Trailer Trash

Hot Hot Fridalies (Read 22 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Welcome to the first day of summer.  We have a heat advisory and that seems about right for the first day of summer.  It's been cooler and wetter than normal.

qotd: weekend plans?  I'm leaving work early, driving down to Tulsa to babysit DGD while DD and SIL get away for a short weekend to celebrate their anniversary.  Then Sunday I fly out to Austin for a Certified Fraud Examiners conference.

I had the most god awful cramp in my left calf last night...so bad it woke me up.  I took an S-cap later so we'll see if the helps as it still hurts a bit.  What does anyone do for that?

I also figured out one thing that isn't helping my back and that's sitting in bed reading before going to sleep.  Can't maintain good posture.

XtremeTaper

No heat here. It's humid and sticky yes, but we have yet to reach 90 degrees this year which is unusual. Raining again this morning, but I believe the forecast is for the rain to end soon. It's rained every day this week. Yesterday, several times with breaks of sun. It's reminding me of the wet summer of last year.

Anyway, took the Lady out to the lake last night for a wet muddy sloppy 5 miles on the rocky/hilly side of the reservoir. Surprise, it was pouring when we got there, but let up after a few minutes. A few wet people came popping out of the woods as we started our run. They got the brunt of the downpour. Lake is high, up over parts of the trail in a few spots where the trail dips low. Other spots the trail was much like running through a creek. Let there be sun please!!

QOTD: Well, the grass and weeds are growing in front of my eyes so take care of the grass at least, get in a round of golf, a few runs, and my buddy is coming over to visit with his dog on Sunday, so the Lady will get some company.

Dhuffman -  No advice on the cramps. I've had them but not very often. Grimace, cringe, and wait for them to pass, and then no sudden moves.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Going to walk at DW's work over lunch for a bit. She's has a "Longest Day" walk for Alzheimer's Awareness.  Each year she tries to get people on their 3/4 mile path using it all day long.  Last 2 years she had someone on the path at some point from sun up to sun down.

Had some blood work. Good news is my triglycerides (54) and cholesterol (191) are both really low, bad news is Lyme titer is up higher than last year, which means I probably got a recent second infection. So I'm on Doxy for a month or 2 (again).  Had a feeling something was up since I was starting to get more "bad" days. Yesterday I could barely get up off the chair, I was so fatigued. I had outside hopes of running A Race For The Ages, but think I'll have to cut back and recover.

QOTD:  yard work and clean-up. All the things we didn't do when we were gone the last 2 weekends.  Trail run with distance TBD.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I skipped my run last night.  Gut not feeling great.  Such is life.

dhuff - calf cramps and I know each other well.  For me, it's a sure sign I am dehydrated.  I grab my calf and scream bloody murder in my head.  It subsides and my calf is sore for two days.  When I get them, I get them pretty bad.  But they are one of the reasons I drink mainly Gatorade/powerade.  Being so thin, I have learned that I need to stay hydrated.  The worst is when I get the 24 hr stomach virus and cannot keep anything down, I always get dehydrated and expect the cramps to come.  It's awful.

QOTD: I would like to get in a decent run but that is to be determined.  More painting of DD's room.  Maybe some pool time.  Need to mow the yard - it's a jungle.  I think the rain is subsiding.

Have a great day and weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dhuffman63

Trails

Tim when you say a second infection is that from another tick bite or is it like my Graves where I go in and out of remission depending on my stress levels.

Mine is weird in that I can have the crushing fatigue but at other times I have what my mom used to call a "nervous itch" where I just can't sit still...that's the hyper phase and if I can't get it under control it can spiral into a thyroid storm where I drop weight and my HR and BP skyrocket.  That's where the walking was helping.

Jamie, how do you identify you are dehydrated?  I'd read that clear or nearly clear is a good indication of hydration and mine is almost always good.  I'm wondering if it's the electrolytes in me out of whack and I should start drinking something other than water, tea and coffee.

AT-runner

Tim

Tim when you say a second infection is that from another tick bite or is it like my Graves where I go in and out of remission depending on my stress levels.

Second tick bite.  I never saw a tick or had a rash, so not sure when, but based on an increase in symptoms, probably 3-4 weeks ago.

Daydreamer1

Yesterday was really busy during the day. For the night I got some fitful sleep in so think I'm going to not take my normal nap and try to get caught up with my work.  Everything's a wet mess since yesterday's downpours and we didn't even get as much rain as some places did.

