Trailer Trash

GatsbyBird does something Loco -- a Race Report (Read 30 times)

First 100k done!  I was expecting 100k to be hard, but with a name like Loco Go Big or Go Home Challenge, just running lots of miles wasn't enough.  Nooooo, add in many water crossings, snow, rock, heat, altitude, a mud pit, and a bear.  It was awesome!  Super nice volunteers and RD, and a great low key race vibe.  About 20 people in the 100k, plus there were other distances (100, 50k, HM, 5kBeer5k) .  The start and finish were at Butte Meadows, by Lassen National Forest.  The race went up to about 6,000' altitude and there was still a lot of snow up there, good for several miles of fun footing.  The RD had to do a quick rejigger of the race course because the snow was impassible for one of the intended loops and aid stations.  We ran by/in piney forests and full rushing creeks and rivers.  There were thunderstorms in the days leading up to the race but no precipitation on race day and it got quite warm out there, notwithstanding the snow.  Saw lightning in the distance from the last aid station at the top of a mountain, after it was dark, which was cool in an Eye of Sauron kind of way.  The race did not have a lot of elevation gain, about 7000 by my watch, but it sure felt like more.  A lot of the race was on fire roads, with some short stretches of pavement and several miles of single track.  And that bear?  He/she turned up early, about 11 miles into the race, crossing the trail at the top of a hill we were climbing.  Took off quickly in the other direction, didn't want anything to do with us runners.  (Although it did occur to me that I'd be back on that trail, in the exact spot where the bear was, at night when I was heading back to the finish, quite likely by myself...)   But no later bear sightings and I survived pretty intact, although one toe is painful and will probably lose a nail in the near future.  I also banged up my knee when I wiped out on a rocky stretch, but it loosened up and I could keep going.  The knee (and, let's face it, lots of other things) is little sore today so I think some rest days are in order.  Took me 17:24 to get it done.

Met up with ValerieNV, who had the foresight to book a cabin right by the start finish.  She offered me the extra bed, which was great and convenient.  She did the 50k.  I probably wouldn't have gone up if she wasn't there, so she gets the credit/blame.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job on your first 100k... you are a power horse! That snow uggh no thank you.   Surprised you guys weren’t hit with the thunderstorm we had here..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Are you trying to challenge Mike for the gnarliest course to run?  I'd call that Loco Oh no.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Congratulations Gatsby!!!!  Nice job on your first 100k.  The course sounds and looks great. Such clear air instead of the thick humid gunk we deal with in east TX.

Also sounds like you rocked it.  Oh and a lost toenail and bonked knees are part of the fun.  That’s what the odd stream crossings are for...  a little icing and cleanup.  Glad the bear decided to head outta there.  Well done.

Thanks for the report and photos!!!

tbd.

LB2

That is great. I have only run one 100K, but I sure did like the distance a lot. I have a friend who says, "It is long enough to get your attention, but it doesn't beat you up like 100 miles." It beat me up pretty good, though. Congratulations!!

LB2

runtraildc

Congratualtions, Gatsby! Isecond Queen's statement about the snow.  I bet it was slippery and hard to get traction on. And nice piictures- thanks for sharing..

dhuffman63

Trails

Nice job.  I've developed an allergy to technical trails so I'd have to say no thank you but it was pretty.  Thanks for the pics.  I can definitely cross that one off any stupid idea list I have.

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations and nice job.   Looks like a beautiful day in the woods.  I've seen some pictures from WS training runs and the snow isn't going anywhere.

I'm sure the RD had his / her hands full with the re-route to get in the distance.

No RA / RWOL picture with Valerie?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Nice! That sounds like a wonderful day on the trails. I used to run Laurel Highlands every year. At 70 miles, it was like a long 100k but as LB says it's a great distance that you can wrap up before bedtime if you have a good run. The sight of lightning in the distance at night is always very surreal. I remember one time at MMT climbing a mountain late in the race at night with the skies flashing around me on/off. Too bad it was raining then too. Anyways, congrats on the race and wow are those skies bright blue. The 100 is next or so they say?!!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Fantastic!  And it was your first 100K?  Why do I find that hard to believe?  In any case, that's a tough one to boot and you earned ever inch of it, bear and all.  Hope that toe gets better soon (I'm sure it will).  Congrats!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Thanks, all.  My toe is still pretty unhappy but otherwise I'm feeling fine.

Queen, I think I was looking at your thunderstorms from the aid station at the top of Mt. Colby.

WC, lol on Loco oh-no.  Warden is in a class by himself when it comes to gnarly adventures.

Sandy, I think the butt-high icy-cold river crossings helped my knee and legs.

No RA / RWOL picture with Valerie?

Dangit, forgot to take a pic!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

Way to go!  From the pictures looks like you got a little of everything in one day.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

nice job and thanks for sharing. that rocky section looks like fun! Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Color me surprised that this was your first 100K too!  For some reason I always think of you as someone who has done a whole bunch of distance stuff.  Congrats on an awesome first 100K!  Your time was similar to mine, but on a way harder course.

Gorgeous pictures!  Love those stream crossings!

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

Wow! Congratulations! Sooo beautiful and what a smorgasbord of terrain!  Beautiful pics.

What was the temperature variance throughout the race?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k