Trailer Trash

Topical Tuesday (Read 17 times)

LB2

Made a nice little run this morning of the 2.5 mile loop. I see we still have a buck running around here. He appears to have crossed the road at the bottom of the hill a couple of hundred yards from the house. A nice 8 point got hit on the road some time last week. He was up the highway from the end of our road, but the bedding area where I got the buck last Monday goes into that property. He was on the western edge of it and that distance is nothing for a deer to travel, maybe 3/4 of a mile to a mile through the woods.

QOTD: Any new apps or gadgets that you have downloaded and/or purchased that make your life easier lately? or did you get something like that for someone for Christmas?

• I just got a BaseMap app on my phone. I downloaded the free version but am considering upgrading. It is a map/gps/rangefinder/boundary map/trail finder/etc. It really does a lot for free. The upgrade will get you the names of the landowners in the marked parcels.
    • My brothers, sister, and I went in together and got my dad a pair of FirstLite Corrugate Guide Pants. People may wonder how a pair of pants can make your life easier, but these pants are really amazing. The pocket design is perfect; the stretchy material allows you to move freely; and they aren't stretchy like skinny jeans. They are, by far, the best article of clothing gear I have ever purchased for myself or anyone else. Even if you don't hunt, you should take a look at them. They have other colors that are not camouflage, and they are just wonderful for hiking.

LB2

runtraildc

Hi all. The rain continued all day yesterday so it was a rest day. Chowder and I got out for a long walk before dusk. The rain had stopped, but it was windy and cold. Nothing yet today, but I'll get something in, especially since we have a snow-rain storm moving in later.

qotd: The latest app is Glympse, which allows you to follow someone, with their permission and for a predetermined time. Works on androids, too, so DH sends me a link to follow him, usually when he's out on the river. I forget to use it when I'm out running alone in the woods, but I want to get into that habit.

LB2

qotd: The latest app is Glympse, which allows you to follow someone, with their permission and for a predetermined time. Works on androids, too, so DH sends me a link to follow him, usually when he's out on the river. I forget to use it when I'm out running alone in the woods, but I want to get into that habit.

Sounds similar to Life360.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength trained yesterday after work; will get out on the trails with Tiny Elvis this evening

qotd: no new apps, but a new phone- I had a iPhone 6S that was seven years old; phone was fine but the battery life was really falling off, especially in the cold. Got a $350 trade in towards a iPhone 12, the battery life is wonderful. Used it pretty extensively Saturday in the teens (camera and gps), that next morning it was still at 80%!

few pics from our snowshoeing trip

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Got up and did 5 mi at 5:30am this morning.  It was about 40 deg, 85% humidity and windy so it felt a bit colder.  But I was a little over dressed, which was ok since I told myself I needed to go slow today.  I only saw one other person. It's raining now and will do so for the rest of the day, that's why I got my ass outta bed this morning.

mt - once again great photos.  Do you go to the same (of similar) areas in the snow and without the snow?  Is it easier or harder to follow trails?  It must look completely different. . . .  yet familiar.

qotd:  No new apps or gadgets lately, but I did put in for an iPhone 12 through work.  My current old-ish 7s battery life is dwindling and it get's hot when it's over-worked and quick charging.  Time for a new one.

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

I was able to do a whole 5 minutes on the TM this morning and god help me it was hard.  I thought I was going to throw up and I was only doing 2 mph.  Kidney disease is no joke, avoid it at all costs.

XtremeTaper

5 last night on the trails in the post snow muck at the lake with Baker. Night much to report. Lower left leg crankiness is improving but still there. I suppose that is what happens when you are streaking. 

Today, had an appointment for work out at a hospital in the country. It was a quick in and out thing, so I took Baker along so we could stop at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area for a short trail run. We ran through here back in the day of point to point horseshoe trail adventures with my buddy but I've never ran the other trails out there. In fact, this place was the start and endpoint sections of our adventure. Found a nice loop of about an hour with a decent climb/descent up/down a ridgeline and a flat section along Middle Creek to close the loop. It was cold and wintery, 20's but sunny and calm so very nice. Quiet and peaceful. A bit of snow on the northern side of the slopes  gave the run a proper December feel.

QOTD: No new apps or gadgets here. Oh wait.. my new AVR allows audio streaming so that is something new that I've used.

DHuffman - Sorry to read of your struggles. I hope some progress can be made.

MT - That sky is bluer than blue!

Sandy - Walked the dogs by headlamp in the dark this morning. Did see one maniac runner such as yourself!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sandy- this new country for me this trip, but I will often visit familiar to me country in the winter. Route finding in the snow is often difficult as the trail is obscured with snow and even things like cut logs that help you to discern where the trail is are covered as well. 

This trip, in addition to the snow, we had really dense fog up high which made for really difficult route finding. We made a couple of errors, one climbing this super steep section, only to find out the next day it wasn’t necessary Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Extended my "recovery" run to 5.6 miles just in case the weather forecast is right and we have a double digit snowfall Wednesday and Thursday.

QOTD:  No new apps or gadgets.  Christmas presents and usually food and drink, so none there either.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

6 miles today before conference calls started at 7 am. It was cold (for us, low 40s), dark, and no one else was out. Am I doing it wrong?  

Sandy, you can keep the 5 am calls, 7 am is plenty early for me. 

warden, XT, thanks for the pics. But ooof on the extra climb in the snow and fog. 

DHuff, nice to see you checking in. 

QOTD: we got an Amazon Firestick not too long ago. I’m happy with it, good access to sports and shows, although I’m still several years out of date. E.g. we’re watching House of Cards now, everyone on the show uses Blackberries.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice 5 ish with most of it in the woods, thanks to the guy who drove his truck through there leaving me some nice packed snow.  Sunday’s run was a fresh 8 inches which really gave me a work out blazing the new trail.  When I hit the pavement my legs felt a bit jelly.  Whoo welcome to Michigan.  Located a running group so may run with others Thursday.  I like having others to run with.

Qotd:  I had an REI check for months, so I down loaded my bank app and deposited the check via this app.   I’ll let you know if the mobey gets in the account....This from a person who holds there finger up because it contains “copy” info to paste.

Warden/Sandy:  I also have the iphone 6 with no battery life and the cold just turns it off.  Ready for a new one.

dhuffman:  Sorry to hear your health is failing, hope things turn around for you soon.

Runtraildc:  Is there a reason you two are tracking each other  jk

Moonlight:  Just got my Michigan DL.  Currently living with my folks  so I can totally understand what you go through after only a week.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

This trip, in addition to the snow, we had really dense fog up high which made for really difficult route finding. We made a couple of errors, one climbing this super steep section, only to find out the next day it wasn’t necessary Smile

Hey, it's all about the journey. 

tbd.