Trailer Trash

Tottering Tuesdailies (Read 22 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Time to get back to running, or walking as the case may be.  Limiting today to walking around a short park loop so I can bail whenever and not overdo it.

Apparently a number of age group national and world records may have been set at D3.  The RDs and timer are in the process of verifying all the facts before publishing a list, but one of them is bhearn breaking his own 200K national age group record for 50-54.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

This morning's run surprised me. I was sort of running a little behind schedule, and I have a super busy day. I stepped off at 5:55 AM. It was 56 degrees and a little bit humid (87%), but the dew point was 52. Apparently, that is my perfect running weather. I ran at pretty close to my tempo pace on the trails, but it felt unbelievably easy. I should have kept going, or I should have run faster. I was holding back a lot.

QOTD: What do you consider your perfect running weather?

I once thought it was when the temps were in the low 30's, but after this morning, I am pretty well sold on low to mid 50's, at least for the dew point.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

George D3 sounds like a great venue.  My first 24 hour at Lhotse may change my outlook to fixed time events as I like the idea of company throughout, close by aid stations, stopping to rest if need be, walking, and no DNF.  I have enough of those already. .  I love your race reports.

Yesterday I walked up and then down the hill at work with a co worker and then at home after work I had to check on the horse I have who foundered recently.  She's getting up there in years so I worry about her.  Seems to be doing fine.

QOTD: Definitely not 30's or even 40's.  Since I basically walk my ultras and even in training with just a little running in 60's work just fine for me.  I'm convinced I'm part lizard as laying about in the warm sun is my idea of paradise.  It's odd because supposedly people with Graves aren't supposed to tolerate heat.  I can't tolerate cold.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I ran...a mile last night.  Legs feel good, back feels good.   Will repeat soon.

George - congrats.  I will check out your RR later.

QOTD: 50's or 60's and a slight breeze.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got 4 miles of the trails with Tiny Elvis yesterday, good 1500’ climb and going to put this one down as heat training as well- 80 fu&king degrees!

hot today too, but cooler weather on the way

will get out for 4-5 after work

Queen- snug as a bug in my poncho/tarp, even rained a little that night (and froze to the shelter at some point)

qotd: somewhere in the 40-50 degree range, dry and no wind

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

qotd: I'm with Diane, 60s and partly overcast or cloudy, moderate to low humidity.  I don't tolerate cold well and have problems with the heat and sun.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NorthernHarrier

Another morning canoeing with coffee. The good life.  No running today but there will be mountain biking over on some state land. My mt. bike venue I went to yesterday was open in spirit but they had probably 75% of the trails ribboned off and closed yet. I biked an hour but was repeating a number of sections.  Otherwise today will be a relaxing day around base camp here.

The forecast for my event on Saturday continues to deteriorate with a high of 43 and rain.  Oh yay!

QOTD--well not 43F and rain.    More like low 50's and dry.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Definitely not running today but will walk the dogs...having some heel pain so may buy some Hoka for the cush.  Couple of things about my run yesterday.  I must of fueled right because I wasn’t even hungry after.  Kind makes a fruit snack that was so yummmy and I had 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.   I have a pint size bladder with a filter on it.  Came in handy to get water from streams...called BeFree by Katadyn.   My Solmans have 322 mikes on them and the tops already have holes!  WTF!  I may see if REI will replace them.  For $140 I think we should at least get 600 mikes. Hmmm $0.50 a mike.

QOtd:  depends on distance but guessing a nice 50 to 60 so I can wera shorts.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Walked a few miles last night around the neighborhood as we had a break from the rain. Will get back to the (soggy/muddy) trails this evening for my usual 5-6 miles.

QOTD: I've raced pretty well in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even 80's. Theme here is I like warm I suppose. I will say when I was road racing at my threshold low 50's or low 60's was the best. My marathon PR though had temps between 45 and 75. Warmed up quick that day. Most of my ultras have been in the woods/shade so 70's felt ok.

Sue - Nice long run yesterday. I hear you on dirt roads. When you've been running single track trail for miles and miles a stretch of even dirt road can suck the life out of your soul. Laurel Highlands 70 miler has one mile of gravel road around mile 62 just before the last aid station. I wrote about how you run that thing in my last LH report.... The only road section of the course is here right before the station. It's a mile plus straight haul up a gravel dirt road to the aid station. The gas line road they call it. It slopes upward in the distance and I bargained with myself. Jog it up to where the hill starts. You can take a break then if you like. I hit the slight grade and just kept jogging. Run until you can see the aid station then take a break. Another bargain. I saw the aid station. Well I can't let them see me walk it in. So that's how you run the gas line road.

