Helena Ridge trail back to town;  I do have to say this was the first run in a long time where I was really running on "heavy" legs, but it's got to be good training-right? Big grin

qotd: Thursday evening run there were 20-30 (maybe more???) ravens raising all kinds of hell, turns out they had found a great horned owl roosting and were giving him what for (owls are known to take out diurnal birds in the night)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

That's great, good for you! 5K's are hard.

Ran a 5k race last night, was 91* and dew point of 70. Didn't  think I did so well, so I was surprised that I got 2nd in my age group, guess was too hot for the fast guys!

Still foggy and cool here on the coast.  Did 5 easy miles with DH.

QOTD:  last weekend running in the Marin headlands, I saw a load of California quail (photo -- not mine-- below).  They used to be everywhere when I was growing up but then the area around my house got too built up for them.  Love those little guys.

http://sdakotabirds.com/species_photos/photos/california_quail_1.jpg

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Hi all,

Ran around 12.5 miles on the trails this morning. Luckily we had a little break in the heat today (89 vs 99 degrees...) but my clothes were DRENCHED when I was done. It looked like I had just stepped out of a swimming pool. The flies were pretty brutal as well.

I drank about 60 oz. water and 20 oz. Tailwind and was still dehydrated at the end. My body hates the heat.

QOTD:  Nothing of consequence.

Chnaiur

15 miles on walking paths and beaches in SF and along the bluffs in Land's end. I came on on the same time as the last time I did this route, but my perceived effort was much lower. The body is feeling good!

DW took the kids to a bday party, so I finally had some quiet time before my run. I used it to make a ham & cheese sandwich, which just tasted glorious after 90 minutes. It feels it has been ages since I haven't been rushed before and after my run.

QOTD: Didn't see anything interesting. SF felt very quiet today.

I passed a music festival, and expected clouds of mj. Didn't see any.

I passed Ocean beach, and expected lots of surfers. Didn't see any.

I passed Baker beach, and expected lots of naked men. Didn't see any.

I passed the Golden Gate, and expected huge container ships. Didn't see any.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Sandy-2

Did my 2nd 10 this evening.  Still freaking hot.  But Leadville looms.

Another qotd: saw a snake slither away in the dim light of a far away street light this evening.  No rattling, so I'm guessing it was a Copperhead.  Either way I gave it a sort of a wide berth.

tbd.

Chnaiur

Morning folks!

No running for me today. the doc said I broke the 5th metatarsal in my right foot. He then shook his head in shame when I told him about the races and runs I'd done since then.

I'm in a holding pattern until August, and then I slowly get back into running. I'm thinking of a couch to 50 miler program.

Sorry to hear that. I'm occasionally worried about that injury myself. Why did it take so long for the doc to figure it out?

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Birdwell

Sorry to hear that. I'm occasionally worried about that injury myself. Why did it take so long for the doc to figure it out?

Umm, it was more me not going to the doctor for 8 weeks. Black eye

(In my defense, I've been pretty busy with work, and if I went to the doc and found this out before my last race, I would not have started. I also don't like doctors all that much, more for the co-pay than anything else. A lousy defense, I know)