Trailer Trash

Foam Roller, "The Stick" or Rolling Pin? (Read 41 times)

Messenjah

What do you use when you have an issue? I am having some problems with my achilles/calf right now and I have been told to massage the calf but not sure which is the better option.

AT-runner

Tim

I have the "Stick" and a foam roller.  Like both, but prefer foam roller.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

I have a "stick" which I like to use if my calves hurt. But I also have a (cheap, lame) foam roller, which I use for piriformis pain relief.  Both are good for quad pain. I hear the foam roller is best for IT band pain also. I'm looking to invest in a better foam roller with the "ridges" for extra torture Smile

Brian Runner

I have both.

For the calf you could use either. I tend to use the roller at home, but I'll throw the stick in my truck to have before and after races.

For the actual achilles tendon I'd go with the foam roller. If your ankles are skinny like mine I think you'd find the stick rather uncomfortable, and perhaps even a bit dangerous.

Ultra Cowboy

Good diagram of places to massage

WYBMADIITY

Save

Messenjah

Everything that I have been reading says to roll the calf above the achilles and not to roll the actual tendon as that can irritate it. Is this true?

I have both.

For the calf you could use either. I tend to use the roller at home, but I'll throw the stick in my truck to have before and after races.

For the actual achilles tendon I'd go with the foam roller. If your ankles are skinny like mine I think you'd find the stick rather uncomfortable, and perhaps even a bit dangerous.

jonferg67

Endless trails

This little nugget of information discusses the benefits of foam, the stick,

tennis balls, etc. It also shows techniques for using each item and what

area it helps. Good info.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

I used the foam for a calf issue this past winter, seemed to do the trick.

Brian Runner

Everything that I have been reading says to roll the calf above the achilles and not to roll the actual tendon as that can irritate it. Is this true?

I don't know why you'd roll the calf above the tendon if the tendon is what hurts and is already irritated. I roll what hurts, though I rarely have any issue with my Achilles tendons.