Trailer Trash

Your thoughts on hydro packs (Read 49 times)

Gator eye

I ve tried a Ultimate Direction SJ and hated it. The bottle were terrible and bounced and the pockets were just about a inch out of reach while running. I returned it. I also tried a Camel back , don't remember which one but I remember it had a serious bounce and felt uncomfortable after just a few miles. Now I am looking at a Salomon Advance Skin S-lab 5, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend but if it's comfortable and doesn't bounce I would have no problem putting out the extra cash.

What pack do you like?

LB2

I have an UltraSpire pack. It is a great pack. But it was given to me, no bounce at all. It is like it isn't even there.

LB2

Birdwell

I've got an UltraSpire pack as well (the Omega). No bounce, fits great. My only complaint is that it's a little big (Which is a stupid complaint, because I bought it because it was big, but my wants in a pack have changed over time).

next pack I get will either be the UltraSpire Surge or the osprey one Lace keeps talking about.

LB2

That Ospey pack is good. But you really need to practice getting the bladder opened and closed. It can be a little annoying.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

I use a 2L Nathan's but I'm not happy with it, bladder is a real PITA. I'm looking at

either the Osprey 1.5L, or one of the Salomons. My only feedback is that Nathan's

are 'affordable' for a reason.

I ve tried a Ultimate Direction SJ and hated it. The bottle were terrible and bounced and the pockets were just about a inch out of reach while running. I returned it. I also tried a Camel back , don't remember which one but I remember it had a serious bounce and felt uncomfortable after just a few miles. Now I am looking at a Salomon Advance Skin S-lab 5, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend but if it's comfortable and doesn't bounce I would have no problem putting out the extra cash.

What pack do you like?

The s-lab  5 is good, just make sure you get a bladder that fits. I tried squeezing my 2L into that and it's clearly only made for a 1.5L

Until I splurge for a 1.5L bladder, I will stick with my old standby, Nathan HPL 020. It's a little bouncy but big enough to put a bunch of food and a headlamp in.

Gator eye

The Salomon s-5 doesn't come with a bladder?

Chnaiur

I ve tried a Ultimate Direction SJ and hated it. The bottle were terrible and bounced and the pockets were just about a inch out of reach while running.

I like everything about that pack, except that the pockets are 3 inches out of reach for me. I find that the bouncing goes away as I find my rhythm.

I'm in the market for a new pack, but it seems really hard to find something that does what I want. I hate bladders for example, so that's out. I'm also large, so most vests that come in only one or two sizes are out. I loved one of the other UD vests, but the largest size was too small

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

The Salomon s-5 doesn't come with a bladder?

Not the 2013 model. Older ones did.   This one comes with 2 hydroflasks instead. And a bladder insulater....but no bladder.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-lab-advanced-skin-hydro-5-set.html

And to give you an idea on size for the Salomon, I had ordered a XS/S which ended up being too small, so I returned it for a M/L which fits great.  I am 5'7", 155 lbs.

Gator eye

Oh that's not what I want, I want a bladder in the back.

sugnim

I really want one of those Ultimate Direction packs that have the two bottles in front instead of the bladder pack.  But, they are pretty pricey, so I stick with handheld bottle, and in the summer, my dog carries an extra bottle for me in her doggy pack.  What a nice pooch.

muppy

I have the salomon S5 (I think that's what it's called) and I really like it, it has the bladder in the back and plenty of storage space for me. I did see it and a few other ones on runners warehouse liquidation page, I think the code "FB15D" still works for 15% off the clearance stuff.

Gator eye

Oh, that a good deal ^ ,  118 delivered

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I won a Gregory Pace 3 and it blows away my previous GoLite pack (not a running specific pack).  It is a women-specific model, though, and I don't know if there's an equivalent for people without breasts.

I don't like the bladder that much but I can swap in my Deuter bladder.