NH - Canoeing with coffee. Sounds like a book or a nature show. :cool:

Dr Jamie - Happy dance!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Got in 2.6 miles of dedicated walking yesterday at work. Wanted to get in 4 miles but it was far too busy for that.

Not sure what today will bring. DW wants a nice long walk but she hates walking in the rain and that's all it's supposed to do the remainder of the day, or at least until about six.

QOTD: 50-65, Partly cloudy.  Anything colder then that and my hands get cold and my knees get stiff. Warmer and I have to deal with dehydration. I'd rather run in warmer weather though then colder stuff.   Oh yea, lower humidity. Not like the southwest dry, but certainly dry enough that when you sweat some of it evaporates.

dhuffman63

Trails

Did my hill workout on the TM at the gym...was even able to jog on the inclines and even did some on the decline.  I can tell tomorrow's chiro appt is needed as I felt "unbalanced" the whole time.

Those of you that go to the gym...if someone is on a piece of equipment and gets off, walks away and doesn't leave a towel or anything, do you assume they are finished?  I like the first TM as it does incline and declines.  When I got there an older gentleman was using it but before I could get going on the 3rd TM he got off and left.  I figured he was done.  Well he came back and I was well into it but if he wanted it back I'd have hopped off but he said no problem.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran logging roads out and some swamped trails on the way back.  Water rushing down the trails in several spots, and the usually small stream crossings were knee deep and fast moving. Feet were pretty cold when I was done since it was 45* and breezy out. Nice run, probably close to 8 miles, but not sure because I've never linked the run this way.

Gatsby -  I've stayed in Lahinch a few times (playing golf and closing pubs with my brother) and the coastal ride up from the Cliff of Moher to Kinavara is beautiful.  Love the castle there, and we've been to a nice pub with water views (Pier House or something like that).  If your Dad needs someone to check in on the place, I'll go.  A RA group trip and meet up in Ireland with some Fell Running would be fun.

XT - what clubs did you get?

Jamie - 

QOTD:  A day a little warmer than today.  Mid 50's is my ideal running weather.   Read an article years ago that 54* was the perfect marathon weather, and I'd agree.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Did my hill workout on the TM at the gym...was even able to jog on the inclines and even did some on the decline.  I can tell tomorrow's chiro appt is needed as I felt "unbalanced" the whole time.

Those of you that go to the gym...if someone is on a piece of equipment and gets off, walks away and doesn't leave a towel or anything, do you assume they are finished?  I like the first TM as it does incline and declines.  When I got there an older gentleman was using it but before I could get going on the 3rd TM he got off and left.  I figured he was done.  Well he came back and I was well into it but if he wanted it back I'd have hopped off but he said no problem.

" he got off and left."

I used to go to the gym quite a bit. The above quote says enough. He left it with nothing to mark it as still in use.  It was free for the taking.

Sometimes I actually like to run on the TM. It gives a great workout that you can really tailor to your desires. And it's a great way to train the brain for really long runs. But sometimes I hate going to the gym because of people like him.

I'll encounter people like that at my gym who think that a certain piece of equipment is "theirs".  They'll stand in like and give dirty looks if you are on "their machine" even if others are available.

XtremeTaper

AT - The new Callaway Epic Flash driver and 3 wood, and a set of Taylor Made P790 irons. I almost went all Taylor made but the Callaway Woods felt better on the range. I went to a demo days fitting last month at Foxchase golf club. Back to regular flex shafts. My senior swing seems to feel better with that as opposed to stiff shafts. Queenie.. we are talking golf here. Haha.

DHuffman - Yeah, I'd assume he's done too but I notice TM runners sometime take a break for bathroom or water.

Dreamer - Worse yet is the smart phone workout types. They sit on a piece of a equipment for 10 minutes. One set, stare at phone, stare at phone, stare at phone, one set, etc...

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

seems to feel better with that as opposed to stiff shafts. Queenie.. we are talking golf here. Haha.

Noice!! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √