Trailer Trash

Sloppy Sundailies (Read 32 times)

Marley and I had a nice but sloppy and muddy 3 mile trail run.  The snow and ice are pretty much gone with only a very few small patches left.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I bagged my planned long trail run yesterday and I am kinda glad I did.  The one condition I like to run in the least is cold and rainy.  I don't mind the mud but this would have been bad.  So I got out early this morning for a shade under 13 - mostly road miles but was still nice.

I tried tailwind for the first time.  My run wasn't really long enough to need it but I figured it was a good time to play around with it.  I liked it.  A longer run will better solidify if it works for me.  But I like the taste and consistency.

QOTD: In a race, where do you line up? Up front, middle, end, or wherever?

Me - usually in the middle or front of the middle.  It depends a little on the distance and number of people.  In my HM days I once started at the front with the elites.  I PR'd that day but certainly not because of that. IT was kind of fun to see the elites take off right away and leave me having no chance of keeping up even in the first mile.  Most of the time I do not care.

Have a great Sunday all!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

some call me Tim

Good morning, all. Probably RD for me. Yesterday I got in 20 on the road with a good amount of vert and then was out the rest of the day for Pi day festivities.

boyjame - I'm a relatively recent convert to Tailwind. It's taken me some time to get it totally dialed in, though it really works when I get it right. Especially in these colder months I've found that if I mix it too weak I have a problem getting all the water in and end up underfueled as a result. Yesterday(38 F, overcast), two 300 cal/18 oz bottles were perfect.

qotd: Front, usually, though I'll move a few rows back if there are enough truly fast people in the race.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hi all,

DW and I are on Hilton Head Island for the week. I just got back from a

leisurely few miles on the pathways. After such a brutal winter it felt so

good to run in shorts again, not to mention the 55 degrees and being

able to see the ground.

QOTD: I'm a definite 'whatever'.

Daydreamer1

Spending another day at work so It looks like this will be a rest day. Maybe I'll do some stretching and walking lunges later this afternoon.

Yesterday's 10 miler never materialized. Instead I substituted a sprint workout and some stair-climbing.  DS and I were in the garage about ready to finish up tearing some broken parts off his car (tip of the day --- never buy a BMW). DD came out to just talk and then went back inside. A few minutes later she came running back out yelling that there was smoke in the cellar. So I sprinted full speed through the house, bounded down the steps into a sauna. The water heater was gurgling and the relief valve had popped releasing steam into the basement. So I jogged over to the breaker box and turned it off. The thing is 32 years old and has been giving problems. It was going to be replaced within the next week or so anyway so I ended up doing that yesterday afternoon instead of going for a run. A lot of going up and down the steps so at least there was some training going on. Did a little balance and strength workout with what was left of my day.

Jame -- I've been playing around with the Tailwind too. Since I always take in some calories on any run over 8 miles so I've been using it quite a bit. Still not sure it will provide me with the total amount of calories that I need on longer runs, but it is one of the few things I can stand to add to my water.  When I finally get into runs of 15-20 miles I may use it with Perpetuem to see how that works.

QOTD: The first races I did I started in the middle. That worked well. When I got into doing longer runs I moved more towards the back  and just planned on passing more people. This year for Hyner I would like to start towards the front to avoid the backup getting onto the first section of singletrack.

moonlightrunner

Sunday dinner with the parents, DD, DGC later. Funny...made a cake that included a frosting mix, misread the directions and added a whole stick of softened butter..along with all the required ingredients. LOOKS ok..what stuck to the panTASTES ok...so I probably just added hundreds of calories.  It is days like these the world a doctor!

Qotd: I line up in the back of the pack. I am usually a little faster than the slowest...but I prefer having to pass others than to be in other's ways.

Looking forward to 10 miles late this afternoon. It is long for me, but if I have to do some walking...so be it. It is a BEAUTIFUL day out.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just got back from work, and I am frustrated: At 4 a.m., it was much warmer than now! There were even a few flurries blowing across my windshield.   Another cold front moving in. 

This does not make it any easier to get out the door, and the wind (it was so strong that I needed both lanes on the highway this morning, and almost blocked my car door) is just nasty.

Oh well, braving the elements once again, here we go. Planning on around 10-12.

QOTD: Most of the time in the back of the first third of the pack. I used to start further in the back, but came to realize that I lose many places and some time just waiting for the other people to start running. But it also depends on the number of participants, the distance, and my goal. In a 50k or a 100-miler with 140 people, I don't really care, but in a 5k or a HM with 800 people, I do.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

DD1: WOW! What a day! I hope your wife realizeshow lucky she is to have you! Sounds like you can fix almost anything. If she could clone you she would make millions!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

muppy

Got in five point 5 hilly road miles last night.

Jamie, and others too, what flavor tailwind are you using? i've been thinking about trying it but don't want to get stuck with a nasty flavor.

Couch, that's how it is in Hershey PA also, the temperature dropped  6° with winds of 45 mph.

QOTD I tend to line up toward the back of the middle of the pack.

A little over 17 miles, 3,350 of gain for this mornings long run. Felt surprisingly good afterwards, no ankle pain. Started before day break, finished up before it got too warm. (High of 79 here in Denver today!)

Qotd: back. Always. Im still "new" to racing in my head, so always paranoid about starting too far up. Would rather pass than be "that guy" that started too far up.

some call me Tim

Muppy, my favorite is Manadrin Orange, but I always tend to go for the citrus flavors. Lemon was ok; grape was a little weirdly floral.

you should get a 'stick pack' of the single servings and test em out. it's pretty cheap

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

might try and squeeze a run in a little later

got back from a snowshoe trip in the Elkhorns this morning, built a debris shelter and cover it w/ a tarp and snow- wasn't quite enough snow for a snow trench

I was testing out a new system to take dayhiking for an unplanned night out, using a down half bag (comes up over your waist) in conjunction w/ a down parka- the temps were pretty milld (mid 30's), but it worked pretty well

qotd: I'm definitely a back of the packer 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Got in 9 miles with a 20+ mph headwinds most of the way.  it was a point to point route.  It just gets bothersome after a while.

qotd:  solid middle of the pack

Daydreamer1

Jamie, and others too, what flavor tailwind are you using? i've been thinking about trying it but don't want to get stuck with a nasty flavor.

I ordered a bag of the plain. I don't really like too much flavoring in my water, it always seems to make my mouth sticky. The plain is pretty good for not doing that. Every now and then a swig of plain water cleans everything out.  They had sent a tube of the Mandarin Orange and I actually liked that.  2 scoops in 24 oz was just enough flavor to taste it but not so much that it was overpowering.

Watoni

Another gorgeous 45 miles and about 5000 vertical on the bike out to the coast. A bit cooler than yesterday. That makes about 9:15 on the bike this week and 13 hours in the last 9 days. Before that I had done about 3 hours on the bike all year.

Getting antsy about seeing the doc about my Achilles on Tuesday.

QOTD: I normally line up mid-pack, in some shorter events I should probably move up due to the conga line, but in anything 50 miles and above I should be far back!