Trailer Trash

Wacky Weather Wednesday (Read 254 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ok I will start again.  An hour at gym this morning - bike and legs.  Didn't know if I would be able to go.  We have some weird winter weather.  Can't make up it's mind if it wants to snow, sleet, or rain.  I think we got a little of all three.

QOTD: Have you or do you ever go out of your way to find new and sometimes remote trails?

I am a little obsessed about this.  Anytime I drive I am looking at the mountains (well hills in comparison) and wondering how I can get up there or are there trails in that area.  I want to find remote trails that few people know about.  I have to find them...

Have a great day everyone!

Oh and Scrapster - love your potty training/underwear story from yesterday.  Made me laugh when I read it this morning.  Funny now but I am sure it wasn't at the time.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

morning!

4 easy miles last night with DS.  Had planned to go to the gym this am, but the rain and the bed's gravitational force kept me home.  Will go instead after work tonight.  Our wacky weather has been constant rain or drizzle since the weekend.  I know this is normal winter weather for other parts of the country, but a bit out of the ordinary for here.   The sun is forecast to be back this weekend, I only wish it would be sooner.

qotd-- often, usually when I'm traveling.  For work, this means cities and then local parks that I can deem relatively safe or that I know already.

Trail Monster

75 minute easy run today.

QOTD: I will search the Internet for trails I haven't run yet. I have to have a map or a running partner because my sense of direction is pretty hopeless.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LB2

I am planning on getting a few miles tonight and some longish runs this weekend, Friday afternoon, Saturday morning. It is supposed to snow tonight. I will run in the snow, but I try to avoid the cold rain as much as I can.

QOTD: Yes, I look for trails all the time. I found one Saturday, but it didn't go very far off the gravel road. It stopped at someone's deer stand. He or she wasn't hunting Saturday. I trespassed, but no harm done.

LB2

Morning folks!

Got in 8 miles yesterday, but broke them up into two 4 milers since it worked better with my schedule.  Ran the same route for both (the path around the lake just down the street from us), and for some reason the morning run was much faster than the one after I had been standing on my feet all day Wink  As for today, I may join Weegee and his fast friend for a few miles (and by "join," I mean ride in the car to the trailhead; there's no way I'll keep up with them).  Or I may make today a rest day and run tomorrow instead.  I'll make the call in the next few minutes!

qotd: I enjoy running new trails, but for safety's sake I prefer to have a running partner.  Last week a friend and I ran a new trail and had a great time!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

morning all Smile I found out yesterday that running ins snowshoes (even one designed for running! is very hard on unpacked snow, snow ranged from 3-12" due to all the wind we've been having, but averaged around 6-8"- completely unpacked.  I "ran" 4.5 miles and it took me almost an hour and a quarter to do it- I was hammered!

I'm going to head out earlier this afternoon (was a little late yesterday) and try and get 6.5 miles- some of the loop will be where I've already traveled, my hope it's a little easier go in those stretches- eventually I just may be able to get 10-15 miles of trails half way beaten down so I can actually run Big grin

qotd:  absolutely, at least once a week I head out on "expeditions"- taking off on a faint trail or open ridge and see if I can loop it back into something, often it ends up being for naught, but more than 3/4 of the "trails" (most of these are not trails in the traditional sense ie manmade, but deer deer trails or just open enough areas to run) I'm running are ones I discovered.  We don't have much of a trail system on this side of the state, so you need to find your own.  Quite frankly it's more enjoyable as there is no one else using these "trails" and the scenery and wildlife viewing are great

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Last night I ended up killing my "easy" workout, but not on purpose. I ran 2 miles home from work @ 7:48 pace...I ran a really fast 1st mile and wanted to challenge myself to keep up the pace for the 2nd mile.  After walking the dog for 30 mins, I ran 3 miles to volleyball @ 9:04 pace. My "easy" pace is around 9:30.  Oh well. 

Tonight I'm doing hill repeats in the middle of 6 miles, probably around 15 100m repeats. My boyfriend might join me as well. He's an excellent athlete, but not in his peak physical condition, so I'm looking forward to being on pace with him haha.

mtWarden - that snowshoe run looks like a great workout!

On this rainy morning, Marley waited in the car for a couple hours while I caught some fish. Then we went for a slippery 5 mile trail run. It was mostly off camber and technical single track trail. It was slippery enough to he hard to stay on my feet, but I managed to.

