Trailer Trash

Wake Up Wednesday (Read 19 times)

LB2

A woke up to rain this morning, again. It is going to be tough to get 100 miles this month. It probably won't happen, and I am okay with that. I can't get in a long run Saturday because I need to be pouring concrete by 9AM and have other things to do at daybreak. But there is Friday night...

QOTD: I got nothing.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Still sort of mild here this morning for the ritual 2 mile dog wog routine. I was ahead of schedule and beat the school bus meaning the Lady and Baker received pets and admiration frpm the elementary school kids waiting for the bus. Plan to run at lunch up at the local trail and then get the dogs out for something short later as well.

Solo run fail last night as Baker hung out with me all day in my office, waiting for his run. So I took him along, though I gave the Lady a rest. Easier running with one dog. We did about 5 miles in the mist and fog up at Coventry Woods. It was pretty nice, grey, calm, and peaceful. I sort of like foggy runs.

QOTD: Hear any good, unusual music lately?

I was listening to Deep Tracks on satellite radio on the drive home from FL on Sunday, and had pulled off I95 to take some back roads through MD and PA for the last hour of the drive home. Instead of zipping speeding cars everywhere I was on a lonely "go at my own" pace type of road. Some song came on the radio. I couldn't quite place it until the lyrics started. It was a super slow, raw, and long version of Helter Skelter by the Beatles (take 2). It sort of mesmerized me after being on the road for 16 hours. Not for everyone I suppose, but I found it interesting. Especially the guitar licks.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

First day of Lent. Time for preparation and reflexion, or if you're a former Catholic, like me, no change.   I used to give something for Lent, and growing up we never ate meat on Fridays, but not anymore.

Drizzling and foggy out right now, bu still plan on lunch time run on the roads near my office. If it stays foggy., I'll play it safe and skip the run.

Bert Update:  "Just wanted to let you know that my major surgery is scheduled for Monday, March 9th at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

They will perform two major operations at the same time.  First, is a total laryngectomy - removal of voice box and routing the trachea to breathe through a stoma.  If all goes well, they will use the existing stoma for the tracheotomy.  However, the major risk is that there is too much radiation damage to the tracheotomy and they may have to cut a lower stoma in the neck.

Second, is the repair of the damaged esophagus.  A plastic surgeon plans to use a skin or muscle graft from either my leg or upper chest to replace the radiation damaged section of the esophagus.  If there is too much damage and that cannot be done, then a thoracic surgeon will have to perform a gastric pull-up where he removes the entire esophagus and pulls the stomach up and attaches it to what would be the start of the esophagus in the throat.  Hopefully, the patch will work and we won't have to do the gastric pull-up."

QOTD:  XM channel 26 is on almost all the time, so same old classic rock for me.

Edit:  Live music- we heard some interesting guy 2 weeks ago at "Gettysburg Rocks".  Bands all over town for 3 nights, and each play for 1 hour, so you can get some really eclectic groups. This guy played bass and sang. Was strange to hear only a bass playing, but he was good.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning folks. Misty morning here and no run yet today. Might just be a cross training day. Last night's brewery run was a nice one-- fast, a little hilly, perfect weather and a good beer afterwards.

Bert-- thinking about you in this next round. Thanks for keeping up updated, as hard as it may be.

qotd: Nope. not a big music person.

Sandy-2

Shit.  Man, hang in there. Sending positive thoughts and vibs from me and my DW.

qotd: I mentioned the other day that we're streaming "The Young Pope" after the third or forth episode they added the opening credits and theme music, an interesting instrumental take on Hendrix' Dylan's - All Along the Watchtower, it goes well with the opening.  Seems it's by a British rap artist, Devlin.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtYyZ2HNUk

I'll do 5 or 6 mi after work today.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Best of luck with the surgery Bert- will hold positive thoughts for you!

had a good time yesterday evening visiting with a bunch of game wardens (current and retired) that I haven't see for about 6 years; lots of good stories swapped Smile

will get Tiny E on the trails sometime today (yesterday was my Friday ), might hit the gym as well; will get packed up today as I'm heading out on a two day backcountry ski trip- have Forest Service cabin rented (same one I had rented earlier in the month and couldn't go as I came down sick)

qotd: after watching the documentary on Laurel Canyon, I've been listening to a lot of the mid to late 60's stuff- I think you would be hard pressed to come up with such a plethora of good music in relatively short span

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Praying for Berto

QOTD: I have been listening to a lot of Mike and the Moonpies, Turnpike Troubadours (even though they are on an extended hiatus), Cody Jinks, Flatland Cavalry, Jimmie Dale Gilmore's and Dave Alvin's album, and various other country-type artists that you don't hear on the radio, or even XM very much. I think there are a lot of legitimate issues with technology and how it impacts our daily lives, but one of the wonderful things is that it opens up opportunities for people who might have never reached a receptive audience if they had to depend on a record company. The talent out there is amazing, maybe better than it has ever been.