Gonna finish putting in the garage door. Mrs Wren was already giving me the evil eye and chirping at me.  Might just have to wear ear plugs so I can hear myself think . It's amazing how much noise a few birds can make when they are in a small enclosure.

We might get in a walk. Have some people coming to look at some part from my Pickup that I put on Facebook Marketplace.  Not really sure if they speak good English so we'll see how that goes.

QOTD:  Mostly work around the house.  It's supposed to be nice so maybe a bike ride or two.  Tomorrow I have to go and pick up a big safe. Weighs about 780 lbs.  Working that into the house should be fun, fun, fun.  DS thought that I should have had it delivered until I asked him to pay the 400-500 dollar bill for delivery.  I told him that's what I have a big strong brat for .

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sorry to hear that.  That sucks...a lot.  (no pun intended)

Second tick bite.  I never saw a tick or had a rash, so not sure when, but based on an increase in symptoms, probably 3-4 weeks ago.

dhuff - I don't usually know when I am getting dehydrated.  But I do drink Gatorade or PowerAde daily.  I do not drink water.  My body seems to thrive on the electrolytes...or maybe the sugar. I notice when I drink other stuff, I often do not feel like my thirst is quenched.  So I stick with my norm.  I am not suggesting you do the same, I just know that worked for me.  It's possible you need more electrolytes.  Fruits & Veggies have electrolytes.  So does yogurt.  And I usually eat yogurt every morning.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a really nice 5 miles in the Paradise Valley with DW, brother, sister in law and Tiny Elvis. Took a nice long soak at Chico Hot Springs after- life is good

tim- sorry to hear that, hopefully you can knock it out quick

qotd: family is leaving tomorrow morning early, probably a longish something Saturday or Sunday

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Mike, that picture looks like it could have been part of our Saturday's race.

Before and after this talus section, it was like a jeep road in your picture.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nice; that’s the stuff it never fails that I step on one rock wrong and whacks me in the ankle! 

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Quick drive by, I’ll try to come back later.

Did 11 mi this morning, it was absolutely brutal.  Humid and 82 deg at 5am.  Took a few walking breaks because I had to.  Hot Hot indeed.

tbd.

NorthernHarrier

11 miles of technical and vertical trails in the Porkies. Tried to keep a sustained effort going, did it but I'm now a little tired. Temp in the mid 70's here with a little breeze. Quite nice.

dhuff--I agree with Dr. Jamie. Usually a sure sign of dehydration/messed up electrolytes.

QOTD--DW should get here anytime now but really nothing planned. Relax and enjoy life.

LB--forgot to ask you--what's your bourbon of choice?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Happy First Day of Summer!

I wish it was hot here. Instead, it's just warm and humid. Not hot and humid, just warm enough that I don't shiver without a jacket outside. Not a Florida-like weather, which I could more appreciate.

Getting ready to head out after picking up DS from Summer Camp. I'm so excited because I have a day off tomorrow - yay, I can sleep in for once again.

Jamie, dhuff: As I am very thin, too, I also have the dehydration problem, and often it is exacerbated by my job, where I have to move around a lot in a warm environment, but can't drink. I have noticed a few years ago already that  less body fat makes me much more prone to dehydration (running or not), seems that the fat tissue is also a great water storage. I also get cramps when I get dehydrated, and I try to drink tea with a little bit of sugar as soon as I notice it. Taking some Magnesium (small amount) and eating something high in potassium (banana, melon, potato) also seems to help. Or just pop an endurolyte, if you have them at home (I don't).

AT: Sorry for your Lyme flare-up. How the heck did you get the first infection, and now the second? Any chance it is not transmitted by ticks only? I hope you are feeling more energetic soon again. I sometimes suffer from debilitating fatigue (probably long term effect of a lack of sleep over a very long time), and it really disrupts life.

DD1: It does not sound very safe to go pick up the safe, just saying. I hope you're the man with a plan.

warden: Looks and sounds like a great hike. Your and AT's picture look like the talus section on the midstate trail around here. I might post a picture if I can find one.

Sandy: Willing to share a few degrees with us East Coasters up here? You can keep the humidity, though.

QOTD: Run, straighten out DS2 who will be returning from his Myrtle Beach vacation with his friend and their family, and get yellled at at work - again (why-oh-why is it always me??)

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Still no run..mostly because I am packing.  I leave tonight fir Michigan fir two weeks. Told the DH I would stay home as he is stressing about the move but he said go.  Guess I’ll just have to deal with the guilt phone calls.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