QOTD:  Yes quite often.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Watoni

Ran a steep two miles last night before cooking dinner for the family in the dark. Even with a good flashlight it can be spooky up in the redwoods. Used my Minimus Zero Trails, which are pretty good and feel better on my ankle (and will hopefully help strenghen it).

Work this am and 27 degrees, so maybe the afternoon (lunch?)

I love the snoeshoe pics ... yes an unpacked trail is really tough, but fun. Reminds me to make sure I have gators for the weekend!

sugnim

Yesterday I learned that I need to add more days of running to my schedule to make my longer runs more comfortable.  And, wouldn't you know, I wasn't able to get out for a run last night.  Tonight, however, my SO will be at the pottery studio for 3 hours so I have plenty of time & no excuses.  7 miles planned for this evening.

QOTD:  Not really.  There are so many trails and mountains around where I live, and the seasons are so drastic from each other that it always feels like I am running somewhere new.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Hi Trailers,

Late again. We got about 4-5 inches of snow last night, which is now getting slushy and partly melting away again. Rest day for me, enjoying studying instead.

This morning, when I drove the kids to school, most of the cars were covered in snow. I wanted to make my boys think, so I pointed out a car with no snow on it, and asked them if they could figure out why. My 4 yo answered: "Because this is a snow-proof car!"

Scrapster: Our youngest ones seem to have a lot in common... Big grin

warden: Sorry your snowshoe run was so exhausting, but your experience makes me feel much better about my own snow adventure last week: 2.5 miles in heavy, deep snow (after running 6 miles mostly uphill on packed snow), and I bonked. Glad you haven't thrown away the snowshoes yet, way to tough it out and keep going!

Oh, almost forgot:

QOTD: Sometimes, but not very often. There are many trails in my area, and I have been on most of them at some point, so although they are technically not "new", the ones I run less often seem "new" when I have not run on them for several months.

Have a fun day, gang!

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My knee feels weird and have a 22 mile run planned for Saturday so SRD.  I woke up this am and had two dogs sitting next to each other at the foot of the bed waiting patiently (until I opened my eyes) for their morning walk.  It was too funny.

QOTD:  Definitely!!!  I get tired of the same old same old all the time.  Once we were cboat camping on Lake Shasta and I found a trail I could run.  So I asked my husband to take the boat over there so I could check it out.  This lake has lot's of fingers and as we entered the finger we saw a bear swiming across the lake.  This area is so remote that I chose not to run after seeing that bear.

mtwarden:  Lot's more work. running in snow and with snowshoes.

watoni:  Hadto re-read your post as keep reading it as "ran a steep two miles last night while cooking dinner.."

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

KreegSauceRuns

4.5 soggy miles at lunch.  Ready for this rain system to get out of here and for some sunshine for this weekend's race!

QOTD:  I enjoy running new trails.  Sometimes I'll venture off the beaten path if I notice something new that I haven't seen before.  I hate driving long distances though to a trail when I know there is a runnable one close to me.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

NorthernHarrier

Well I've had better days and hopefully I will again....like maybe tomorrow, can't get a whole lot worse. I know I shouldn't whine and it does no good, nobody cares, and surprisingly people start avoiding you. Kind of like your former friend that sells life insurance or Amway. But I digress...    Anyway I may still just go do a little 4-5 mile shuffle down a nearby bike path. I should anyway.

Longbeard--That's great. I have followed paths like that myself into stands, illegal baiting, etc. Walked thru their cameras and made sure to smile. Luckily have never stumbled into someones illegal crops or heard any strange banjo music.

QOTD--I love exploring. It can be running,canoeing, backpacking, hunting, fishing, whatever. I just have a need to see what's over that hill or the next lake.  My wife will say it's just more woods and water but I still have to check it out. Some people like or need to explore and others just like to stay comfortable and follow the script.

I often deal with that choice when planning my canoe trips. I have a number great places I know where the fishing is great, the camping is awesome, etc. and I have gone back to those spots a number of times. But I'll also say to myself that I found those areas by exploring so out comes the pile of maps. So many places to explore and I'm not getting any younger.

Ultra Cowboy

Going to pick up a training mate so I get to drive in the carpool lane to the Fun run tonight.  Might save me some time I hope!

I'm always willing to explore a new trail.  Not many unknown trails around home.

WYBMADIITY

Save