LB2

moonlightrunner

LB: sounds like you are going to be busy. Hope you get your run in if you want!

XT: sounds great...a misty, foggy run with a canine e companion, says the digkess woman watching the snow fall  The music sounds perfect for the setting!

AT: Thanks for the Berto update. Hope the dog allows a good run.

Berto: thinking of you! So glad they are moving forward with a plan.

Deepwater swim this morning. I added anle weights, hoping it would be more challenging. Really did not notice a difference. I wish I had a full two hours, but work and pool hours make it impossible.

Qotd: I mostly listen to classic rock...pretty much stuck in the 70's and 80's. I have been listening to some Disturbed ane Five Finger Death Punch and Metallica as well. I dont really know what classification it is...just listen when my mood fits.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Ultra Cowboy

Bert - Best wishes for your upcoming surgeries. Sounds like you are in good hands with multiple options.

New place for pub run tonight.  Corks and Taps in Windsor near the Town Green.

QOTD:

ML had a customer come in right after closing for shoes.  He was at the Hotel across the street and a little drunk.  He said he needed comfortable shoes for a fishing trip he was leaving for in Orlando with Tyler Childers.  He also said he hung out and played with Sturgill Simpson

WYBMADIITY

Save

LB2

QOTD:

ML had a customer come in right after closing for shoes.  He was at the Hotel across the street and a little drunk.  He said he needed comfortable shoes for a fishing trip he was leaving for in Orlando with Tyler Childers.  He also said he hung out and played with Sturgill Simpson

Tyler Childers is another artist who I have been listening to for quite some time now. In fact, I was thinking about him this morning on my way to work, wondering how he interacts with Sturgill Simpson since they are touring together.  There appears to be some controversy about an interview that Sturgill did with Uproxx or something where he was bashing his label and saying some things like he wasn't excited about the tour or the record and things like that. Anyway, Childers strikes me as a person who is very confident about his talent, but also has some humility. Simpson seems confident in his talent, but lacks humility. Either way, I am big fan of a lot of Tyler Childers' work, and I recognize, respect, and like some of Simpson's work. I'd go fishing with either or both of them.

LB2

LB2

LB: sounds like you are going to be busy. Hope you get your run in if you want!

Qotd: I mostly listen to classic rock...pretty much stuck in the 70's and 80's. I have been listening to some Disturbed ane Five Finger Death Punch and Metallica as well. I dont really know what classification it is...just listen when my mood fits.

I have a patio that I am determined to build myself.

Years ago, a friend of mine was in a band that won a "Battle of the Bands" contest and got to open for Disturbed in New Orleans. That must have been pretty cool. I am also a fan of Five Finger Death Punch. They catch some flack from people saying they pander to military and first responder types, but I like them. Maybe they pander toward me since I was in the military, but I just like the tone they have in their music, just a big sound. I have seen Metallica a couple of times, but most of my favorite stuff from Metallica came from the 1980's. I have always been a huge fan of music. One of the main reasons I started running was because it gave me a chance to listen to music by myself. Now, I don't even listen to music while I run, but I still find time to listen to music often.

LB2

Bert-o, thinking of you and hoping for the best on the 9th.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Tues: 10.2 miles yesterday. Great run!

Wed: 4.2 today.

Still cold, was colder today with negative temps overnight.

Predicted 40 degrees on Saturday!?! WHAT?!?

qotd: I appreciate music. I enjoy world music, alternative rock, classic rock, tend to listen mostly to Lithium on Sirius XM if I'm not listening to talk/news stations when on the road. I don't listen to music at all when running especially on the mountain trails. I need solitude and not be plugged in. I get irritated with those who have speakers on when I'm running.