Trailer Trash

RIP Sir Bentley K Bond (Read 27 times)

XtremeTaper

Seems odd to post a dog obituary, on a running forum no less, but I need one last set of words for closure I suppose. Plus SirB, he spent a long time on the trails with his papa.

It was 15 years ago when you came into our lives. Such a long time. I was barely a runner then, having completed only a handful of races and a few marathons.

You were such a talker. One thing everyone will remember about you is your bark. It was so loud and piercing. You let everyone know you had something to say. Some would find it annoying and of course we did at times too but it was part of your personality. I remember a time we went hiking in GA on a quiet November day and as we arrived at the trail head you were barking like crazy in excitement as usual. So loud. It really annoyed some southern douche bag couple we saw later on the trail. Screw them. You were having fun and enjoying life not walking around with a scowl waiting to be angry.

As a puppy you grew up with Bonnie and Betsy. Bonnie thought you were her baby and Betsy thought you needed to learn some manners. It was a big pile of springer spaniels in the house in those days. Those 2 did fight over you some during those early years but you were as gentle as could be. Betsy passed about a year after your arrival and then it was just you and Bonnie for all those years. You two did everything together and became my trail running partners when you were old enough. So many trips to the woods with you both in tow, and you barking all the way to the trail. Once there, the barking stopped.

So many good times on the trail. Probably our favorite memory besides seeing you plopped down in a stream or creak was the day out at Green Lane when Judi and I were on a nice easy fall walk with you and Bonnie. You decided to be bad and took off down the trail after something. We were shouting and sort of angry but out in the distance we soon saw a small herd of deer running along on a hillside and 10 seconds later there you were doing your darndest to catch those deer. We both laughed at that one. It was comical in a way. One step behind. You were very fast in those days but not deer fast. We both remember that visual so clearly.

Unfortunately Bonnie passed at a young age due to cancer and you were an only dog for several months until we had the courage to adopt the Lady Bailey. You always had sad droopy eyes but when Bonnie passed you clearly felt the void. You were so sweet to the Lady. She had entered our home nervous and confused as a 5 year old rescue and I don't remember any fights or meanness on your part. In fact the first picture of you together you are laying next to each other on the couch.

You helped the Lady learn the ropes of being my trail companion. For a couple of more years we all ran together until that night sometime in 2013 when you retired from running. I remember it clearly. My work day was done, and I was getting ready to head out for a run with you two as usual. The Lady was out the door ready to go but you just sat there in the chair looking out the front window not budging, seeming to say enough. After that you ran with me a few more times but mostly just went for walks on the trails and in the woods. If only some of use aging runners could be so wise.

There many more years of good times. Many road trips as a family. Visits for down south to see family, Acadia, the White Mountains, Amicola Falls and the Georgia Mountains, Sanibel Island to name as few. You and the Lady always went with us on our travels. Remember when you crashed the GSP rescue group party? So funny that day. We went out on a nice walk beforehand with Judi and her friend. It seemed randomly you would bark on/off during the walk. We finally figured out it was when Judi's friend took the lead on the trail. You liked me up front, the normal order of things, and when it wasn't that way you barked. The photo from the party that day was so funny. A crew of german short haired pointers, the Lady on one side of me, so happy and appears to be laughing and this fluffy black and white spaniel sitting on the other side of me crashing the scene. I am sorry. Did I spoil you german short haired rescue party?!

Which reminds me our trip to the beach at Assateague Island. This was when we still had Betsy and Bonnie. Betsy loved the ocean and we were giving her a special day as her days were winding down. Again, on/off you would throw a barking fit as people walked by us on the beach. Not everyone. Just certain people. Judi finally figured out it was people carrying sandals. Those people were bad, I guess because the night before you had been bad and I gave you a rap or two on your backside with my sandals. Some memory you had.

I can keep going on. I remember how you stole Bonnie's job of being the morning news paper fetcher, sometimes even going as far as stealing the neighbor's paper for me as well. And the one morning when it rained and they put the paper in slot under the mailbox and not on the ground you still found it. You had that gentle springer spaniel retrieve mouth and only a few times did you read the paper (shred it to pieces). The Lady will never get the paper for me.

Well, the good times are over but never forgotten. Rest in peace Sir Bentley. We love you and miss you and there is a big hole of emptiness in our home. Even the Lady who is so calm and stoic notices your absence and is sad. The last few months were difficult, but we did all we could to keep you comfortable and we won't dwell on that. I am wishing you a happy reunion with Miss Bonnie and Betsy. Hope you see your litter brother Brutus too. We picked you over him, and you were the best choice that day. You will always be part of us.

Photos

Song, Marillion Estonia

In dog beers, I've only had one.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Sorry for the loss of Sir Bentley , 15 is a good long life,  RIP good dog .

dhuffman63

Trails

My condolences.  Sounds like a good boy.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sorry for your loss.  I love the picture of Sir Bentley curled up on the blanket next to the book on advanced marathoning.  Such a story there.

Thanks for sharing the memories with us.  RIP.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh, I'm so sorry, XT.  I've always enjoyed your SirB stories over the years.  He was a good boy and a wonderful friend.  We'll miss them forever after they're gone.  <3

Running is dumb.

I’m sorry, XT. Thanks for sharing your memories of SirB.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Dave, I'm so sorry for you loss.  And yes, this is the perfect place to post an obit for a loving running partner.  RIP Sir Bently.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Sorry for your loss. Quite the handsome pup.  Good memories and thanks for sharing.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

"I remember it clearly. My work day was done, and I was getting ready to head out for a run with you two as usual. The Lady was out the door ready to go but you just sat there in the chair looking out the front window not budging, seeming to say enough."  OMG this statement got me so choked up...sitting here crying at work.  What a great tribute to Sir B.  I love his droopy eyes, such a sweet face.  He's going to be missed.

#133 love..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

moonlightrunner

What a wonderful tribute to a loving companion. Happy for your wonderful memories, and thank you for sharing.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Sorry XT.  RIP Sir B. Nice memories.

tbd.

runtraildc

I'm sorry to hear that SirB has passed. Springers are the best and 15 was a good. long life (and with such a trail running 'career').

XtremeTaper

Thanks all for the comments. It was very therapeutic to write a few words about SirB.

Sue, sorry to make you cry. We always had a song or two for our dogs. SirB's song was Life's Been Good, by Joe Walsh. I can't remember why we picked that tune, but it fitted his personality especially in his early days.

RunTrail, yeah the Lady is our first dog that wasn't a springer. Gotta' admit she is a great breed too. SirB ran until he was about 10, then he just shut it down and lost interest in running, but enjoyed his woodsy trail hikes. Our other springers passed around 13-14 with the exception of Miss B who got the cancer and passed at 9. So he outlived them all.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

You provided Sir Bentley such an adventurous and happy life.  Sorry for your loss, but those special memories are everlasting.  Rest well Sir Bentley.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks for sharing- sounds like Sir B brought you a lot of joy; you can take some solace in the fact that all dogs go to heaven- I know that has to be the case

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √